inTank Media Baskets

Yet another NC6 setup

vg30et

After a 3 year hiatus from reefing, I decided to get back into it with a simple & small AIO nano. My goal is to stick with stock lighting (upgraded to NC6 3.18W PCs), a minimal sand bed for aesthetics and stay skimmerless.

Here's the tank as it develops:

8/31: Tank after 2 day bath tub stress test and other goodies:

post-30896-1190432617_thumb.jpg

9/14: Chaeto added, small $5 frag of Zoas added. Diatom bloom subsiding. Night shot:

post-30896-1190434354_thumb.jpg

9/21: GSP has attached itself to wall, grown 10+ new polyps. Added Hammer & purple shrooms, 2 hrs afterwards:

post-30896-1190434700_thumb.jpg

9/29: Goby + Pistol Shrimp pair added:

post-30896-1192376021_thumb.jpg

10/8: Tyree LE toadstool + zoas added:

post-30896-1192376053_thumb.jpg

10/12: ORA digi + stag added:

post-30896-1192376060_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
SPS under 3.18 lighting? Interesting, I didnt think it would be enough light.

I have my concerns as well. The montis should do fine but I am keeping a very close eye on the stag. If any of them show signs of distress, they will likely end up in my old 30g w/ 250w MHs. As for now, I'd like to see if I can keep them healthy & growing in a small nano under PCs.

is that the ora delicate stag?

Yes it is, obtained from a local reefer's tank.

nice thats one of my favorite sps, how long have you had it under pc's?

what kind of lighting was it in before you got it?

Only 2 days so far under pc's. It came from a very well lit tank - 29gallon with a 250W MH and 2x 65W actinics. I'm going to attempt to take some closeups to track its growth (or lack thereof).

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is rapidly filling up with corals and things seem to be doing well. Thought I'd post a little progression pic from birth to now.

Sept 21

fts_092107.jpg

Oct 14

fts_101407.jpg

Oct 28

fts_102807.jpg

WOW... Have you ever had an issue with JBJ's cracking?

No cracks yet but it's in the back of my mind. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing my NC6 and it seems that most JBJ cracking issues had to do with the NC12 and 24's. Only a few NC6's cracked from what I recall.

AcroporaLokani
No cracks yet but it's in the back of my mind. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing my NC6 and it seems that most JBJ cracking issues had to do with the NC12 and 24's. Only a few NC6's cracked from what I recall.

Yea a few months back i researched on nc6 crack rates and only a handful seemed to have cracked, but i did not have the guts to risk it so i went with an AP 12.

Your tank looks AMAZING. Hows the growth on that acropora?

Yea a few months back i researched on nc6 crack rates and only a handful seemed to have cracked, but i did not have the guts to risk it so i went with an AP 12.

Your tank looks AMAZING. Hows the growth on that acropora?

Thanks, the aussie delicate is growing some new stalks and has encrusted over the epoxy so it seems to be doing well. The digi is also growing but I'm not happy with the color so the plan is to decrease feedings (despite having no detectable nitrates) and work on adding some additional light.

Other than that, I am battling zoa eating nudis which I thought were eliminated once but have now come back again. They seem to pick on a patch of zoas for a few days causing them to close up then hop over to another patch. I have ordered some lugols and will do a dip in the next few days...

What kind of lighting comes stock in those things. . . 3w upgrade, doesnt sound like much . . . I was suprised to find my cheap all in one 6 gallon tank (FW) came with a 27watt pc light.

Anyway great lookign tank.

PS: how do you take your close up photos, they ar eall so great.

What kind of lighting comes stock in those things. . . 3w upgrade, doesnt sound like much . . . I was suprised to find my cheap all in one 6 gallon tank (FW) came with a 27watt pc light.

Anyway great lookign tank.

PS: how do you take your close up photos, they ar eall so great.

Stock NC6's come with 18 watts of PC lighting. Nanocustoms offers 2 upgrades, a 36W PC upgrade (2x 18W bulbs) and a 54W PC upgrade (3x 18W bulbs). I went with the 54W upgrade consisting of 1 actinic bulb and 2 50/50 bulbs. 27W of stock PC lighting for a 6 gallon tank sounds pretty good.

I am a total noob when it comes to pictures so I'm surprised they turned out decent. I used a simple Canon compact point & shoot and fiddled with some settings and used a cheap tripod. I think the trick is to be as steady as possible and to turn off all pumps so the corals aren't moving around as much. That and a lot of patience, reading and trial & error. I'm sure the experts at the photography section can advise you a lot better than I can.

AcroporaLokani
Thanks, the aussie delicate is growing some new stalks and has encrusted over the epoxy so it seems to be doing well. The digi is also growing but I'm not happy with the color so the plan is to decrease feedings (despite having no detectable nitrates) and work on adding some additional light.

Other than that, I am battling zoa eating nudis which I thought were eliminated once but have now come back again. They seem to pick on a patch of zoas for a few days causing them to close up then hop over to another patch. I have ordered some lugols and will do a dip in the next few days...

Oh sorry to hear about the zoaeaters, the lugo's should take care of them though. Did you just order the 3.18 lighting or is that what you have now?

Oh sorry to hear about the zoaeaters, the lugo's should take care of them though. Did you just order the 3.18 lighting or is that what you have now?

That's what I have now, they were installed in mid October. I highly recommend the upgrade if you have a NC6 ... although now I'm leaning towards a going with a MH upgraded NC12. :)

• 4 weeks later...

That tank looks great! You're keeping some nice corals in there, I hope they do well. I did a 2x18W PC retro in a 6 gallon AIO cube before (Alife), and it was tight with just two, so your hood must be completely stuffed with all 3!

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Tank is now 4 months old and it's tough finding room for more corals. Shrimp & goby pair are as active as ever, acans are eating like pigs and growing well. SPS is growing but as expected, colors are brown under PC lighting.

Latest specs:

54W PC lighting (2x 18W 50/50, 1x 18W Actinic)

Ranco dual stage temp controller (50W heater, 60mm fan for cooling)

Chaeto in chamber 1 lit by 5W of submersible LED lights

Hydor Flo on a MJ606

Cassette tape surface skimmer

Updated pics below

Superman Micromussa:

micro_1_08.jpg

Acan Lord #1

acan2_1_08.jpg

Acan Lord #2

acan_1_08.jpg

Ric & Shroom

shroom_1_08.jpg