SaltCritters.com

90 Gallon Build

pico1

I got my new tank last night and got it all put togeather and in place today. I going to focus on SPS in this tank :D

Tank

-90 gallon AGA with corner overflow box (48X18X24)

-AGA mission series stand and canopy in maple

Lighting

-2, 24" PFO parallel reflectors

-2, 250W reeflux 12K SE MH on a dual PFO ballast

-2, 110W URI VHO super actinics on PFO ballast

Flow

-2 tunze nanostream 6045's on oppsite ends facing center

-Centered sea swirl return on a Mag 9.5 with "Y" fitting, flare nozzles, and attached tunze nanostream 6045 (still testing)

Filtration

-29 gallon AGA sump

-Euro-reef skimmer

-CPR aquafuge (hanging on sump)

-Phosban reactor

PICS!

The tank

newtank001.jpg

Painting

newtank002.jpg

tunze/sea swirl mod (still in testing)

newtank007.jpg

sump

jordanspics007.jpg

FTS

jordanspics.jpg

more info on the sea swirl/nanostream mod can be found here

The Propagator

SMALL. Small fish = small defication = less nasties build up and left behind.

;)

Its also never a good idea to add gobies ( as much as they are liked)

They will constantly slide over your coral knocking crap down, and clouding up the water as they constantly dig up the sand bed.

As much as they are liked and and prety as they are they are a MAJoR pain in the arse wen it comes down to it.

Ofcourse stay away from more than one pygmy and be carefull which one you buy as some are known to be polyp eaters.

Stay away from cory wrasses and wrasses in general save for the 6 line or 8 line and a couple others ( I have seen them ALL eat polyps at one point in time, even the 6 line and 8 line but its more nipping versus eating. you should ALWAYS keep an eye on any kind of wrasse in a reef tank)

No groupers, Butterfly fish, Angels, Toad fish, Scorpion fish, Hawkfish, Anglers, most pork fish and hog fish (there are acceptions).

No puffers, High hats, morish idols, Harlequins, eels, rays, Look downs, Squid or Octopi.

WHEW !!

I think that about covers the dont's LOL! ;)

Very nice stand, i wish mine looked like that.

I've never seen my wrasses even look at a coral. I have a hawaiian flame, labouti, male and female carptenter and a yellow wrasse. The yellow does like to burry my lps that are on the sand when he goes to sleep but thats the extent of the damage they all do.

imo its a very bad idea to exclude wrasses from your tank as it doesn't get any more colourfull then a fairy wrasse or 2 or 3.

Thanks! I think wrasses are key for a healthy SPS tank.

Pro, I'm not so much "pico" anymore huh!

I got my reflectors in yesterday and realized that the VHOs were going to be too close to the water. Today I took the reflectors into the metal shop class and had them cut off the VHO part of the reflector. They did an AWESOME job! It's all nice clean cuts, the reflector wasn't bent or scratched, and the bottom isn't sharp at all. Now I just have to mount everything. Everything is now plumbed so the tank shound be filled this weekend. :D

I have a 1" Sea Swirl in my 56 with a much smaller pump and had to dial it back. I think the tunze on top of that is going to be too much. Think firehose.

Thanks guys! Monkeyrobb, this is an SPS tank, you can never have too much flow! :D

Here are some pics of the rock I got in the bay area. I still have some big pieces to add and lots of aquascaping to do. I just threw them in there for now. That HUGE piece in the right is a big plate piece of rock. I just have it leaning on the wall for now. It will look sweet when I aquascape it correctly.

rock001.jpg

rock007.jpg

Thanks Travis! Just finished my aquascaping! I'm not super happy with it but it's sturdy and I think I'll grow into it. My boss at yourreef.com hooked me up with some SWEET cherry picked pieces of rock! There are nice porus flat pieces, an awesome man made aragacrete cave, and a big piece of fiji pukani fused porites rock. Here are the pics! :D

plumbing005.jpg

plumbing009.jpg

plumbing011.jpg

plumbing014.jpg

plumbing015.jpg

plumbing023.jpg

I'm glad to hear that from you Mike! You have my favorite 72 BF and your tank made me come real close to buying one. I couldn't resist the width of the 90.

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I am also a big fan of hiding powerheads; I really like the placement of your currents. You definitely made an entrance with this beauty...

Did you see my thread Pico? I evolved into the 90 gallon bowfront; I couldn't resist the height of the new tank...

MG

Thanks Alex!

Thanks Mike! I saw that, lookin good! I can't wait to see how you aqua-scape that bad boy!

crazinezz978, thanks! My favorite part of this hoppy is aquascaping and I was able to cherry pick some nice rock for this tank. Can't wait til it's all purple :)

Archived