SaltCritters.com

Socal Reefer'sAquapod 12g

SoCal Reefer

So I got some money this Christmas specifically for a new tank. The 10g is getting slightly boring so I am in the process of selling that right now. I got an AP because it is so compact and I dont have much spare space.

Tank $ 119.00

LR 20# @ $2.99/LB= $60.00

LS $25

+tax

Total $228.83

I did the standard rubble rock in chamber #2 and taking out the ceramic rings ect.

As for future plans maybe a retro fit but well see. I will probably replace the return pump with a mini-jet 606. Does that sound good? Or should i get a mini jet 606 in addition to the stock pump, drill the back wall for another return pump.

Stocking Plans

Coral

Xenia

Shrooms Shrooms Shrooms!!!

Zoo's

Frogspawn

Gorgonian

Plate coral

Fish

Shrimp gobie of some kind + Pistol Shrimp

2 neon gobie

or Bicolor blennie

or Sixline

or Neon Dottyback

So i just aquascaped last night and the waters finally cleared!

SCR

2rfc3dl.jpg

3zi7p0y.jpg

Actinics 4hbzvh0.jpg

post-10653-1167365959_thumb.jpg

Thanks Quy. I put in 32w bulbs just for today but after looking at other threads I am worried that the ballasts cant hang with the 32w so I put the stock bulbs back in.

SCR

SoCal Reefer

So yesterday I went to the LFS and got a loc line spray bar with about a dozen little nozzles and I was going to get a mj 606 to upgrade the return but I want to know if this will be enough or not enough flow.

SCR

So yesterday I went to the LFS and got a loc line spray bar with about a dozen little nozzles and I was going to get a mj 606 to upgrade the return but I want to know if this will be enough or not enough flow.

SCR

How much was the spray bar? I want to get one for my NC24.

SoCal Reefer

Lets see it was $22.98. I don't think the one I got will be larg enough for a 24g but I did see a larger one that had 20 nozzles but the nozzles were also larger. How big a return pump do you think I should get?

Holy crap that's a lot of L/S, how much do you have in there?? My jawfish is jealous. :( haha Tank looks great though!! I'm abandoning my AP12 that I've had since June, this saturday for a Finnex 30g. I'll miss my little AP12...

SoCal Reefer

I got 20lbs i get the job done lol I was actually thing a bout getting a pearly jawfish. Would a jawfish be aggressive towards a shrimp gobie pair?

Would anyone like to recomend a return pump?

SCR

Lets see it was $22.98. I don't think the one I got will be larg enough for a 24g but I did see a larger one that had 20 nozzles but the nozzles were also larger. How big a return pump do you think I should get?

I'd stick an MJ900 in there. Maybe even a 1200, depending on how many nozzles you have.

I'd stick an MJ900 in there. Maybe even a 1200, depending on how many nozzles you have.

I'd just go MJ900, the 1200 will run hotter, but the flow of the 1200 would be better however. I have the MJ900 in mine and I wish I had even more flow. :(

20lbs?? That's how much I have in my AP12g, but my sand isn't that deep, what gives?? lol! The jawfish shouldn't be aggressive to shrimp. They are related to gobies and gobies and shrimps pair up like peas and carrots! B) I wanted a pearly at first, but couldn't find one locally so I settled on a Dusky instead. I love my dusky though, it's personable and a bastard at time too, lol! bastard because it'll poke it's head from it's burrow to attract you over, then when you come to look closer, it dives back in and hides. What a tease! lol

SoCal Reefer

I've been thinking constantly for days on what combo of fish to get.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a Pearly Jawfish or Orange Spot + pistol. And then for a free swimming fish either a six line or a Rainsford gobie (sp?). But I still have a few weeks to think it over.

SCR

Hey all, Last night I went and got a cleanup crew. 1 Emrald crab, 5 scarlet hermits, 5 blue legs, 5 astreas and 10 narrcissus. My temps are around 80 even with the heater off! The lights get quite hot so not sure how to better control the temp. I did the mod that Quy did, taking out the pastic vents for more air flow. More to come

SCR

id go with the sixline. that fish is awesome. they are extremely curious. likes to touch everything with it's mouth. each time my snails digs into the sand it likes to help by giving the snail a push using it's mouth :D

haha yeah I was watching one at my LFS and just the way they move around the tank is awsome they add alot of movement and color too

SCR

• 2 weeks later...

K so quick update!

Today I went to LFS all my water levels are PERFECT so I decide to take the plunge once more and buy a fish. So I have quite a delemma, pearly jawfish or orange spotted gobie? Well the owner came over and gave me quite a deal on an orangespot and a pistol pair so I buy my new tank mates. I drip acclimated them and have not seen the pistol since i released him (or her). The gobie is just chillin in the wide open so will they ever pair up?! haha im so impacient.

SCR

The Propagator

They will. It will take a few weeks though.

The goby needs to settle in, and the shrimp feals like a dog with no bone.

Once the goby settles in and builds himself a little cave the shrimp will move in.

BTW I wana see pics of those frags I sent you . :)

I am curious tyo see how they look in your tank.

BTW I wana see pics of those frags I sent you . smile.gif

I am curious tyo see how they look in your tank.

? Me I have no frags from anyone....

But I will upload some pics of the Gobie and pistol. They paired up:) and moved in right in from!!! Im knda really excited. I also got a MJ900 for a new return.

49jkdj4.jpg

ehh this is a poor pic but its the best i can do now. You can kinda see the hole under the LR right in the center of the pic and the gobies head is sticking out .

SCR

Alright What everyone has been waiting for PICS!!!!

44i1e7o.jpg

new orange spot gobie

2qis2ae.jpg

"Hey you youre getting to close beat it!"

2ewo1tv.jpg

BFF!!! lol

44imdxz.jpg

New pic with loc line spray bar and chaeto in upper right hand corner

enjoy all

SCR

Quick update

Got a cleaner shrimp last Friday.

Today I went and got a sixline, hairy shroom, frogspawn and zoos

here are some pics

2rbza5s.jpg

2qkuf0n.jpg

34pf342.jpg

4d7bty1.jpg

SCR

So my sixline died :(. And the LFS peoples gave me three zoo frags as a replacement.

2nlwhvp.jpg

3zu2521.jpg

3492c69.jpg

I got a better shot of the 'old' colony

339k02x.jpg

Thats it for now

SCR

Ive noticed some small white spots on the gobies tail and fins....attack of the ICH. So Senor Gobie is in a small 1 gal QT tank and is being treated for ich so hopefully he will survive.

SCR

haha i told you, you need a mantis in there lol, ive also come to the conclusion that unless you are using a copper treatment for ich, nothing works

Archived