Innovative Marine Aquariums

Easy MJ Mod

Travis

I replaced my CLS, ran with a Mag9.5, with two Maxi Jet 1200s because the the mag was heating up the tank. the tank now runs 3-5 degrees cooler.

I don't remember where I saw this MJ Mod, but I desided to do this one instead of the others because it didn't require me to buy a different impelor or impelor housing.

Basicaly all I did was chopped off the output nozzle, this created a more wide spread flow, not as directional, and drilled holes on the bottom to increase the amount of intake thus increasing the output.

Ok pics of the modded impellor housing.

MJ-Mod-2.jpg

MJ-Mod-1.jpg

And here are two FTS, one showing the pumps, and the other showing what is happening to the water surface. I had to lower the overflowbox because the pumps where shooting water OUT of the tank!!! LOL!!!

Angle-FTS.jpg

Click To View Full Sized Image

FTS.jpg

Click To View Full Sized Image

I am definantly getting MUCH more flow than I was with the CLS. It even kicked all of the sand in the front to the sides, the starboard is showing lol.

Now the only drawback to this mod is that everytime the pump is turned of, then turned back on, the flow goes to a different place. But that also could be viewed as a good thing because then it would make for a TRUE random wavemaker.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, definantly a noticable difference in flow. I ran a MJ 1200 and 900 in a 10g once, the flow was good was just right. Running two moded 1200s in my 20g is almost to much flow lol. Not sure exactly how much more GPH is getting put out, but I know it's more than it used to be.

Revised orignial post, see the bottom of it.

Im running an MJ 400 and 600 in my 25gal (I didnt want to over do it and ended up underdoing it). This should work on both just as well right?

Socalsuperhero

Ok, first off, brilliantly simple mod! I got home tonight and tried it myself. I've been wanting to increase the flow in my 30 gallon but didn't want to upgrade my closed loop to a bigger pump. I modified my maxijet 600 a bit differently than you did, and all I can say is WOW. This silly thing throws sand all over the place if even pointed any where near the bottom of the tank. I honestly considered downgrading it to a 400. I am actually really stoked about this because it's made me reconsider how I'm going to setup my 75 gallon. I was thinking about drilling it for a closed loop, but now I'm thinking that some modded maxi-jets will get it done under budget.

maxi_mod.jpg

Trav, Do you think the holes would increase the output without chopping the nozzle? For in-line applications.

Are you going to be using it as a sump return or somthing? It may increase the flow, but I could be totally wrong because I have never used it in that way.

There are two websites, to my knowledge, that sell kits to mod the Maxi-jet into a Seio/Tunze style pump.

http://www.oceansflo.com/

http://www.mjmods.com/

I have heard good things and bad. The mod I have done sure is cheaper (no extra cost), but I don't think it puts out as much GPH as the Seio/Tunze style mods can.

non-photosynt
I ran a MJ 1200 and 900 in a 10g once, the flow was good was just right.

I had run two MJ1200 in 90g and it was way too much. :D

Had to replace by Seio.

BTW, will this mod soften flow?

Depends how far back you cut the nozzle. I would think that Socalsuperhero's would be softer flow than mine because it has a much wider output nozle(well, it;s more of a gap on his) than mine.

stoney waters
Are you going to be using it as a sump return or somthing? It may increase the flow, but I could be totally wrong because I have never used it in that way.

Yes, a sump return of sorts. Actually a return for an All In One. I don't see how increasing the intake could hurt. I think I'll give it a try.

Yes, a sump return of sorts. Actually a return for an All In One. I don't see how increasing the intake could hurt. I think I'll give it a try.

I will be using it for the same purpose as stoney. Im using it for a return in my 8Gal Bio Cube.

Socalsuperhero
Depends how far back you cut the nozzle. I would think that Socalsuperhero's would be softer flow than mine because it has a much wider output nozle(well, it;s more of a gap on his) than mine.

I don't know about the flow necessarily being softer, but the output is much wider. Think of the fan setting on your garden hose sprayer. I'd say the output is somewhere around 60 degrees wide.

I also modded a 400 last night and threw it in the tank. Way too much now, woke up this morning and all the sand from m the front of my tank has been pushed aside. Might try knocking the 600 down to a 400.

Quite ingenius Travis. I have 2 questions. One, did you cut a portion of the intake as well? It looks as if you did, but I'm not positive. Also, would you say you increased flow by twice as much? At least?

Tang

Socalsuperhero
Quite ingenius Travis. I have 2 questions. One, did you cut a portion of the intake as well? It looks as if you did, but I'm not positive. Also, would you say you increased flow by twice as much? At least?

Tang

I'm not Travis but I'll respond with my experience. I would say the flow on my 600 is very easily twice as much, probably closer to three times.

Yes, I cut the intake piece down a bit. I can't say for sure how much flow it produces because I have no way of testing it. All I know is that it is more flow than it was before.

Socalsuperhero
Very interesting guys. Do you think this would still work with a hydor flo? Or is there not enough pressure after the mod?

You pick up increased flow from two factors though. First being enlarging the intake area to let more water in. Second is enlarging the output. I would imagine that increasing the output size and leaving the stock opening wouldn't really do a whole lot and might actually be counter productive. As for just enlarging the intake I can't say since I didn't take the time to test it before cutting open the outlet. If anything enlarging the intake an running a hydorflo should increase the pressure, but again, I'm just guessing.

Archived