Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Elmer's 38g Reef

elmer240

I posted about this before but I would like to update with some promised updates. The beginning can be found here

www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86522

Over the weekend I finished my Drywall, most of my painting (still have quite a few touch up spots) and the molding around the aquarium. Here are some pics (sorry the Halides had already gone off when pictures were taken, what you see is 192w of actnics

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

Here are some promised pics for the behind the scenes. In these Pics you can also see how much room I have in the "fish room"

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Also over the weekend I purchased my first clam ($20) and my first Acro frag ($10) The clam is a maxima clam around 1.5 in. ( I bowl feed in green water) Pics

IMG_1420.jpg

Under Halides (10K)

IMG_1413.jpg

Here is the pictures of my first Acro. It is teal about 2in. tall with 4 branches. Does everyone think the flow is enough with one seio 820 one MJ1200 and the return at 400gph.

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Other Misc. livestock and fts

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Thanks for looking

Elmer

Also over the weekend I lost my clown to what I believe to be a swim bladder infection. It was my first fish loss since the set up back in August. :(

Please let me know what you think of everything so far. Also any ideas on what to replace the clown with would be appreciated. I really want a smaller anthias but i know these should not be kept alone. I also like the pearly jawfish. Any other ideas?

aha. I found a FTS with Halides on but before Acro and Maxima

IMG_1409.jpg

I have almost the same flow set-up as you and am wondering the same thing, if its enough flow for sps. See my sig for my flow details and tank size.

I guess I could always replace the mj1200 with another Seio820, and point them at each other. I just hate how bulky they are. overall I am moving around 1550gph so I'll try this for a while and see how the first acro does, unless someone objects. I'll keep you posted on it's health pico.

definately enough flow for that mille. However with that being said, don't just listen to everyone who says "you need ___ gph to keep sps". From my experience you should go with what works for you. Obviously sps need more flow than most corals but you should be good with what you got.

Sorry but I don't know anything about flow for sps...however as someone who someday may be looking to set up a similar tank, can you let us know if heat is an issue at all in that little room? I see the fan you have in the wall...but I'm just wondering how it works in a practical sense. Any trouble? Also, are you concerned at all about humidity in the room getting so high that it causes trouble with the drywall or anything like that (sorry to be vague).

Thanks,

C

All great questions. So far on a hot day (only 80) the temp reaches 81 and drops to 79 at night. I think the most important thing is consistency so I am not concerned about the 81 too much. What you do not see in the pics is that there is another fan in the hood venting through the other side. So this helps also. I have considered a chiller or perhaps running an AC duct into the room (it would not be hard the source is only 7ft away under the house). For the humidity I am a little concerned, however, when ever possible (while at work, or out) I leave the door to the room open to vent the humidity so not so much a big deal.

Now I need some opinions on a replacement fish.

Like I said before Anthias? Pearly Jawfish?

Elmer

My LFS has some anthias just like the ones pictured at the top of the Nano-reef page that says "dive-in." Orange with bright purple eyes. What do you guys think?

• 9 months later...

Well it has not quite been a year but I figured I'd post pictures of the tank as it looks now. Since the last pictures much has changed. I did switch to 14k Hamilton so the color looks a little different

Blue Crocea/ Orange Rics

IMG_2270.jpg

Orange Polyp Digita

IMG_2271.jpg

Green Pocilipora

IMG_2283.jpg

Orage Digita

IMG_2274.jpg

Purple Plating Monti

IMG_2286.jpg

Green Slimer

IMG_2287.jpg

Lavander/Orange Acan

IMG_2289.jpg

Pink Birdsnest

IMG_2294.jpg

Orange Monti

IMG_2292.jpg

Blue/Green Pocilipora

IMG_2295.jpg

Candy

IMG_2299.jpg

Green/Blue Tip Acro

IMG_2300.jpg

I'll post a FTS later. There are some corals not listed including an Oregon Blue Tort, Tri-color Acro, Pink Zoos, and the Maxima from earlier pics.

No humidity problems I have two exit fans so that helps. I have thought about placing a fan in the ceiling of the fish room like in a bathroom. The important thing for me was to paint the inside of the dry wall with a white oil base to keep the moisture from really "Soaking in". When I post some FTS I'll post a few behind the scenes. I have since the last pics added a closed loop running an Iwaki 55rlt through and om Squirt. THis has taken a lot of space and the Iwaki adds some heat to the room but it is manageble with fans. But NO MORE SEIOS woohoo

Wow this is really kick ass. the tank really look much bigger then it is I didnt read the title and i thought it was atleast a 58g. good job i really like.

Thanks, with the amount of wall space and space behind the tank this is the only size I could have. I guess I could have gone 40 breeder but it would have been too shallow for that picture look. I also could have gone 45 but I would have then moved to 400w halides and do not think I could have managed the heat. The 38 is perfect for the house.

FTS

IMG_2338.jpg

FTS Left

IMG_2347.jpg

FTS Right

IMG_2345.jpg

Behind the Scenes

IMG_2339.jpg

BTS2

IMG_2340.jpg

BTS3

IMG_2341.jpg

More Inhabitants

Clam (crocea)

IMG_2323.jpg

Green Frogspawn

IMG_2326.jpg

Unkown cool Zoos

IMG_2317.jpg

Oregon Blue Tort (fuzzy picture, much bluer in person)

IMG_2318.jpg

Lime Green Acro

IMG_2321.jpg

In the FTS you can really see how much the Milipora has grown in the past eight months. I can't wait to see everything else grow out.

Oh yeah I forgot about the fish. Only two, McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, and a Royal Gramma.

IMG_2344.jpg

Yeah I think I figured out they are called pink panther zoos. Or at least thats what zoaid.com says. Dark skirt with dark pink centers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived