SaltCritters.com

Treating Brooklynella with Seachem Paraguard (long)

Skye008

The following post is based only on my personal experiences as a hobbyist. Please take it for what it's worth.

Four weeks ago, I purchased a mated pair of percula clowns for my 16-gallon nano reef. Unfortunately, they were infected with brooklynella, as diagnosed by my LFS. The usual symptoms showed up within the second week: slimy coating on the body, visible bumps in the tail and gill regions, missing patches of scales, etc. They were still eating pretty well, were not exhibiting any flashing/scratching behavior, and were breathing relatively normal. Potential treatment was complicated by the fact that I do not have a quarantine tank (lesson learned).

At the recommendation of my LFS, I decided to treat the percs with Seachem Paraguard baths. Two main reasons led to the decision to use Paraguard: (1) the fish are very friendly and can be caught quite easily, and (2) I did not and still do not feel comfortable treating the tank with so-called “reef safe” parasite meds.

The Paraguard baths were performed in a 2.5 gallon glass tank with an airstone and heater. The fish were overfed (4-5 times per day) throughout the treatment course, which took one week and went as follows:

Day 1: 6-minute freshwater bath in one-gallon of distilled water (pH and temperature matched to that of the main tank and aerated with airstone/pump) with 3 ml of Paraguard. Fish were returned to tank immediately after bath.

Day 2: 60-minute saltwater bath in 1-gallon of extracted tank water with 3 ml of Paraguard (water aerated with airstone/pump for duration of bath). Fish were returned to tank immediately after bath.

Day 3: Do nothing.

Day 4: 60-minute saltwater bath in 1-gallon of extracted tank water with 3 ml of Paraguard (water aerated with airstone/pump for duration of bath). Fish were returned to tank immediately after bath.

Day 5: 60-minute saltwater bath in 1-gallon of extracted tank water with 3 ml of Paraguard (water aerated with airstone/pump for duration of bath). Fish were returned to tank immediately after bath.

Day 6: Do nothing.

Day 7: 60-minute saltwater bath in 1-gallon of extracted tank water with 3 ml of Paraguard (water aerated with airstone/pump for duration of bath). Fish were returned to tank immediately after bath.

Both fish have been free and clear of symptoms for over a week. They are eating very well and have finally taken to my LTA.

A quick follow-up...

It's been over 3 weeks since the brook treatment ended and the percs are still symptom-free and doing great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

BKtomodachi

I've never noticed actual lumps with brooklynella, just slime and EXTREME pale color... you're sure it isnt a bacterial or fungal fin/slime coat infection?

The owner of my LFS who has much experience in diagnosing and treating marine fish diseases made the definitive diagnosis. He did not have any personal stake in my case, since I didn't buy the fish from him.

Additionally, I have had several clowns die from brooklynellosis in the past and can identify the symptoms pretty well. The bumps I refer to are more like skin lessions covered in slime.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought some paraguard.

The tough part is getting the freaking clown out. I spent an hour trying to get him out of the rocks, but I'm not willing to completely take everything out.

I've given up and just hope he'll make it on his own.

Archived