Coral Vue Hydros

IM10/KessilA80 Anemone/Frogspawn Tank

Najay343

Hey everyone,

Have another addition to my house full of tanks. This one the girlfriend gave me permission to put in the bedroom. Build specs as follows:

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10

Pump: 211gph IM Stock pump out of my IM25

Flow: IM Spinstream powered 50% by my main pump. I kept the wye on it out of my IM25 so it is working as my tank flow as well as powering my Macro Reactor.

Filtration: Desktop Filtersock w/ Chemipure Blue. Phosban 150 reactor DIY LED strip Lighting Macro Algae reactor.

Lighting: Kessil A80 with Spec Control

I added a Video :)

Najay's IM 10

IM10_zps5fpqia54.jpg?t=1479686018

IM101_zpswf6cmibh.jpg

IM10A80_zpsqmytbfrh.jpg

IM10MacroReactor_zpsvnhgnscw.jpg

I intended for this to be a low flow tank. My IM25 has a ton of flow so I wanted to try something more calming. My original plan was to have a bare bottom with LR and a Zoa garden. My plan changed when I stumbled upon a crazy good deal on craigslist. a 14Gal. Biocube with Cree LED lighting, and stocked with frogspawn, Hammer, toadstool and a huge RBTA and a mated pair of clowns. All for the price of a single anemone. The Tank was about three years old and was running on stock flow/filtration with no protein skimmer. I jumped on this purchase and basically did a tank transfer. All the sand, LR, livestock and tank water from the BC 14 was move into this IM10 tank. Just before moving, the anemone split so I now have two medium size RBTAs that are both hosted by the mated pair of clown who happened to lay eggs in the IM10 on their first night in it.

Now, trying to play my luck on raising baby clown fry. Any advice is appreciated.

Looking for some help, My toadstool coral has not let its polyps out in over a week as of today, it is open, color seems good, it kind of has a glossy shine to it, what could be going on?

Toadstool%202_zps2b6ixy7q.jpgToadstool%201_zpsaxrrqsix.jpg

Can you please tell me or link the LED strip you are using? How long have you had it working and does it do well?

I am using the Kassil A80. It was open for about 3 days since i got it before it went the last week being closed up.

I am using the Kassil A80. It was open for about 3 days since i got it before it went the last week being closed up.

Sorry, I meant for the algae reactor!

Vwcrackerjack

Mine has been doing that for almost a year. Some days polyps are out and seems totally happy. Others it's all closed up and almost shiny. I always think it's my water quality or something bothering it. It does the same thing when I mess with it. But out of nowhere it just goes back to normal. I'd like to know also what it means.

How are you liking the A80? I haven't been able to find many reviews on it yet.

I love it, exactly what I was looking for. The only negative thing I put in my review is I think it is limited on its dimming ability. I am using a spec controller and have 5 different settings throughout the day. The asolute lowest I am able to set the light to is 5% which seems way too bright to me. I got it for a new IM10 in my bedroom. I like the idea of a very dim moon light at night but this light is way to bright to leave on at night at lowest setting. The 5% is enough to keep my corals open as long as it is on.

• 3 weeks later...

1 month update:

Lots of changes, I was in the market for new lighting on my IM25. I ended up going with the AI Prime. Love the light however it was not providing full coverage to my tank. Came across a used Nanobox Duo and pulled the trigger. I love it and it is up and running on the 25. I did however move the AI Prime to this IM10 tank as I like it a lot more than the Kassil A80 and the scheduling is 10x more controllable than what you get with the Kessil spec controller and the sunrise is a lot less intense considering the tank is kept in the bedroom.

Livestock, I ended up moving the frogspawns and toadstools down to my IM25. This tank currently has two oversized anemones I feed multiple times per week and two very happy clowns that have spawned going on their 3rd time today. I have had 3 success with the fry however.

No water changes have been done. My macro reactors are working wonderfully.

I like this tank with your way of filtering and also the macro algae reactors. Could you explain how the algae reactor and filtration system work together in terms of flow and direction . Thanks. I have a 12 gal mr aqua long with a Aqua clear 70, but I am thinking of getting a nuvo.

Thanks.

I like this tank with your way of filtering and also the macro algae reactors. Could you explain how the algae reactor and filtration system work together in terms of flow and direction . Thanks. I have a 12 gal mr aqua long with a Aqua clear 70, but I am thinking of getting a nuvo.

Thanks.

I love my Nuvo 10 and 25. On my IM10 there are 3 chambers in the back. Going left to right, I use the 200 micron desktop filter sock, they come stock on all IM tanks. I change it out once a week. Currently I just stopped running Chemipure blue packs in the sock. In the same first chanber under the sock I have a small sponge for biological filtration since I don't have the correct LR to tank volume ratio.

The 2nd middle chamber is essentially useless on this tank if you use any sort of mount for your lighting as both the Kessil and AI prime mount take up too much space to put a skimmer in there. The middle chamber does accomidate for the size of a IM desktop skimmer or reactor. I have the AI Prime on this tank now, so all I have in the middle chamber is LR rubble.

The return chamber, far right, holds my return pump which I swapped out the stock pump with my IM25 stock pump. It is a 211 GPH pump and I kept the original wye tubing on it. The pump pumps half into the display tank through a spin stream and the other half pumps into my currently hanging on the back phosban 150 Macro reactor. This thing grows macro fast. Forcing it through the reactor as well as wrapping the reactor in LED strip ensures the reactor is filtering the entir tank 11 times per hour. The return from the phosban reactor goes back to the first chamber slid in behind the filter sock. I find the fitter socks on these tanks slowly get pushed back from the overflow over time so having the return tubing from my phosban 150 behind the sock keeps it nice and snug in place.

Very similar set up on my IM25 except in addition to everything here I am also running a IM desktop reactor with carbon and an IM skimmer in both the IM25 secondary chambers.

I have battled hair algae and red algae non stop my first two years in this hobby, it was very discouraging. In my experience, the phosban 150 was the best reactor for GFO I had dealt with, ultimately when I swapped the GFO with macro, I noticed a huge changed in corals and water quality. Origionally i was running GFO with my macro in a chamber with a fuge light on the back of glass and my macro did not ever noticabally grow, now in my macro reactors, I have to empty 2/3 of the macro from my reactor weekly and just throw it away which sucks.... May have to start selling.

Nice set up! Are you planning a breeder build for the clowns?

BTW it awesome to see a fellow Amazonian here.

My personnel/work life is just a little too busy for clown breeding right now. I'm hoping I can put more focus on them in a few months.

• 1 month later...

Archived