Coral Vue Hydros

Jim's 18" cube tank

fullmonti

Just set up an 18" cube tank.

IMG_2439_zpsesruxcde.jpg

Used a overhead kitchen cabinet from Lowes to make the stand. Took the door & door frame off & built a deeper new box for the stand.

IMG_2407_zpsvupcnhiy.jpg

IMG_2411_zpshtqp29pr.jpg

I built the sump & it is 16x20x15" tall, nearly as big as the tank but I like a big refugium.

IMG_2442_zpsw0ufhfkw.jpg

IMG_2443_zpsh3c44ltw.jpg

Sump in action. Eshopps PSK 100 skimmer, Finnex LED Fug light, small Wavelike DC return pump.

IMG_2431_zpskzztaimy.jpg

IMG_2437_zps8ahxhpa5.jpg

IMG_2436_zpsl0arhmny.jpg

IMG_2449_zpsmrtigfcv.jpg

Aquascaping, doesn't look as nice in photos as in person.

That's about it for now, more when it cycles. Still working out where & which powerhead will end up, may go with a two head wave maker, hard to know ATT. Will be moving live stock from a 12" cube I have & will add from there. Thinking I will glue corals of some kind to the overflow pipe & my hope is to have an anemone on the top of the middle rock work. We all know how plans go though. Anyway feel free if you have any questions, more later.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Well nearly two years later and I guess it's well over due for an update.

I always had in mind I wanted an anemone & clowns for this tank. Not just any anemone but a Ritteri/Magnifica but it had to be a small one.

dem%20%209-17_zpsoeuemicz.jpg

This is a year ago and nem was still not happy but had stoped deflating. Took a couple more months to color up again.

nem%209-18_zpsnd8t3ktp.jpg

This is today

Here is a link to a video

https://youtu.be/aPN9CPmr_yA

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Probably last up date, we are preparing for a move and I will be taking this tank down and looking for a local good home for the nem and clowns. He has been keeping his tentacles shorter for the last year or more, gotten bigger and doing well. Hope to have a bigger new tank with another Ritteri when ever we get in our new house.

clowns%20FB%202_zpsgdtivv8b.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Glad to hear this reef is still going @fullmonti!

Did you end up keeping the refugium going in the sump all these years, or did you stop using it at some point?

Best of luck with your move! Hopefully you can find a nice home for those happy clowns 🙂 

Oddly the rocks in the sump with reverse lighting schedule have always been covered in red cyano but none have ever shown up in the display. I figured there was still photosynthesis going on and nutrients have never been a problem so just left it that way. Love my clowns and anemone, hope I can find a good home for them.

• Wow 1