Coral Vue Hydros

6g Fluval Edge Rimless Conversion

Bendavis

A few years ago we decided to get back in the reef game and build a little nano using a Fluval edge. It worked out well and looked great for about a year. then we moved. A little later the tank crashed and we lost everything except for the hermits, somehow they survived. For the last 2 years the tank has sat in our dining room as an eye sore. We've continued topping it off and doing some water changes but all feedings and regular maintenance stopped. I wanted to start up a fish tank at the office and we had the bright idea to move the edge instead of starting from scratch. My biggest gripe about the edge was its main attraction - the damn glass roof - so I figured I'd try converting it into a rimless tank. only took about 5 minutes and I love the result! anyways - heres the set-up so far.

Tank - Fluval Edge 6 gallon - converted to rimless

Filtration - Stock Fluval HOB filter, 8 lbs Live rock, 5 lbs Live Black Hawaiian sand

Lighting - A.I. Prime HD

Current Stock:

4 tiny blue hermits (somehow survived years of not being fed or cared for and the trip to work in a bucket of rocks)

Imgur Gallery of the tanks first few days - http://imgur.com/a/osNnG

Most recent FTS 03/23/2017

ahAYlpsl.jpg

• Like 1

I've noticed a couple other things managed to hold on the last couple years of being dormant and untouched. both kinda resemble mushrooms but I have no clue what they actually are. they are minuscule, hardly the size of a pea

yYzeDvS.jpg

DvO58H0.jpg

Sea_Of_Treachery

Nice setup! Reminds me of how i always end up leaving some of my tanks :mellow: . I will not neglect my current ones. Is that the Caribsea Hawaiian Black ? Never did the black sand before. I'm definitely doing that in my new 29!

Nice setup! Reminds me of how i always end up leaving some of my tanks :mellow: . I will not neglect my current ones. Is that the Caribsea Hawaiian Black ? Never did the black sand before. I'm definitely doing that in my new 29!

Yes, its the CabibSea Hawaiian black, It always seems to add a crispness to the tanks I've used it in. the only downside is I've only ever found it stocked in 20lb bags so a lot goes to waste.

Picked up some new frags this week. The clerk at the LFS let me sift through their sand and pick out a bunch of polyps that had fallen off frags to make my own frag for 10 bucks. this is the result:

MItNBNJm.jpg

If anyone knows the ID on any of those feel free to tell me. pretty happy about it.

also picked up this rather large colony with a few different color morphs:

NT5ae3z.jpg

also updated the FTS in the first post.

Lots of changes!

Added a sump, lots of new zoas, a black misbar, a GBTA, no more frag plugs in the tank... I think Im finished adding to it, now just watch it grow and mature!

ahAYlpsl.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hey, so I see this thread is super old, but it's neat enough that I don't think anyone will much mind having their attention pointed at it. 

You've just sold me on a rimless conversion Fluval. Love the tank.

How did you add the sump?