Pod Your Reef

RODI units

drgibby

So im trying to find the right RODI unit for me. I only have a 10 gallon tank and a 4 gallon tank and currently use 2 gallons a week for Water changes. I do plan someday getting a 60-90 gallon tank so i want the RODI unit to be able to handle everything and not need upgrading.

I have been looking at spectrapure and BRS but i hear mixed reviews. Im looking for something with a built in TDS meter and not looking for something tooo expensive.

Im pretty new in this area so what things should i be looking at besides how long filters last and just overall customer satisfaction.

vegasgundog

I have the BRS upgraded to dual membrane and have had no problems with it. A lfs carries the BRS stuff. It does what it's supposed to do.

squamptonbc

Spectra Pure seems to be mentioned a lot here, although if I can get 0 TDS with another brand which I do, I don't see a point in paying more for their products.

Find a budget then find the brands that fit your budget, some like the fancy units with all the bells and whistles, but for me, I just use a basic one and just added a DI cartridge to it that I already had.

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Products/WaterPurificationSystems/ReverseOsmosisSystems/Puratek100/tabid/200/language/en-US/Default.aspx

AZDesertRat

Spectrapure hands down.

They are the only vendor to specially treat all their RO membranes, proven to improve their performance and to custom blend all their own DI resins specifically for reef use. They use only low micron, absolute or near absolute sediment and carbon block filters and capillary tube flow restrictors so you the end user can adjust the waste ratio to fit your exact water conditions. Can't beat their $112 system and I have never heard or seen a mixed review on them.

I would pass on the inline TDS meter for several reasons including they are not ATC temperature compensated, cannot be calibrated and cannot be used portable so you are stuck with fixed locations when you really need to test other places too like your tap water and your ATO.

A good $25-$30 handheld will put an inline to shame.

I'm leaning toward spectrapure..not sure which one yet. How long do filters last or do you find yourself replacing them?

AZDesertRat

You should replace the sediment and carbon block filter every 6 months on any RO or RO/DI system, their sole purpose is to protect the expensive RO membrane which should last years. The DI gets replaced when your final TDS reading us no longer 0.

The advantage of the Spectrapure is the membrane and DI both do a better job than most anything on the market so the cost of operation is much lower.

thanks for the help AZDesertRat I think i have a good idea of what im going to get then! I feel much more confident in this now

You should replace the sediment and carbon block filter every 6 months on any RO or RO/DI system, their sole purpose is to protect the expensive RO membrane which should last years. The DI gets replaced when your final TDS reading us no longer 0.
The advantage of the Spectrapure is the membrane and DI both do a better job than most anything on the market so the cost of operation is much lower.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived