inTank Media Baskets

IM Nuvo Fusion 30L Build

whitsmitch

FTS 07-30-2016

28655943075_67c1fff1eb_b.jpg

I am deciding to finally post a thread for my IM Nuvo Fusion 30L. After a couple of failed attempts to have one delivered in excellent condition I have set up this wonderful tank (thanks to Randy @ BRS for excellent customer service).

I have lurked around most of the forums for over the past year as I previously had a 65 gallon fowlr. Eventually, I would like to move into the reef tank category. Most of the “stuff” I have on the IM Nuvo Fusion 30L comes from my 65 gallon fowlr setup.

Currently setup:

Tank: IM Nuvo Fusion 30L

Stand: IM stand

Light: Orbit Marine LED

Heater: Cobalt Neo-therm (100W)

ATO: Tunze Nano 3152

Powerhead: Jebao RW-4

20+ lbs of Liverock from previous setup

Sand (washed multiple times) from previous setup

1 Custom Caddy + 1 Filter Sock

Livestock:

2 clowns

1 Firefish

1 Purple Firefish

1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Several crabs and snails

Looks nice! I love the possibilities in the long shallow tanks, probably because I've only ever had cubes :D Good luck!

thanks for the comment, teenyreef! just noticed your 10g IM Fusion is the featured tank for August - Congrats!

Thanks - I'll be following along on your build!

A quick back story:

I had an aquarium as a child and absolutely loved it! It was a freshwater, no thrills other than the active fish. About 3 years ago I started a tank and quickly found out/discovered the wonders of a planted aquarium. Long story short, I bought a better light, added a few plants, and found a new hobby. My two children loved the tank and would constantly come into the office/study and watch it. After a friend came over and saw the tank, he had a larger tank stored away, and since he wasn't using it he gifted it to me. It had some fancy wiring for the lighting/canopy. I don't have pictures of that tank, but it continued my "happiness" in keeping/maintaining a planted aquarium.

When we moved to our current location I gifted that system to someone -> trying to pay it forward! After about 4 months or so I wanted to try the saltwater world. No exaggeration here - throughout the course of my freshwater experience I researched via forums and YouTube various saltwater aquariums and quickly desired to start a FOWLR tank with the hope of moving into the reef category - trying to know my tank personality would describe my journey over the last year.

This is the 65 gallon system that I started in December 2014:

28618315202_61a1d25a02_b.jpg

I wasn't too thrilled at the aquascape but thought it was a good first attempt. This tank saw the demise of a xenia and eagle eye zoa - not sure if it was entirely my light, because I also had an aquatop sla-36" light in addition to the orbit marine listed above. We had several other fish that didn't make it for one reason or another. The saddest day in the life of this tank was when we took our Kole Tang back to the LFS.

The rock in my IM Nuvo is from this tank. Here are a couple of pictures of the breakdown/transition from the 65 gallon to the Nuvo Fusion 30L:

28691297566_3db69bffed_b.jpg

28106294554_95f28fe99f_b.jpg

It took me a full week to move the tank, set up the Nuvo, and work the aquascape for the Nuvo. I'm not too terribly impressed with the aquascape, but I didn't want to buy new rock - so this was the better of several options.

I'll close this update with two pictures of the new tank (debuting one of the clownfish (we call this one Cora), the cleaner shrimp (officially named Skunky), and the firefish goby (affectionately called Fuego). The other clownfish is Marlin, and the other firefish (purple firefish) is called Morado.

28040889733_c198d11407_b.jpg

28550364382_c2b6572cd1_b.jpg

just realized that I should have posted this in the members' aquarium section... or does it really matter?

It doesn't matter much to me, personally. But if some members aren't looking at new posts in the all in one forum, they might miss your thread.

One thought if you don't like the scape because of your rocks - take a few out of the tank and break them into a couple smaller chunks with a hammer and chisel. Live rock breaks apart easily, Rinse the chunks off in old tank water and put them back in however you like. Having smaller chunks gives you a lot more options to arrange them the way you like. Eventually you can attach them to each other permanently with emarco mortar, or just some super glue and epoxy.

RIP Sebastian

A quick back story:

I had an aquarium as a child and absolutely loved it! It was a freshwater, no thrills other than the active fish. About 3 years ago I started a tank and quickly found out/discovered the wonders of a planted aquarium. Long story short, I bought a better light, added a few plants, and found a new hobby. My two children loved the tank and would constantly come into the office/study and watch it. After a friend came over and saw the tank, he had a larger tank stored away, and since he wasn't using it he gifted it to me. It had some fancy wiring for the lighting/canopy. I don't have pictures of that tank, but it continued my "happiness" in keeping/maintaining a planted aquarium.

When we moved to our current location I gifted that system to someone -> trying to pay it forward! After about 4 months or so I wanted to try the saltwater world. No exaggeration here - throughout the course of my freshwater experience I researched via forums and YouTube various saltwater aquariums and quickly desired to start a FOWLR tank with the hope of moving into the reef category - trying to know my tank personality would describe my journey over the last year.

This is the 65 gallon system that I started in December 2014:

28618315202_61a1d25a02_b.jpg

I wasn't too thrilled at the aquascape but thought it was a good first attempt. This tank saw the demise of a xenia and eagle eye zoa - not sure if it was entirely my light, because I also had an aquatop sla-36" light in addition to the orbit marine listed above. We had several other fish that didn't make it for one reason or another. The saddest day in the life of this tank was when we took our Kole Tang back to the LFS.

The rock in my IM Nuvo is from this tank. Here are a couple of pictures of the breakdown/transition from the 65 gallon to the Nuvo Fusion 30L:

28691297566_3db69bffed_b.jpg

28106294554_95f28fe99f_b.jpg

It took me a full week to move the tank, set up the Nuvo, and work the aquascape for the Nuvo. I'm not too terribly impressed with the aquascape, but I didn't want to buy new rock - so this was the better of several options.

I'll close this update with two pictures of the new tank (debuting one of the clownfish (we call this one Cora), the cleaner shrimp (officially named Skunky), and the firefish goby (affectionately called Fuego). The other clownfish is Marlin, and the other firefish (purple firefish) is called Morado.

28040889733_c198d11407_b.jpg

28550364382_c2b6572cd1_b.jpg

Welcome to the 30L Club! I, too, have one. I haven't updated the thread in a while tho...... Oh well. It'll get done soon. I love your clown! He's so cute.

Nick

Hey what are you running or media in your tank? Thanks!

right now i have chemi-pure blue and purigen on the left side (with filter floss at the top); on the right side i have the stock sock filter. i wasn't a believer about the chemi-pure, but the water has been so stinking clear i do believe i'll use it from now on.

are you using any other media?

I thought about running a protein skimmer; however, i'm going to do water changes for the time being and see how that works.

Welcome to the 30L Club! I, too, have one. I haven't updated the thread in a while tho...... Oh well. It'll get done soon. I love your clown! He's so cute.

Nick

thanks! looking forward to seeing your updates!

I recently rescued this tank so it had the 2 stock filter socks in it, right now just a cleaning crew and couple small coral frags in it. Just ordered a media basket and will run ChemiPure Elite and ChemiPure blue with filter flow and then have 2 socks to rotate with on the other side. I have used ChemiPure Elite for years in other tanks and have always loved it, the blue I'll see what that does but may go the same route as you with the Purigen. I'm on the fence myself about a skimmer and possibly a reactor, I'll get a build thread going as soon as I have some time to get it really set up and running properly.

Archived