ReefCleaners.org

Few Shots of My IM Fusion 20

hooligan_78

hooligan_78

Set up my stuff back in October on a small cube, then upgraded to a Fusion 20. I'm running stock pump off left side with a spin stream. I was using the Tunze 9001, but got a good deal on the older desktop IM skimmer and the thing is a beast! I'm also running a Teco TK150 chiller right now. Using the AI Prime over it, thinking of upgrading to the Hydra HD26, just HATE the mounting options for it.

25448505466_d12f6a5800_z.jpg

27396510285_e1202ef48d_z.jpg

26788638884_17715a2baf_z.jpg

27120894720_6b7394fb05_z.jpg

27120896760_eff3ccf2fe_z.jpg

27362886156_4e2263f0c5_z.jpg

27396536825_7db2a8b1b2_z.jpg

• Like 3
Finding Paulo

Cool tank!

are you saying you like the desktop skimmer more than the tunze 9001? .. i just bought a second desktop used(too good to pass up) that i was thinking of adding in the other chamber.

im curious to know if youre dosing calcium alk and mag or if your just doing water changes..

hooligan_78

looks damn good... I like my 9001.. surprised to see the opposite feedback

No no, I really like it for a small skimmer, but the older IM desktop skims much more efficiently and pulls a really dark brown skimmate.

Cool tank!

are you saying you like the desktop skimmer more than the tunze 9001? .. i just bought a second desktop used(too good to pass up) that i was thinking of adding in the other chamber.

im curious to know if youre dosing calcium alk and mag or if your just doing water changes..

I dose 2 part, and Fuel. I also am trying some dissolving tablets from Korilen Zucht which are supposed to be time release micro-nutrients.

looks damn good... I like my 9001.. surprised to see the opposite feedback

I've found with a lot of things in this hobby that you have to weigh individual opinion vs popular opinion. There are many posts on this forum stating the desktop skimmer is complete garbage, but a large portion of that seems to come from word of mouth opinion versus actual use, or very short term use with seemingly no work to remedy the problems. I'll admit I thought the same thing initially with mine it was loud, didn't work very well and I felt like an idiot for buying it.

A bit more reading, coupled with disassembly and thorough cleaning ended up solving all the noise issues for me. It had a few months use from the previous owner and I didn't realize there was salt build up in places like the air line to the venturi, nor that the pump body was twisted completely against the acrylic housing which just further amplified vibration. Now the impeller is silent with no body vibration, the air intake has been reduced to a quiet gurgle and it's pulling good skim.

That doesn't mean this is better or worse than the 9001, as I have no actual experience with that unit, but it is working well without issue. I do think it is overpriced if buying new, but you can say that about pretty much all of IM's accessories.

• Like 2
hooligan_78

What kind of fish do you have in there?

Red banded goby/pistol shrimp

Banded Sleeper Goby

Carpenter's Wrasse

Pair of clowns

Banded Possum Wrasse

Green Clown Goby

• Like 1

Nice crew of fish.

When was that Carpenters Wrasse added? I have been thinking about getting one but worry about introducing it to other established fish.

hooligan_78

Nice crew of fish.

When was that Carpenters Wrasse added? I have been thinking about getting one but worry about introducing it to other established fish.

One of the last, he's pretty chill.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
hooligan_78

Are you having to feed the sleeper multiple times per day?

No, I just feed once per day pellets and he eats then. He spends his day sifting sand and between him and the wrasse, I never see pods anywhere in my tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well after the aforementioned ich outbreak, I did lose most everything, couple that with a crash while I was on vacation back in October, I've had to redo the tank.

Currently I have my candycane pistol shrimp and goby, an anthias, my picasso clowns that I got at MACNA last year, and a mandarin.

Most recent full tank shot:

29996111842_1b1e153029_c.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Dig the RFA. rockwork looks pretty good too.

I actually just sold the rock flower. Dude thing was close to 8" across, it was all taco'd in to the front of the tank.  Felt kinda bad for it.

36201009650_16a357cdda_c.jpg

11 hours ago, Friendly said:

what do you have in there now, hooligan? 

any close up's you can share? :D 

Nothing super current.  I'll take some shots tonight and get them posted.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Friendly said:

hey hooligan, just a bump for the new photo's.

also, do you regret going with two AI Prime HD's vs a single Hydra 26 HD? 

Haha! Sorry, totally forgot.  No I don't regret it at all.  I would live a Hydra, but I hated the mounting options,  I think that's their biggest flaw: the mounting/hanging options are a pain, or don't look good.