SaltCritters.com

Hi from a newbie :)

MrsPeet15

Came home to our first emerald shed today. Hubby freaked out and though he'd died

image_zps9z1frjmp.jpeg

We fed the tank after removing it and sure enough two bright green shiny claws reached out of the rock to grab some pellets.

Hammerstone

I have never had luck with emeralds for

Some reason. They never seem to live more than a few Weeks So I gave up on them. They are sweet

Cute little guys!! Glad you're having luck with them!!?

Came home to our first emerald shed today. Hubby freaked out and though he'd died

image_zps9z1frjmp.jpeg

We fed the tank after removing it and sure enough two bright green shiny claws reached out of the rock to grab some pellets.

Hint about emerald crabs, if you don't have enough algae and detritus for them to stay well fed they can start misbehaving and munching on things you don't want them to. Alot of people wont keep them for this reason. I give mine a little chunk of raw table shrimp every now and then but what I found he really loves is some dried seaweed. I cut a strip no wider than a pencil and maybe an inch long and tuck the edge of it under a rock at the bottom of the tank. He finds it and munches it up pretty quickly, I do this twice a week and I haven't caught him nipping at any corals yet. I bought a little bag of Rods seaweed sheets for tangs and it'll probably last him a year.

Hammerstone he's fun to watch, he has a real attitude! Thanks for the advice jimmyree, don't want him going rogue! I was actually going to pick a bit of nori up from our LFS as I figured once he comes out tough and shiny again he'll be bigger and HUNGRY! I don't have a big sump to banish him to if he starts munching everything ? I'll have a look at getting him seafood too though so thanks for the pointer! He loves goldpods so I'm sure he'll love shrimp.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! It's just a crappy blue/white LED thing that came as part of the set up. To be fair it's not terrible little light but not sufficient to support anything more than the little leather. We have a new one on its way which wasn't particularly expensive but has 24 more LEDs so hopefully it'll be much better! Everything seems well! Leather has just shed too which was interesting to see! The light that is coming is a bendy arm job like our current one, do you think I'll be best to gradually bring it down into position so as not to give everything a shock?

Thanks! It's just a crappy blue/white LED thing that came as part of the set up. To be fair it's not terrible little light but not sufficient to support anything more than the little leather. We have a new one on its way which wasn't particularly expensive but has 24 more LEDs so hopefully it'll be much better! Everything seems well! Leather has just shed too which was interesting to see! The light that is coming is a bendy arm job like our current one, do you think I'll be best to gradually bring it down into position so as not to give everything a shock?

any type of new LED always if brighter do about half then bring it up. this also depends on how high it is from your tank plans how high ? When i got my Ecotech pro i took it way down and then brought up 5% a week

Well again it's on a bendy arm like our current one, we aren't suspending our lights at the moment. So I figured it would be best to keep it a higher angle for a bit then gradually bend it down into permanent position over the course of a few weeks. It's not a particularly flashy light so doesn't dim or brighten - we wanted to wait before splashing out on something really fabulous for a bit as eventually we will be upgrading so want to make a good decision as advised by Clown?

Thought I'd share for anyone who's interested, our leather shed over the last week and emerged for the first time this morning looking somewhat better than it had!

image_zpsl4wxmdhr.jpeg

For a while I really thought I was losing it so was really happy to see it returning to its former glory today!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post, our first fish arrived two days ago:image_zpsod6wxxvj.jpeg

He will be our only one in this tank untill we upgrade due to the size but I'd been fawning over him the last few weeks and our reef friend turned up on Friday night with him because she was sick of us procrastinating again!

He eats flake and nyos gold pods and has found a hole in the live rock he really loves. He's set straight to work clearing up our copepod population - we did a water change before adding him and still have a plethora of them.

He's great!

Elizabeth94

Looking really great in there. I love the color on your rock it is fantastic!

Goby looks nice and fat- well fed and healthy. Should be a great fish to start with. Look forward to see your progress.

Word of caution- this hobby can be dangerous. Once that little tank fills up (which it can do quite quickly) you will be daydreaming about an upgrade, and possibly a second tank. Take your time ;)

Looking really great in there. I love the color on your rock it is fantastic!

Goby looks nice and fat- well fed and healthy. Should be a great fish to start with. Look forward to see your progress.

Word of caution- this hobby can be dangerous. Once that little tank fills up (which it can do quite quickly) you will be daydreaming about an upgrade, and possibly a second tank. Take your time ;)

Oh Elizabeth you have no idea!! We're itching already but will be in Malaysia for half a month next year so we're trying to be sensible and avoid an upgrade untill then! Might end up with a new tank in the shed to combat the holiday blues when we get back though! ? He seems well enough and was picking away at the flake we fed today, he's found his place in the rock so I'm really happy, I can't deny I was nervous about getting a fish but he's given me the bug!!

Archived