Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hanna Alk reagent recall

gus6464

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

I bought the checker from BRS during their December group buy and the reagent that came with is on the recall list so check your bottles. Also bought another bottle of reagent at Amazon 3 weeks later and that is also recalled. Guess I come out somewhat ahead though as one of my reagent bottles is pretty much gone. Doubt it's off by much as my SPS haven't complained.

I bought the checker from BRS during their December group buy and the reagent that came with is on the recall list so check your bottles. Also bought another bottle of reagent at Amazon 3 weeks later and that is also recalled. Guess I come out somewhat ahead though as one of my reagent bottles is pretty much gone. Doubt it's off by much as my SPS haven't complained.

I got a bottle in December of the Alk refill, I will check tomorrow. Thank for the tip

I just bought two new bottles and they're both on the recall list. It makes sense though because the new bottle was giving me a slightly higher reading than the old which I thought was odd, now I know. Thanks for the heads up!

I just bought two new bottles and they're both on the recall list. It makes sense though because the new bottle was giving me a slightly higher reading than the old which I thought was odd, now I know. Thanks for the heads up!

Same here, two new bottles from Amazon earlier this month. Seems to read at least .5 dKh too high when I checked against Salifert.

Thanks alot for this Gus I had two bottles that are on the recall list :o

So I tested both of my bottles and compared to a fresh 50g drum of ocean water I just got on Sunday. My ocean water always reads ~7.0 dKH on the money. I tested both bottles twice.

Salinity 35 PPM

Lot 5554

~5.82 dKH

Lot 5672

~6.94 dKH

So lot 5554 is way off compared to 5672. Good thing I was running the tank based on lot 5554 @7.2dKH so my real dKH is not that high.

So I tested both of my bottles and compared to a fresh 50g drum of ocean water I just got on Sunday. My ocean water always reads ~7.0 dKH on the money. I tested both bottles twice.

Lot 5672

~6.94 dKH

So lot 5554 is way off compared to 5672. Good thing I was running the tank based on lot 5554 @7.2dKH so my real dKH is not that high.

I have 5672. So its accurate? In that case my Alk IS low haha

Thanks for posting this as I never would have known... I just bought my Checker from BRS less than a week ago. I've got lot # 5462 which is on the recall list too.

I spoke to Hannah about the issue and this is what the actual tech told me. He said that the recall is due to a chemical reaction that occurs when the reagent comes into contact with the roof of the cap (that white circular thing on the underside of the cap). This reaction alters the color of the reagent, effectively changing what your reading will be in your alkalinity checker. So if you've laid your bottle down after removing that thin seal (when you first open it) then your bottle may be affected. If you've kept your bottle standing up right after removing the seal and the reagent has never made contact with the top of the cap, then your bottle of reagent is perfectly fine. He told me that even if this is you, they'll still gladly replace your bottles.

I also asked him about where we can purchase more reagent we won't know the lot numbers on bottles we buy from as online venders and he told me that Hannah has already reached out to them. He said Marine Depot has already made contact with Hannah and he believes their stock has been replaced entirely, and they're working with others. If you get a bottle with a 'bad' lot number there should be a sticker saying 'passed' to let you know the cap has been replaced.

righttirefire

Mine lays in it side and has gotten progressively worse. It read 5.4 dKH yesterday and 9.5 dKH with my red sea kit. So if you notice your readings dropping.

Archived