Top Shelf Aquatics

Starting a new Fluval Edge 6g Need some help/input!

redknight

Hey guys, I'm totally new to the hobby and about to set up a new Edge 6g. A lot of you probably will say that it's a bad tank to start out with and to that I just want you to know that I felt in love with the tank and I'm a medical student, so time is an issue. I want something nice to look at while I study. Something small that can site on my desk. And something different, I didn't just want another 10g tank! I want to start with something small and see where it goes. I plan on putting the tank next to my desk out of sun light of-course. Also plan on putting some corals in the tank not sure what kind yet, still doing some research.I would like to keep this tank as simple as possible but I do not mind doing some work. So here is what I have so far.

Fluval Edge 6g (got it for $20 bucks new)

SpectraPure 6 Stage Choramine w/SilicaBuster and MaxCap RO/DI (I was some what unsure about actually purchasing a RO/DI system but I didn't want to have to go to the store and bring back water every week)

Fluval E50 heater (got this because I didn't want an ugly thermometer and this heater has one build in)

So that's everything... now I know I need to upgrade the lighting if I want any kind of corals at all. Looking at AI Prime and EdgeBrite.

Lighting

So here is my first question. I see on ebay that there are a couple of options for EdgeBrite. They make the standard 9v (I know this isn't enought) but what should I get 18v, 27v, 36v. Please keep in mind that I don't know what I want to keep for corals yet but I def want room to grown. Are there any other options beside Edgebrite and AI Prime? Any pros from one over the other? I want to keep the stock look of the Edge as much as possible.

Filtration

With what I want to do, do I need to do anything different with the stock filter that comes with the Edge? I also read in here that some members took it out all together and just added a power head for water movement and did a 50% water change every week. I kind of like this idea but I wasn't sure if this is possible or not. I would like the inside of the tank to look as clean as possible. So I really like this idea, to just remove the filter all together and just use a power head. From my understanding the live rocks do most of the chemical filtration anyhow.

Pumps/Power Head

I was very close to purchasing an Hydor Nano 240 with a Smartwave controller. I was thinking of hooking two 240 and putting them on opposite side in the tank. Set them on opposite 6 hour timer. Is this too much for the 6g tank. Any thoughts on going with a Jebao RW4. I read here that the RW4 is def too much for the tank and I would only be able to use the lowest setting. But I also read that I could get a adjustable power supply to reduce the incoming power and by doing so be able to use all the function of the RW4. I guess I'm leaning towards the RW4 because of the ability to make waves. But I guess my next question is, do I really need to make waves or is constant water movement enough? Are random waves movement better for the corals? Could I get the same thing with two 240... I don't mind messing with the power supply option for the RW4 but rather not risk a fire.

Live Rock and Sand

I haven't really look into this yet but I know this is going to be the next step after the equipment. I know live sand is the way to go, so no question there. I don't plan on putting anything in the tank right away, 2 or even 3 months down the road. So should I go with live cure rock or live rock?

Sorry for all the questions.... Any input and help would be greatly appreciated!

OK, that's not so many questions. A year in, I still feel like a total noob (a totally hooked total noob, but a noob none-the-less).

Lighting:

I have the Ultrabrite 36W with Cree LEDs and the non-wireless controller (at their recommendation I went with the non-wireless controller, as it apparently allows much more control - it is not an elegant interface, but it does allow for 3 channel son control. Be warned, it requires Windows for control, so if you are a mac guy, don't go with the wired controller). I am currently running all 3 channels at 45%, and it is plenty of light in the 6 Gallon. Spread could be better (I think if would be better in a 12 gallon nano - certainly has a lot of fall off at the edges on a 6 gallon (so, if you put your low light mushrooms on the edge at the bottom, they do fine, and sps sticks can grow in the middle and up high), so I have another little 5 W 5 diode LED bar across the front of the tank.

Filtration:

I have the HOB running with a bunch of live rock rubble and some carbon in it. I don't have a skimmer, or anything else. Water change schedule changes with how busy and how involved I want to be. At a minimum, I do 1 gallon twice a week, and I try to blast the sand with a turkey baster once/week to mix it up (I have enough stuff in the tank I can't vacuum the sand without knocking corals off, even though I am just vacuuming with a piece of ~1/2 inch external diameter flexible tubing). At the maximum I have done once/day 1 gallon water changes and 5 gallon change once/week. I don't notice much of a difference in the schedules. If I feed my corals more, I do more changes. Right now I am feeding Reef Roids once/week and a mixture of AcroPower and Marine Snow (0.25 ml of each) once or twice a week.

Live Rock and Sand:

I have sand, and have not had problems. I blast it with a turkey baster weekly to make sure it is well mixed. There are vigorous debates on here about sand vs. bare bottom tanks. I think the sand looks better. Live rock is also what you want, IMHO. It is your main biological filtration.

Powerhead

The 240 is plenty of flow for the tank. Maybe even too much flow - I have mine pointed down towards some LR a couple of inches away to decrease the flow a bit. I also have the HOB running, so there is a lot of chaos in the flow. Don't know about the other powerheads. I don't think you need to worry about wave patterns - the glass on the top will likely dampen the wave pattern down a lot and minimize the benefit.

Welcome to the hobby and to N-R by the way! Like everyone else will tell you, read lots, ask lots of questions (it is a very welcoming forum) and GO SLOW.

Archived