inTank Media Baskets

New critters on glass - ID and good/bad/indifferent?

holy carp

I haven't added anything to my aquarium for a couple months except for a few new snails last weekend. They were 2 Margarita, 3 Astrea, and 1 Trochus. This afternoon I noticed about a dozen of these tiny things on the glass. They are between 1 and 2mm long, and seem to have 2 antennae. I did a water change yesterday, so I had stirred up the sand bed a bit, so not sure if I scared them out of the sand (like the flatworms that all came out) or if they hatched from somewhere else.

Could these be baby snails? They don't appear to have any shells, but I don't know if those develop later...

post-87676-0-01783400-1445187492_thumb.jpg

Here's a zoomed closeup of the top left one.

post-87676-0-91314100-1445187507_thumb.jpg

These things are coming out in droves...

20151019_085230_zpsze5vb1xq.jpg

Did I stump the nano-reefers? If not snails, could they be baby bristle worms?

Should I be afraid? :scarry:

I think I figured out what happened.

On Saturday I did a water change, and since I had a little cyano on the sand and between the sand and the front glass, I used a pipette to blast into the sand and loosen the bacteria before siphoning out a few gallons of water. I didn't notice it then, since my sand is fine and the water ends up cloudy for 15 minutes after disturbing the sand bed, but these little guys are living in the sand and weren't too thrilled about having their abodes blasted.

Last night when I got home, these worms weren't on the glass anymore. I noticed a clump of cyano I had missed before, so just blasted a small section of sand. This didn't make the water cloudy, since it was just about 6" along the glass. But then I saw these worms parading out of the sand and onto the glass. Then they float away in the current on their long antennae. They're so thin it wasn't possible to get a photo of them in the water, but it made me think of baby spiders floating into the breeze on their silk.

I think I have to get a real camera or at least a macro lens for my phone. There's just too much to see in there...

Archived