SaltCritters.com

mtamorrows IM Fusion Nuvo 30L......1st attempt at reefing

mtamorrow

I appreciates everyone's welcomes and help so far as I get into this hobby.

Since I got some of the equipment 2 weeks ago and ordered a bunch more today, I figured it's time to start a build thread.

Got the IM 30L and stand last week. it arrived in perfect condition:

post-89149-0-51404500-1444783451_thumb.jpg

Here is a list of what I got with the tank and what is on order so far:

Innovative Marine 30 gal NUVO fusion (tank)

IM stand

Innovative Marine AUQA gadget ghost protein skimmer

Innovative Marine minimax AIO desktop media reactor

Innovative Marine AUQA gadget spin stream return nozzle

Jager 75w heater x2

Innovative Marine 200 micron filter sock

Tunze nano ATO

Innovative Marine AUQA gadget custom caddy media basket x2

marine depot RO/DI

maxspecr razor 420 R 27" 10K

tunze nanostream 6040

thermometer

Eheim filter floss

marineland maxijet 1200 pwr head for mixing salt / backup

red sea refractometer

blue filter pads

reef cleaners 30lb dry, cured rock

carib sea dry aragonite special grade reef sand…..30lb

marc weiss bacteria booster

API test /ammonia pH nitrate nitrite

API phosphate test

red sea alk/calcium/magnesium test

red sea calcium supplement

red sea alk supplement

red sea magnesium supplement

coral rx coral dip

boyd chemi bags 2 pk

chemipure elite

2 little fishies npx bio plastics

phosguard pellets (in bag)

IM AUQA gadget accudrip

algae magnet

I will post more pics once I get the reef cleaners rock......I'm hoping they make me as happy a everyone else that has bought from them.

I am also very open for any advice or opinions.

Thanks

Got the last of my gear yesterday from Marine Depot, and my rock from reef cleaners.

The rock is great and John sent me exactly what I asked for: smaller pcs to fit in the 30L since it is long, narrow, and shallow.

Here are some pics of the rock and a 1st attempt at a 'scape.

Also want to thank Marine depot for the help over the phone and price matching my Razor 420......just as they say they will do.

Going to rinse my sand, make water, and get this tank filled over the weekend!

post-89149-0-92823900-1445343973_thumb.jpg

post-89149-0-27004500-1445343974_thumb.jpg

YOU DID IT!!! You started a tank thread! Woooo!

Just kidding... It actually looks like you did a really good job researching the start of your tank. That's a really solid equipment list. I'll be watching along now so if you have any other questions you can't find answers to; just post em here and someone will be around shortly.

Check out this thread; it has some good things to keep in mind whilst aquascaping.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311811-tips-and-tricks-on-creating-amazing-aquascapes/

Very exciting! You are off to a great start. Now the fun begins...scaping is one of the pleasures I enjoy about this hobby.

Love me some fusion tanks! Can't wait to see this tank up and running!

YOU DID IT!!! You started a tank thread! Woooo!

Just kidding... It actually looks like you did a really good job researching the start of your tank. That's a really solid equipment list. I'll be watching along now so if you have any other questions you can't find answers to; just post em here and someone will be around shortly.

Check out this thread; it has some good things to keep in mind whilst aquascaping.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311811-tips-and-tricks-on-creating-amazing-aquascapes/

Thanks everyone! I got my RO/DI up and running last night. Taking a 1/2 day off from work today. have a few errands to run but then it rinsing sand and making more water.

Given my setup and where my water is being made, I think I will lay in the sand, then place the rock, then add in the salt water.

I have read where some folks place rock on the bottom then add sand around it.

Does it really matter as long as I work the rock down into the sand bed?

I will check out that article pinner......Thanks

Thanks again, more questions to follow!

Thanks everyone! I got my RO/DI up and running last night. Taking a 1/2 day off from work today. have a few errands to run but then it rinsing sand and making more water.

Given my setup and where my water is being made, I think I will lay in the sand, then place the rock, then add in the salt water.

I have read where some folks place rock on the bottom then add sand around it.

Does it really matter as long as I work the rock down into the sand bed?

I will check out that article pinner......Thanks

Thanks again, more questions to follow!

I personally prefer to put my rock in first get it to where I like it and make sure it's the scape I like and I won't be moving it around and then add sand around it. I want to believe that it makes a more solid base so if any of my sand sifters bury under the rocks nothing will move.

I personally prefer to put my rock in first get it to where I like it and make sure it's the scape I like and I won't be moving it around and then add sand around it. I want to believe that it makes a more solid base so if any of my sand sifters bury under the rocks nothing will move.

Thanks JLB, I have read that several places too, and I guess that is what I will do. I have tried to follow a lot of good advice and reasoning so far. No sense in trying to take the easy way out now!

Should I epoxy my rock together as well?

If I decide to go bigger some day, can the rock be separated once it is epoxied or is it a permanent thing?

You can epoxy the rock together and it helps alot. Just make sure the epoxy is designed to be used in aquariums or for potable water. If you want to make a change you can still pry the rocks apart with a screwdriver after the fact.

Happy scaping!

You can epoxy the rock together and it helps alot. Just make sure the epoxy is designed to be used in aquariums or for potable water. If you want to make a change you can still pry the rocks apart with a screwdriver after the fact.

Happy scaping!

Thanks Pinner..........

Thanks JLB, I have read that several places too, and I guess that is what I will do. I have tried to follow a lot of good advice and reasoning so far. No sense in trying to take the easy way out now!

Should I epoxy my rock together as well?

If I decide to go bigger some day, can the rock be separated once it is epoxied or is it a permanent thing?

Just get some putty from your LFS or I know BRS has a huge tube of epoxy for a pretty good deal as well it will make your entire scape a little safer in the long run so you don't knock pieces over when you clean and all. As for my fusion I have 3 pillars that I want to load it with coral so I don't have pieces stacked so makes it a little easier for me.

Laid in my rock / sand (after using a lot of water to rinse and clean!), filled wit salt water.

I like the left side of the scape, but I am going to redo the right side tonight....more of a right to left slope down to the middle.

Tank was really clear this morning, which is when I took the photo.

I put the IM spin streams on and they make a lot of noise.........I'm going to let them run a while and see if it's just a "break in" issue.

Also hooked up the Tunze 6040 nano stream........cant hear ANYTHING........but I have to play around with it a bit on placement.

I will post pics of the redo scape tomorrow.

post-89149-0-77360900-1445520962_thumb.jpg

Liking the scape so far, if you're unhappy I would go into the scape section of the forum and look they really help bring aquariums into works of art. Super cool ideas as well.

Liking the scape so far, if you're unhappy I would go into the scape section of the forum and look they really help bring aquariums into works of art. Super cool ideas as well.

Thanks JLB.......I've been checking out a lot. Let's see if I paid attention when I redo the right side!

well, I re-scaped the right side last night, added a small dead minnow to start the cycle, and set up the light.

Also played around with the Tunze 6040 controller.

Tonight I'm planning on setting up the ATO.

Salinity is at 1.026 and temp is holding steady at 79.8 - 80.1F

I guess its just sit and wait until I see the ammonia start climbing, then add some bottled bacteria? or should I add some now?

post-89149-0-92764600-1445602564_thumb.jpg

post-89149-0-50106900-1445602565_thumb.jpg

post-89149-0-96788200-1445602565_thumb.jpg

Nice really like the little separation you have between the rocks on either side looks like you will have plenty of room for some nice corals too. What's ideas do you have for stocking the tank?

Nice really like the little separation you have between the rocks on either side looks like you will have plenty of room for some nice corals too. What's ideas do you have for stocking the tank?

CUC - snail only. no hermits, but I do like crabs (emerald / pom pom etc). I read so many different things about crabs (good and bad). I will probably get 1 and keep an eye on it

For fish /inverts, here is my list.....It's to many so I will pare it down as time goes:

1 clown / BTA

1 yellow watchman goby / pistol shrimp

1 cleaner shrimp.

1 blenny(bicolor), add after tank is up and running for a while

1 fire fish

1 blue green chromis

1 royal gramma

1 banggai cardinal

CUC - snail only. no hermits, but I do like crabs (emerald / pom pom etc). I read so many different things about crabs (good and bad). I will probably get 1 and keep an eye on it

For fish /inverts, here is my list.....It's to many so I will pare it down as time goes:

1 clown / BTA

1 yellow watchman goby / pistol shrimp

1 cleaner shrimp.

1 blenny(bicolor), add after tank is up and running for a while

1 fire fish

1 blue green chromis

1 royal gramma

1 banggai cardinal

Sounds like a big list if you're worried about crabs picking at your corals I haven't had any problems, now my hermits have torn my snails out of their shells for a bigger house but that's about it.

The IM spin streams are wicked loud when you first pop them on. After two weeks mine were silent, just give'm time.

As far as the crabs, I've had emeralds before and mine always ate my corals. I hear they're hit or miss, but I avoid them now lol.

Nice looking start, can't wait to see how it fills out!

The IM spin streams are wicked loud when you first pop them on. After two weeks mine were silent, just give'm time.

As far as the crabs, I've had emeralds before and mine always ate my corals. I hear they're hit or miss, but I avoid them now lol.

Thanks. I will give them time. I actually think the stock pump makes more noise than they do.

Sounds like a big list if you're worried about crabs picking at your corals I haven't had any problems, now my hermits have torn my snails out of their shells for a bigger house but that's about it.

yeah, I know the list is long. I will only go with 4-5 fish. just gotta choose.

Thanks

Just want to say the spin streams have quieted down considerably!

Archived