inTank Media Baskets

Is this how a torch coral splits/grows new heads?

holy carp

9:30 am today:

post-87676-0-49698100-1443380921_thumb.jpg

looks like normal - It didn't appear any different when I fed the fish at around 1pm

2:15 pm today:

post-87676-0-03057200-1443380979_thumb.jpg

flesh on sides has pulled up and seems to be connected across the center

also, some brownish stringy mucous was coming out

3:00 pm today from top:
post-87676-0-98306900-1443381145_thumb.jpg

you can see the connection across

Yea that's normal. The most important indicator to health is the flesh and how it connects to the stalk. See how the stalk is green up to the flesh? This is a good sign there hadn't been any recession and the coral is healthy. When euphillias are unhealthy they tend to show recession, exposing a bright white algae free stalk, before you might even notice they are unhappy.

I should add ... the brown stringy mucous might be it taking a crap or it might be expelling zoox due to having too much light, or simply adjusting to the light. Sometimes it takes them a half day or so to return to normal, but if it doesn't I would look to move it and check water params.

Thanks.

It's been pretty much in the same spot with the same lighting for 3 months (as of tomorrow). It has seemed pretty content and opens up every day and closes when the moonlights come on, so I don't think it's unhealthy. Right now it has opened back up again, though maybe not quite as much as typical.

post-87676-0-71221700-1443392362_thumb.jpgpost-87676-0-56348000-1443392353_thumb.jpg

Last night when it closed, it appeared to be just one clump of tentacle tips (as it had always been since I got it). The tentacles retract so it looks like a crew cut. Now I'm wondering how it will look tonight. i.e. whether the separation will be visible.

My hammer is currently on a massive growth spurt. It's now up to about 5 heads, or will be when they do move completely apart. It won't happen over night, but the 2 heads will continue to move apart eventually being completely separate.

If it's happy like it looks and sounds I wouldn't be surprised if you see it start splitting multiple ways at the same time.

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, my torch will randomly suck almost all the way into the skeleton sometimes (during the day). Started with 2 heads ~ 5 months ago, 6 or 7 heads now.

Archived