Coral Vue Hydros

Emmett's rimless 10g cube

temet vince

temet vince

Hey! This is my second saltwater nano build. My first one was sold years ago when I moved. Finally got a little time to set up another one :)

It's cycling... and it is NASTY. Not really sure what to say about the build. If you have questions please let me know.

Equipment:
Finnex fugeray planted+
Eshopps nano overflow
Sicce multi 1300 pump
Hydor koralia 425 powerhead
Old aqueon 300w heater

Misc:
Gatorade bottle ATO

Filtration:
22 lbs live rock
I'm guessing about 15 liters of glowstone rock (with a sock to prevent detritus buildup)

Critters:
3 hermit crabs (1 red, 2 blue)

dWQggh0.jpg

tDZeXM4.jpg

IYi2rfG.jpg

UGz38zq.jpg

i7ZfxbK.jpg

MjdpGwo.jpg

uEBucR7.jpg

DsLbvD9.jpg

cH7Aw03.jpg
That tiny rock is a hermit.

Sk8n Reefer

Hey there - looks like a cool build- nano with a sump! Send a piece of flake food regularly to that hermit- he'll love ya for it ! Try imgur.com for posting pictures- I really like that site and they don't lower the resolution on your photos! Just upload a photo and click the link button and hit the BB code and copy then paste into your thread - really simple. Like your whole sump set up you have going. What are your stocking plans?

temet vince

Hey there - looks like a cool build- nano with a sump! Send a piece of flake food regularly to that hermit- he'll love ya for it ! Try imgur.com for posting pictures- I really like that site and they don't lower the resolution on your photos! Just upload a photo and click the link button and hit the BB code and copy then paste into your thread - really simple. Like your whole sump set up you have going. What are your stocking plans?

Thanks! Wow, Imgur is so much better. I've updated my op. My girlfriend (Rosey) is an imgur fanatic but I didn't know it was also for picture hosting for forums! She loves it for the funny pictures and even funnier comments.

I'll have to give those hermits some flake food as a treat for surviving the cycling for sure! As it is right now, they eat constantly; I think they're in a gluttonous paradise at the moment. One of them has already molted. He disappeared for a day and then reappeared with an "imaginary" friend/husk which he promptly devoured.

Thanks for the complement on the sump. I didn't have one on my first nano, and frankly I can already tell a huge difference. Setting it up has been... well a trip, that's for sure. Like anything, I'm sure the knowledge I gained will make the next setup easier.

Critters I like:

tuxedo urchin (had one before, never had any problem with glued down corals)

turbo snail

skunk shrimp

harlequin shrimp

electric flame scallop

blenny

seahorses (Rosey wants them. I'm... unconvinced. But you know how that goes)

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks! Wow, Imgur is so much better. I've updated my op. My girlfriend (Rosey) is an imgur fanatic but I didn't know it was also for picture hosting for forums! She loves it for the funny pictures and even funnier comments.I'll have to give those hermits some flake food as a treat for surviving the cycling for sure! As it is right now, they eat constantly; I think they're in a gluttonous paradise at the moment. One of them has already molted. He disappeared for a day and then reappeared with an "imaginary" friend/husk which he promptly devoured.Thanks for the complement on the sump. I didn't have one on my first nano, and frankly I can already tell a huge difference. Setting it up has been... well a trip, that's for sure. Like anything, I'm sure the knowledge I gained will make the next setup easier.Critters I like:tuxedo urchin (had one before, never had any problem with glued down corals)turbo snailskunk shrimpharlequin shrimpelectric flame scallopblennyseahorses (Rosey wants them. I'm... unconvinced. But you know how that goes)

Ya imgur is awesome! " gluttonous paradise" - I love it! So are you planning on any corals? What about a protein skimmer in the sump?

temet vince

sk8n reefer: I am planning corals! Cheap ones lol, and it'll be a bit. My lfs is fantastic, so I'll probably buy most of them there. They have a rack of small $10 corals, so maybe I'll save up and buy $50 worth later. I doubt I'll get a protein skimmer, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Glad you're enjoying the tank! At least one person around here commented ;) I'll keep updating this thread regardless because I find it a convenient way for me to keep track of my own tank lol. By the way, I am totally open to coral suggestions.

----------------

Had water tested at lfs: no ammonia. Went ahead and grabbed a couple of trochus snails and an emerald crab.

nRyLZnc.jpg

HiQAzbJ.jpg

rMvXZHN.jpg

DsaRzhX.jpg

Nice to see another nano with a sump. I actually had a cube that size when i started, what kind of tank is it? My tank is going through that ugly phase right now as well. Hopefully it wont last long for us.

Sk8n Reefer

Cool, Ya depending on your light - that will dictate mostly what corals you should keep. Leathers and mushrooms - various softes is a good way to easy back into the hobby. Your Emerald will be keeping that rock clean of algae for sure- might need to hand him some flake (veggie) too until the algae takes off. That's great you have a good lfs- that helps I also have a really good store here in Co. Have you thought about evaporation and looked at ATO units - wonder how much you'll lose a day with the sump

Definately keep updating- the community will find you - takes a bit. Start commenting on others threads- that will open the door. Interested to see what you do with the tank

Nice to see another nano with a sump. I actually had a cube that size when i started, what kind of tank is it? My tank is going through that ugly phase right now as well. Hopefully it wont last long for us.

Well... after some searching there's apparently a label that blends in with the sand bed. It says aquatop. I bought it from my lfs with a stand (which is now a bookshelf) and other supplies (most of which I delegated to my aquarium storage bin lol) for $75. I've never heard of the brand before.

Cool, Ya depending on your light - that will dictate mostly what corals you should keep.

Yeah, I'm definitely caught about the light. Looked it up, and it's a fugeray planted+. Makes sense why my algae bloom was so bad! I love that I ended up with a plant light, so rather than get rid of it I'm considering moving it to the sump and leaving it on 24/7. Thank you for your recommendations on livestock. I'm currently trying to decide on cheap lighting options. Really, really considering a par38, but afraid of shadows.

How's the tank doing? Any new additions?

Sorry, I've been on a mini vacation! Got home, the algae bloom is gone (yay!). Unfortunately, there was an epic campaign of destruction and bloodshed wrought by the hermit crabs. What a massacre. Scarlet legs everywhere, mutilated corpses, and rampant shell pillaging. As it stands, only 2 hermit crabs and one snail remain. I can only imagine the horrors these three must have observed, and with their triumph they be deserving no less than an upgrade to full hero status. (I think it's time to take a break from dwarf fortress.)

I did have someone taking care of the tank while I was gone, but the real problem was that I underestimated the hermit crabs growth rate and didn't provide bigger shells soon enough. Not sure why the emerald died.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived