inTank Media Baskets

White Fuzzy extended sac balloon...

holy carp

A few days ago, I saw something funny attached to the biggest nerite in my tank. It looked *almost* like a contracted digitate hydroid, but didn't seem to move much. After two days, it was still attached there and somewhat buoyant - it almost looked like the snail was carrying a balloon around. That day, I saw a few other floating around in the tank and a one or two attached to or caught on the rock work. I sucked one into a pipette in the photo. I wish I had a picture of the snail carrying it around.

post-87676-0-20961100-1436626222_thumb.jpg

Yesterday they all disappeared...

Does anybody know what these were?

Cencalfishguy56

A few days ago, I saw something funny attached to the biggest nerite in my tank. It looked *almost* like a contracted digitate hydroid, but didn't seem to move much. After two days, it was still attached there and somewhat buoyant - it almost looked like the snail was carrying a balloon around. That day, I saw a few other floating around in the tank and a one or two attached to or caught on the rock work. I sucked one into a pipette in the photo. I wish I had a picture of the snail carrying it around.

White thing from nerite snail.jpg

Yesterday they all disappeared...

Does anybody know what these were?

They all just went to the carnival and got themselves some snail balloons I would think, jk all jokes aside im interested to see what it is

The way they were floating around, it's possible that they ended up in the sock, but I'll keep my eye out for new residents!

You know what? I saw something very similar in my tank a couple months back! I saw about 5 of them all floating around and then poof, they were gone. I'll be curious to see if you find out more as it always kind of intrigued me but I couldn't find anything about them.

I am now wondering if these had something to do with nerites mating... I noticed this morning a significant number of nerite eggs laid on my rock work and glass... Those snails are pissing me off... They hang out in the front corner of the tank in an orgy all day, they don't seem to touch the diatoms that are covering the sand, and now my rock is getting covered in white oval egg patches. And contrary to the reefcleaner description, they are pretty ugly.

OK, rant over, but I still wonder if those white things were related, and I suspect so since they seemed to be attached to the snails originally.

That is definitely whale sperm - It's like regular sperm, but whale sized.

And nerite eggs? That's super awesome don't get pissed... That's free nutritious food for your tank and free snails from the ones that survive...

My snails are eunuchs apparently as this never happens for me.

Ha ha... Whales in my nano...

It's not the eggs that bug me, but the fact that the snails are never eating. But also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the eggs will not hatch if they aren't in some sort of total zone.

Ha ha... Whales in my nano...

It's not the eggs that bug me, but the fact that the snails are never eating. But also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the eggs will not hatch if they aren't in some sort of total zone.

It takes a bit for them to hatch. I've had nerites laying eggs all over the place for about 3 months and all of a sudden I now have TONS of baby nerites. Along with baby ceriths too.

Sorry, my phone's autocorrect changed tidal zone to total zone.

What do you do with all those baby snails? LFS?

Sorry, my phone's autocorrect changed tidal zone to total zone.

What do you do with all those baby snails? LFS?

None have gotten big enough yet to do anything with, I just have a ton roaming around. Once they get bigger, yeah, I'll bring them to the LFS.

Archived