ReefCleaners.org

Way to remove this ? from my Zoa's

Mom2many

Is this a white sponge and it seems to be making some of my zoa's it is in melt and not open. Is there a way to get it out of this grouping?

post-87944-0-82755100-1433371094_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-75695100-1433371112_thumb.jpg

Looks like a sponge, I would probably try some manual removal first. Use some tweezers to remove everything you can from between the zoas. The other thing people are likely to suggest is exposing the rock to air for a bit because sponges don't like air - though in my experience you have to squeeze the water out of them really good for the sponge to really die and even then it's not immediate. So the quickest and most thorough is probably going to be physical removal.

Good luck!

Looks like a sponge, I would probably try some manual removal first. Use some tweezers to remove everything you can from between the zoas. The other thing people are likely to suggest is exposing the rock to air for a bit because sponges don't like air - though in my experience you have to squeeze the water out of them really good for the sponge to really die and even then it's not immediate. So the quickest and most thorough is probably going to be physical removal.

Good luck!

Thank you so very much!!! If I left it, would it continue to grow and distroy this colony??

4 case I've seen of this in an aquarium, I'm not sure what it is, I can't find enough information, I think it is either a sponge or some fungus, whatever it is, it is very invasive. It spreads very quickly to what I read and it always seems to be unfriendly with corals.

Remove what you can with tweezers. The use super glue to cover the rest.

Thank you!

4 case I've seen of this in an aquarium, I'm not sure what it is, I can't find enough information, I think it is either a sponge or some fungus, whatever it is, it is very invasive. It spreads very quickly to what I read and it always seems to be unfriendly with corals.

I will be removing it for sure then. It is growing quickly.

we need to figure out the creature that will eat this stuff, until then keep plucking. actually come to think of it you could be of great help to figure what eats it, just make a spare tank for this stuff, i was thinking maybe something like an emerald crab might destroy it? it would be very helpful and nice if you do this :)

im like 75% sure it will come back

Yea some sort of sponge. I would go with the manual removal and have a helper with a tube draining water next to you plucking the sponge out ( to catch sponge debris).

If you can do manual removal out of the tank that would be ideal since sponges can't survive with air bubbles trapped inside them. After removal outside, do a quick rinse in spare saltwater to remove any particles and hope for the best.

we need to figure out the creature that will eat this stuff, until then keep plucking. actually come to think of it you could be of great help to figure what eats it, just make a spare tank for this stuff, i was thinking maybe something like an emerald crab might destroy it? it would be very helpful and nice if you do this :)

im like 75% sure it will come back

I would love an excuse to set up another tank for such a nobel cause but my husband would not be happy with me. We have 9 children still living at home and so I am blessed he lets me have the funds and time to play with the one I have. :)

Yea some sort of sponge. I would go with the manual removal and have a helper with a tube draining water next to you plucking the sponge out ( to catch sponge debris).

If you can do manual removal out of the tank that would be ideal since sponges can't survive with air bubbles trapped inside them. After removal outside, do a quick rinse in spare saltwater to remove any particles and hope for the best.

Thank you.

I would love an excuse to set up another tank for such a nobel cause but my husband would not be happy with me. We have 9 children still living at home and so I am blessed he lets me have the funds and time to play with the one I have. :)

Thank you.

I think you are definitely overstocked.

Just kidding, hope you figure out how to get rid of this thing and make those Zoas happy again.

I think you are definitely overstocked.

Just kidding, hope you figure out how to get rid of this thing and make those Zoas happy again.

LOL!! It does feel that way at times! My husband and I take in and adopt special needs and medically fragile children so we have a house full for sure. The ones at home range from age 20 years old to one month old.

My little tank is my thing I do for myself. It is suposed to be stress free enjoyment but often I am worried about a coral, fighting some kind of algea or like yesterday, have a white sponge pop up from no where!

I still enjoy it so very much though. Thanks for all the advice and help.

LOL!! It does feel that way at times! My husband and I take in and adopt special needs and medically fragile children so we have a house full for sure. The ones at home range from age 20 years old to one month old.

My little tank is my thing I do for myself. It is suposed to be stress free enjoyment but often I am worried about a coral, fighting some kind of algea or like yesterday, have a white sponge pop up from no where!

I still enjoy it so very much though. Thanks for all the advice and help.

I applaud you. It takes the right kind of people to do what you and your husband do. I wish you good fortune and the ability to continue helping as you have. I'm sure it means the world to the kids. If you ever need anything tank related I'm sure this community will do whatever they can to help you.

I applaud you. It takes the right kind of people to do what you and your husband do. I wish you good fortune and the ability to continue helping as you have. I'm sure it means the world to the kids. If you ever need anything tank related I'm sure this community will do whatever they can to help you.

Thank you. I give all the glory to God. We are blessed.

Everyone here has been very kind and helpful since I have joined and asked questions. I lurked for years and gathered a lot of helpful information then as well. Sifting thru the information that is here helped me avoid a lot of trouble for sure. I enjoy hearing about others tanks and seeing the beautiful fruit of their labors. Happy reefing!

Thank you.

I must say in all truth, this thing potentially will return, if it returns do not dispose any rocks, buy a small brachyura crab ( the true crabs) to see if that is the destroyer of this algae.if not we can try figure this out. 9 kids, that's a lot of work, I wish the best for you and I must say it's very kind to help the less fortunate children :)

This zoa colony, with the sponge on it, is a frag glued very securely to one of my main rocks I can not take out. If I chip the frag part off; it will tear up a lot of zoas that have spread over time onto my rockwork around it. So I took a tweezers to the sponge while it was in the water still. I will keep at it and pray none pop up anywhere else. Has anyone tried to use anything like AptasiaX on the place where it was? It was sugested to super glue over the area it was at. I could not get super glue to stick to that area under the water where it was at. It kept getting a thick film on it to fast. I will keep scraping that area every time I do tank maintainance. Thanks everyone for all the help and encouragment.

This zoa colony, with the sponge on it, is a frag glued very securely to one of my main rocks I can not take out. If I chip the frag part off; it will tear up a lot of zoas that have spread over time onto my rockwork around it. So I took a tweezers to the sponge while it was in the water still. I will keep at it and pray none pop up anywhere else. Has anyone tried to use anything like AptasiaX on the place where it was? It was sugested to super glue over the area it was at. I could not get super glue to stick to that area under the water where it was at. It kept getting a thick film on it to fast. I will keep scraping that area every time I do tank maintainance. Thanks everyone for all the help and encouragment.

as I said before you are the 4 case I've seen, all started within the last few months. One was successfully removed with manual removal, but another who followed with manual removal had tons pop up all over his tank, in the sand everywhere. If it comes back, keep plucking and maybe bring in a crab see if that is a solution. If that isn't helping we can try and brainstorm another option, does that sound all right to you?

as I said before you are the 4 case I've seen, all started within the last few months. One was successfully removed with manual removal, but another who followed with manual removal had tons pop up all over his tank, in the sand everywhere. If it comes back, keep plucking and maybe bring in a crab see if that is a solution. If that isn't helping we can try and brainstorm another option, does that sound all right to you?

Sounds wonderful. Thank you for all your help!

thecoralbeauty

I've had a sponge grow among my zoas before and the zoas ended up overtaking it. however, it looked nothing like what you have, which looks more like a fluffy piece of cotton.

it's too bad you can't take it out somehow, my concern is that if you pick at it underwater, spores or pieces of it may travel to other parts of your tank and take over there as well! it seems as though at this point though, we just need to hope that doesn't happen.

on a different note- you have me considering setting up a small reef tank for my classroom next year. do you find that your kids enjoy it very much? i'm thinking since I teach special education for reading and writing, it might be a good way to get my 8th graders involved in research (reading, technology competence with searches) and writing (if i have them post their questions and thoughts on a forum under my supervision, or keep a tank journal).

Today is their last day of school. I can't believe they're already highschoolers! as i'm sure you're all too aware, they grow up way too fast.

I've had a sponge grow among my zoas before and the zoas ended up overtaking it. however, it looked nothing like what you have, which looks more like a fluffy piece of cotton.

it's too bad you can't take it out somehow, my concern is that if you pick at it underwater, spores or pieces of it may travel to other parts of your tank and take over there as well! it seems as though at this point though, we just need to hope that doesn't happen.

on a different note- you have me considering setting up a small reef tank for my classroom next year. do you find that your kids enjoy it very much? i'm thinking since I teach special education for reading and writing, it might be a good way to get my 8th graders involved in research (reading, technology competence with searches) and writing (if i have them post their questions and thoughts on a forum under my supervision, or keep a tank journal).

Today is their last day of school. I can't believe they're already highschoolers! as i'm sure you're all too aware, they grow up way too fast.

It was a sponge for sure. When I took it out, with tweezers, it ripped apart just like a sponge would. I pray it didnt spread as well but if it did I'll just take it in stride like anything else in our tanks and just work at coming up with a soulution. There are a lot of people on here with alot of knowledge and experiance and I know we will conquer it!

Everyone in my home enjoys sitting by the little reef tank and enjoy it. Even my husband will sit and watch it. The foster children we have had come thru our home love to sit by it and it is very calming to them and makes for good conversation. Even in very small children who love to ask what all the creatures are and help in the feeding of things. I have a three year old that was very neglected and has terrible behavior issues. He can not sit still at all. But if I give him a magnifying glass he will sit by my tank for litterally an hour or more looking at things with that magnifying glass very excited and focused on what is going on inside.

Children do grow up to fast. My oldest biological child is 28 years old!!! Unbelieveable. Our youngest just turned one month old yesterday. Even she loves to lay by the fish tank and look at the fish swimming.

It is amazing how simply one can set up a nano reef tank. If the feedings are kept low and water changes done regularly we both know it can be done without a sump or skimmer. So for a classroom it could easily be done and at not to much exspence. My three year old even knows the names of most of my coral as he asks so many questions. Happy reefing!

The original sponge, I tweezed out of my zoa patch, has not grown back yet and the zoas are recovering quickly.

I was enjoying looking over my tank last night and found this little white sponge growing somewhere else. I would not say I have an epidemic or anything. I looked things over carefully and I see no more anywhere. This one was a little different. The other one had a spout-hole looking thing on it. This one has a little fan looking spout. Will tweeze it our at next water change on Sunday.

post-87944-0-35466200-1433956688_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would share an up date and cool picture.

HarryPotter

If it was a classroom I would reccomend a closed top all in one. Like the nanocube?

Pretty easy to maintain a softy/"nemo" tank. The only additional item you would need is a small heater and/or a skimmer

Mr. Microscope

Just carefully remove it with some tweezers. It will probably fall apart as you remove it, but it's likely not anchored in there very tightly. Remove as much as you can. You'll probably have to take off new growth in a few months as it's very difficult to remove everything, but they don't grow terribly fast.

Just carefully remove it with some tweezers. It will probably fall apart as you remove it, but it's likely not anchored in there very tightly. Remove as much as you can. You'll probably have to take off new growth in a few months as it's very difficult to remove everything, but they don't grow terribly fast.

Will do it at my next water change with a siphon next to it.

Archived