Pod Your Reef

Tale of a wandering Pistol Shrimp, love and separation - added travel video

ETCs_Lady

This is a little long winded, but I thought it was cute and wanted to share. My LFS has never seen anything like this before.

It all started 2 years ago when I started my first tank, a 60 Gal cube. I bought a Yasha Goby and a Red Striped Pistol Shrimp. They hit it off and paired right up.

A few months later.... I find the hole getting smaller and smaller and the Goby isn't coming out very far. After further inspection, we find the Pistol Shrimp in the sump sock! Shrimpy gets put back with Goby and all is well...

for another few months. Seemingly for no reason, Shrimpy moves out and leaves Goby alone. We wait it out and nothing. No reconciliation. No love. Divorce? Maybe?

Shrimpy (bigger and more yellow) obviously likes to be a bachelor! Finally, I break down and buy a new Pistol Shrimp. 3 options: One kills the other, they ignore each other or they fall in love.

Bingo! We got love! Shrimp #2 (smaller and less yellow) moves in with Goby, Shrimpy moves back in also and all 3 of them are sharing a hole!

Now we are up to the move... from 60g to BC29. All goes well. All 3 are sharing a hole...

you guessed it. Last week I am cleaning the filters and Shrimpy is once again in the back of the tank. I gently put him back into his hole, they pair up again. Until tonight...

*sigh* Shrimpy has moved out and is now living under my Live Brain. Divorce? Trial separation? Just a vacation?

post-87432-0-20871500-1428370652_thumb.jpg

post-87432-0-88490000-1428370652_thumb.jpg

post-87432-0-69806800-1428370653_thumb.jpg

reefernanoman

This is a little long winded, but I thought it was cute and wanted to share. My LFS has never seen anything like this before.

It all started 2 years ago when I started my first tank, a 60 Gal cube. I bought a Yasha Goby and a Red Striped Pistol Shrimp. They hit it off and paired right up.

A few months later.... I find the hole getting smaller and smaller and the Goby isn't coming out very far. After further inspection, we find the Pistol Shrimp in the sump sock! Shrimpy gets put back with Goby and all is well...

for another few months. Seemingly for no reason, Shrimpy moves out and leaves Goby alone. We wait it out and nothing. No reconciliation. No love. Divorce? Maybe?

Shrimpy (bigger and more yellow) obviously likes to be a bachelor! Finally, I break down and buy a new Pistol Shrimp. 3 options: One kills the other, they ignore each other or they fall in love.

Bingo! We got love! Shrimp #2 (smaller and less yellow) moves in with Goby, Shrimpy moves back in also and all 3 of them are sharing a hole!

Now we are up to the move... from 60g to BC29. All goes well. All 3 are sharing a hole...

you guessed it. Last week I am cleaning the filters and Shrimpy is once again in the back of the tank. I gently put him back into his hole, they pair up again. Until tonight...

*sigh* Shrimpy has moved out and is now living under my Live Brain. Divorce? Trial separation? Just a vacation?

My two candy pistol shrimp and yellow watchman have been married for about 7 months now. Once in a while, one of the shrimp will wonder into the LR by himself, but he always comes back into the trio ;)

what size pipe is that? My shrimp/yasha rarely come out of their hole.

I tried the pipe... it didn't work. So, I bought a large clam shell! I glued a few rocks to the bottom to keep it elevated. Dug the back end into the sand and left the front open. I placed the back end next to another outcrop of rocks. So, they have more digging if they want. I also placed some broken shells around the perimeter for them to use as a blockade.

They LOVE it! I see them non-stop. Both little shrimp are always digging away and redoing their front door. The Yasha hangs out non-stop since he has atleast 1 shrimp with him.

My two candy pistol shrimp and yellow watchman have been married for about 7 months now. Once in a while, one of the shrimp will wonder into the LR by himself, but he always comes back into the trio ;)

My issue isn't the wandering... it's him building a new home. Whenever he leaves it's for months at a time. He'll build himself a completely new home and act as if the Goby (and now other shrimp) never existed at all!

jamescstein

I may have to try that. The only thing I see on a regular basis is the shrinps antenna and maybe a claw or 2 at feeding time. Maybe I should also stop putting their food right at the entrance..

I may have to try that. The only thing I see on a regular basis is the shrinps antenna and maybe a claw or 2 at feeding time. Maybe I should also stop putting their food right at the entrance..

I never feed directly into the hole. We use the baster to spot feed about 3 inches above AND I do not turn my filters off. I run them. All 3 grab food as it drifts by. My Yasha hovers about 3 inches above the shell. I daily see my shrimp and worry if I don't see them.

Oh, I do the same for my other BC29. I have a Randall's Goby and a Tiger Shrimp. That bad boy puts my Gold Maroon in her place! (Sorry it's blurry, he's quick!)

post-87432-0-67398100-1428541585_thumb.jpg

Shrimpy is back home and I made a stunning discovery! Shrimpy is a Lefty and Shrimp#2 is a Righty!! They were taking turns repairing the door this morning.

post-87432-0-21938300-1428705818_thumb.jpg

post-87432-0-87924400-1428705868_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived