Top Shelf Aquatics

Moldy's IM Fusion 10

moldycheese432

moldycheese432

-Started up my tank two weeks ago. Still going through the cycle and decided to start a thread here.

Ill post some pictures when I get back. Just a little bit on the equipment: the ghost really sucks...its very noisy, and creates a ton of microbubbles...The Jebao WP10 is probably the best value item that I have. It set me back about $50 and works wonderfully.

I am thinking of getting the InTank caddy but am unsure if this will actually be an improvement, and if it is, what filter medias have worked?

Tank

-IM Fusion 10

Light:

-Nanobox mini tide w/ coralux storm

Filtration

-Stock caddy

-IM Ghost Skimmer

Misc:

-Eheim 50 watt skimmer

-Tunze Nano-ATO

-Aquatic life Buddie RO, 50 gpd.

-Jebao WP-10

full tank view

IMG_3868.jpg

some storage. using the red sea container as a reservoir for my ATO

IMG_3869.jpg

WP-10 controler, Coralux storm controller

IMG_3870.jpg

view of the InTank caddy, Ghost, ATO and heater in the far chamber

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

first off, welcome.

the intank is the best one you can buy, and is a definite improvement.

as far as the ghost skimmer goes, it does not have to be on during your cycle. once it does cycle, it will take some time for it to properly break in. a lot of people with them report success with a vinegar bath or two to help with the macro bubble issue.

+1 on inTank Media Basket, its high quality, fits well, is large enough for your media needs and just looks cool as hell. The stock media basket looks like a tiny piece of crud next to the inTank.

:welcome: to the IM 10 club.

You picked an awesome light. I wish I had gone with that instead but found a great deal on a used Kessil 150. Its a bit louder but it works. B)

Get some pictures up in here and people will flock to your build and help you out with any further questions you might have. I'm tagging along to see how it looks. :P

moldycheese432

Have you had any problems with particulates not being removed by the stock mechanical filtration?

yeah it doesn't take anything out. It seems like the stock filtration wasn't the problem, its the flow through the tank in general..heavier stuff doesn't seem to go through the grating. Will the InTank help with this?

alternatively I was thinking of buying a reactor and throwing some carbon/GFO in there. Perhaps something like this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-5-single.html

I suspect that it might provide better filtration than the InTank upgrade but am not sure. what do y'all think?

yeah it doesn't take anything out. It seems like the stock filtration wasn't the problem, its the flow through the tank in general..heavier stuff doesn't seem to go through the grating. Will the InTank help with this?

alternatively I was thinking of buying a reactor and throwing some carbon/GFO in there. Perhaps something like this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-5-single.html

I suspect that it might provide better filtration than the InTank upgrade but am not sure. what do y'all think?

I'm glad that I am not the only one who has been dealing with this issue. I actually ordered two of the inTank media baskets for my fusion 20 and even they didn't help with the problem. What ended up working for me was ordering custom foam filters, cut to the exact dimensions of each overflow chamber. I ended up running foam in one chamber and an inTank media basket in the other. Has worked wonders on cutting down the amount of crap that floats in the water column.

Also, have you had any luck getting the ghost skimmer dialed in so that it doesn't flood the display with crazy micro bubbles?

moldycheese432

I'm glad that I am not the only one who has been dealing with this issue. I actually ordered two of the inTank media baskets for my fusion 20 and even they didn't help with the problem. What ended up working for me was ordering custom foam filters, cut to the exact dimensions of each overflow chamber. I ended up running foam in one chamber and an inTank media basket in the other. Has worked wonders on cutting down the amount of crap that floats in the water column.

Also, have you had any luck getting the ghost skimmer dialed in so that it doesn't flood the display with crazy micro bubbles?

thanks, Ill check it out.

only thing I've managed with the ghost is to drop the water level below the junction of the collection cup and the body. It still produces bubbles however, just fewer

moldycheese432

So tank is cycled, and the nano box reef has come. working perfectly and I am very pleased with it.

I did a water change this pm and noticed that running the water level slightly low improved the function of both my ghost skimmer, and my media basket.

running the water level low created a step between the top of the media basket and the water level in the back compartment. for the media basket this forces water to cascade from the top through the entire filter, and out the bottom which improves flow through the filter. For the skimmer, the step between the bottom of the collection piece and the water level prevented micro bubbles from entering into circulation.

I'll post a picture later on tonight - but I'm interested to see if any other folks have any input on my suggestion.

I like the wave action in there, have you tried bringing the pump up just a little bit higher on the side of your tank to combat the sand in the back left corner from being blown away or are you cool with that?

moldycheese432

got the InTank caddy. Filled with filter floss in top chamber, chemipure elite in middle, and carbon in the bottom.

Im considering throwing some chaeto in one of the chambers but I have to figure out the fuge light...I saw a DIY construction, am now trying to figure out how to build it.

Just saw your thread, looks like a great start! I've got some notes on tuning the desktop skimmer and on my diy fuge light in my build thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived