Cultivated Reef

Jackstone's Nuvo 16 to Fusion 30L Upgrade

Jackstone

Hey Everyone,

I've been meaning to create a thread to document the progress of my tank. I'm about 6 months into the hobby and, unfortunately, I'm only now finally getting around to posting anything.

I always wanted a marine tank. I had a few freshwater aquariums when I was younger but never anything too complicated.

After about a month or two of research last summer, I decided to jump in and I picked up a fully setup IM Nuvo 16 from someone on Craigslist in July. The Nuvo 16 I picked up was the standard fare you've all already seen a million times. It was basically completely stock with the stock media baskets and stock LED lights. Over the course of the next couple months I made several modifications and ended up with the configuration below. I never really got it to where I wanted it to be before deciding to upgrade due to size limitations and the ongoing fear of the infamous corners blowing out.

Equipment:

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo 16

Lighting: Stock LED AI Vega in CNC Reef Enclosure

Skimmer: None

Reactor: IM Desktop with Carbon and GFO

Heater: Some cheap one

Filtration: IM CustomCaddy experimenting with various media

Fuge: InTank Basket with chateomorpha

ATO: JBJ

Pump: Vortech MP10, Stock return pump with one Spin Stream

Controller: ReefKeeper Lite Basic

Feeded: Eheim (only for vacations)

Livestock:

Clownfish

Magenta Dottyback

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Various Snails

Various Emerald Crabs

Blue Leg Hermit Crab

Fromia Star RIP

Green Mandarin RIP

Here is the last pictures I have before taking it down.

IMG_0492_zpsf4c5e62f.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsdfffa04e.jpg

The change from the stock LED to the Vega was definitely the biggest change. I bought the Vega used but I hated the astetics and couldn't really hang the light in the room the tank is in. The CNC Reef enclosure really cleaned up the light and I really like the gooseneck but there were some challenges finally getting it all together.

After a few months, I started thinking about upgrading. I got a quote from Pico Aquariums but ended up with the IM Fusion 30L since the price was considerably lower during Black Friday. I really liked the long tank and wished I had bought the 30L instread of the 16 originally.

I purchased the new Fusion 30L from Premium Aquatics along with new sand (Tropic Eden Miniflakes). I also purchased a different stand to support the heavier tank as well as a new heater (Cobalt Neotherm 100W). Everything else was transferred over after letting the new tank simmer for a week with just water and sand. After the transfer, it never had any kind of ammonia or nitrite spike. I guess the live rock had enough filtration in it. I did add some additional dry rock I cured but it was a simple transfer.

1/9/2015:

IMG_0531_zpsb02c78bd.jpg

I've made a few additions since moving to the new tank so I'll keep updating this thread. I just need to figure out how to take better photos.

And yes, the coverage from the one Vega is not very good on the ends of this new tank. I did order a new Nanobox Quad though so I can't wait to check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the Nanobox Quad so I don't have any new pics yet. I did pickup some new coral from an AquaSD sale. Unfortunately they put too many heat packs in and they cooked during shipping. They sent out a new package and everything survived this time.

Here are their pics of the pieces I ordered. Of course, it's not the exact piece in the picture as those are gone. The SPS also look really brown now and I think it's going to take some time to color up. I don't even recognize them anymore, they're just brown sticks (but alive). Is that normal?

ASD Hyper Valida

HyperValida-RETAILPRICE-50-SALEPRICE-25_

ASD Carolina Reaper

ASDCarolinaReaper-RETAILPRICE-30-SALEPRI

Ice Tea Eyes Blasto

IceTeaEyesBlasto-RETAILPRICE-20-SALEPRIC

ASD Aussie Northstar Digi

b899ASDAussieNorthstarDigi-RETAILPRICE-2

Archived