Coral Vue Hydros

Newtybar's Fusion 30L - The Resurrection

Newtybar

It's aliiiive!

Following the disaster resulting in the destruction of my Nuvo 24 (documented here), Innovative Marine gave me a Fusion 30L as compensation. To be honest, I'm not sure this alone is enough for the damages and time caused, but at least I got a new tank up and running fast enough to save my livestock.

I really liked the clean and different look of the Nuvo 24 in white, but this one does have it's advantages. The low iron glass is extremely clear and the silicone joints seem beefy. I also like that my rocks are farther away from the glass, making it easier to clean.

With exception of the Purple Rain Bubble Tip Anemone (got burned by the heater during storage), I've managed to save most of the live stock with what seems like minimal damage. After being in a target storage container for 3 days, I was eager to get the livestock into a real tank. It took me a lot longer than I thought to transfer the rock, sand, coral and fish into the new tank. I also almost literally lost the Bam Bam's, but found them sitting barely exposed in the sand this morning...

I hope there's no significant cycle. I saved the old filter media, used the old rock/sand and about a third of the water is from the original tank.

FTS 01.01.2015

gallery_86188_2_262702.jpg

CURRENT LIVESTOCK

Fish / Inverts

• Percula Clownfish
  • Blue Hippo Tang*
  • Fire Shrimp
  • Purple Rain BT Anemone
  • CUC

Coral

• Torch
  • Zoas - Bam Bam, Rasta, Pink Zipper
  • Some Kind of Purple Palys

Equipment

• Current USA Orbit Marine LED 36"
  • Green Machine UV Sterilizer
  • Refugium - Chaeto in rear chamber with JBJ Nano Glo LED light.

*Tang was bought because wife thought nemo needed Dory. I realize this is not ideal, but hey, you have to pick and choose your battles. I will give it away once it gets too big.

Glad to see another 30L setup! Looks great :)

Also, plan on building a rear camber cover like u did on the nuvo 24? If so, I be down for one as well...

Looking good! I see were running the same lights! Are you using the IM top screen? Can you post a pic of how your orbit is sitting on the top of the tank? It looks really low, like almost inside the tank? I use the IM top and use the metal brackets on the orbit. Hope you enjoy your tank!

paradizecityz

Awesome! I saw your old thread recently and was going to follow to see how the Tang goes...I really want a Tang in mine and wanted to do what you are doing but my gf is opposite and didn't want to take it out afterwards lol

glad they got you a new unit in short order! Hope this one holds up better. Man, those IM tanks really look good but the durability scares the crap out of me.

Looking good! I see were running the same lights! Are you using the IM top screen? Can you post a pic of how your orbit is sitting on the top of the tank? It looks really low, like almost inside the tank? I use the IM top and use the metal brackets on the orbit. Hope you enjoy your tank!

Sure, I'll post a photo on Sunday. I actually do the same. It might just be the angle of my photo.

how you like the marine orbitz light?

I like it because it is low profile. It's supposedly decent for a shallow tank and all my coral open up nicely. What I really like is the control panel and adjustability (I can adjust the whites and blues to any level I want). I like that I can set up time schedules for morning, daylight and evening. I can also do an occasional storm haha.

I don't know how good it will be for coral growth because my tank is relatively new, but will keep you updated.

Sad news...the first casualty occurred this am. The cowfish must have gotten stressed through all of this. He stopped eating two days ago and didn't eat when I transferred him into a smaller quarantine tank yesterday. This morning he was dark with a bunch of hexagon shapes and not moving.

Hey Island, here's the pic as promised.

gallery_86188_3_220889.jpg

Glad to see another 30L setup! Looks great :)

Also, plan on building a rear camber cover like u did on the nuvo 24? If so, I be down for one as well...

Hey, I didn't forget about this. I do plan to eventually get a rear chamber cover. I actually had a white piece of acrylic laying around for the Nuvo 24 and my worksmanship was not the greatest haha. In this one, I'll actually have to order the black acrylic and am debating on making it myself or having it made.

Maybe if there was enough interest we can get a group buy going on?

Hey Island, here's the pic as promised.

gallery_86188_3_220889.jpg

Thanks man! Your tank is looking great. I also was thinking about doing the refugium in one of the rear chambers, but I just thought that little box of algae wouldn't be enough to impact the algae in the main display. I do like the set up though. Are you running the refugium on a reverse lighting schedule with your main display?

Thanks man! Your tank is looking great. I also was thinking about doing the refugium in one of the rear chambers, but I just thought that little box of algae wouldn't be enough to impact the algae in the main display. I do like the set up though. Are you running the refugium on a reverse lighting schedule with your main display?

If u do decided to get one I have a Almost Brand New JBJ Nano light fs...

Hey, I didn't forget about this. I do plan to eventually get a rear chamber cover. I actually had a white piece of acrylic laying around for the Nuvo 24 and my worksmanship was not the greatest haha. In this one, I'll actually have to order the black acrylic and am debating on making it myself or having it made.

I would be down for 1 :D

paradizecityz

If u do decided to get one I have a Almost Brand New JBJ Nano light fs...

I would be down for 1 :D

I would be down as well....

also, how much do you want for the jbj nano tank?

I am also interested in being a part of this. Your previous build is what made me want to attempt to build a cover on the rear chamber of my 30L but I don't have any black acrylic local. Let me know

I am also interested in being a part of this. Your previous build is what made me want to attempt to build a cover on the rear chamber of my 30L but I don't have any black acrylic local. Let me know

Well, we have 4 people so far :)

My only question is that if you have a skimmer, ATO mount with tubing, heater, and misc. electrical cords...How do you make a back chamber cover to fit over all of that without making it look ghetto, and ugly looking? One of the main reasons I went with the 30L was because of how clean and streamline it looks...

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for the last couple of days.

The cover I built for the Nuvo 24 had an exposed back, so all of the chords went out of that. It also rose 1/2 inches higher so that it could accommodate the ghost skimmer, heater, etc.

What I won't think will work is the skimmers that rise out higher or the media reactors.

For reference, this is what my old one looked like. The new one would look better since we are going to have it professionally done (not my shoddy work)

med_gallery_86188_7_551930.png

My only question is that if you have a skimmer, ATO mount with tubing, heater, and misc. electrical cords...How do you make a back chamber cover to fit over all of that without making it look ghetto, and ugly looking? One of the main reasons I went with the 30L was because of how clean and streamline it looks...

You give it an exposed back for wires exiting the tank and you raise it a few inches above the height of the tank walls. This streamline look will only work with 30L tanks housing equipment that doesn't dramatically stand taller than the tank's top.

Edit: yup, what newty said lol

Archived