inTank Media Baskets

Hermit vs. Acan (Crazy Pics)

jservedio

This is for everyone who has ever complained that their "nasty hermits" have killed or hurt a healthy LPS coral... here is what happens when a hermit (and a very large, 3 year old one at that) tries to take a bite out of a very healthy Acan Bowerbankii. Your corals, especially LPS, are not as defenseless as you might think:

hermit_feast_front.jpg

hermit_feast_side.jpg

Hermit Crab 0, Acan 1

For reference, that acan is only a little larger than a man's fist. If your LPS is healthy, it'll devour the crab and spit out the shell that used to be it's hat.

a different snap sometimes is tasty for them :)

amazing moment

What got me most is this was a live hermit struggling to free itself and the coral overpowered it. This was a big sucker too - the cerith shell poking out the acans mouth wasn't just an extra shell I threw in there, but is the remains of my last cerith that was flipped and eaten by my biggest hermit about 8 months ago.

When I target feed, my hermits will normally pluck the big pieces of mysis from the mouths of my acans. As soon as the baster goes in the tank and the smell of food hits the water, they pop alive and run over to my acan garden. This crab was on a ledge above the bowerbankii and plopped off the shelf to get down to the garden to grab a snack. It landed directly ontop of the bowerbankii before I fed it and it grabbed ahold of the crab and quickly wrapped around it. It only took about 3 or 4 seconds for the coral to wrap it up and I could see the crab struggling for a good 15 or 20 minutes. The next morning this was all that was poking out.

Those shots are about 18 hours after the incident - but the actual struggle was insane - I've never seen anything like it.

Wow that is impressive!! I hate hermits a little bit, so good to know some corals can defend against them. This is a very blurry pic of when my acanthophyllia got hold of one of my nassarius.. I miss that little guy. I keep his undigested shell as a warning to all other nassarius who want to approach a hungry coral ;)

post-86000-0-10627000-1418859780_thumb.jpg

Archived