Pod Your Reef

The Wife's Baby (not an actual baby)

NoChikenStrips

NoChikenStrips

Guys, it has been a while. The 40 breeder has been taken down a while ago when I decided to go back to school. Things come and go, but i'm glad I got involved in this hobby and now I can share it with the love of my life. Anyways, here is her tank.

A typical 15 gallon 24x12x12 with the rim top rim removed.

15gtankdrawing_zpsfeab3109.jpg

Simple copper piping/PVC Par38

20140913_204742_zps40df94a4.jpg

Almost 6 inches of sand
20141022_205131_zpsf72cce8d.jpg

20140913_204845_zps46e35fa3.jpg

Much smaller than my previous 40 breeder, but it's rather cute.

20140913_204605_zps61a55ec5.jpg

Overall, a budget build for $150~ish

Par38

Basic 15 gallon tank
Maxijet-900

Scrap acrylic

JB weld

• 2 months later...
NoChikenStrips

8 inches of sand? The sand takes up half the tank!

Im a derp, it's a typo...It's almost 6 inches. Yeah 8 inches would be silly, especially when the tank is only 12 inches high :lol:

NoChikenStrips

Some still shoots.

Some of these polyps, softies, and sps originate from my old 14 biocube back in 2009, and my 40 breeder back in 2010-2012. Though not all of them are the same exact pieces, they are frags of frags, of my frags. They have just been passed around my community and among my friends' tanks. It's so awesome to have these frags once again.

Front shot. Im really happy with this single par38 setup.

DSC_0376_zps3a0d05a6.jpg

DSC_0382_zpsfb29b3e0.jpg

DSC_0386_zps96593019.jpg

DSC_0390_zps09f6e260.jpg

The refugium is full of life, some good, some bad, like the cyano and hair algae. But they have not spread to the main display yet.

Red sponge. Im not sure what it is though...

DSC_0378_zps0ae1afb7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
NoChikenStrips

Finally had time to glue stuff down and frag. Pics are taken with a camera phone and colors are off. It's less violet and more shimmery white.

DSC_0022_zpscfvhg9rs.jpg

DSC_0023_zpssivh0z0w.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsw1djbvmt.jpg

DSC_0025_zpssz3qgokp.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsnrcuwcc9.jpg

DSC_0028_zps7mw5lrz1.jpg

Very cool, nice acans. Is there a bulkhead I'm not seeing? How is the water returning back to the display?

Edit,

I see it now after looking at your blueprints.

NoChikenStrips
Nice tank.

Thanks

Very cool, nice acans. Is there a bulkhead I'm not seeing? How is the water returning back to the display?

Edit,

I see it now after looking at your blueprints.

My return pump chamber is on the right if looking from the profile (side view) of my drawing. A maxijet 900 fits tightly as i want maximum refugium space. It's a pain in the butt trying to take the pump out to clean....

Also if anyone can help me, my baffles are getting loose as the epoxy that holds it is falling apart/disintegrating. I realized now why people use glass baffles instead of acrylic. Gluing acrylic to glass with the typical 2-ton epoxy will not work. I dont have an easy quick solution to fix it, besides tearing the tank down and re-doing the baffles with fiberglass resin or using glass baffles with silicon. I was thinking maybe bracing the baffles with various acrylic rods in a way that does not require bolding or gluing of anything.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
NoChikenStrips

It's been a month since the last video update. I've been feeding really heavy and the refugium is probably at its limit. It's a pod army back there. I'm not sure if the pods are making it to the display side because that's where my mandarin is. I rinse the cheato in the display to get more pods to the display side every week. Also there are tons of flat worms in the refugium but I don't see any in the display, so I'm assuming the manderin is also eating the flatworms.

Some new additions are: 2 false Perculas(black and orange), and a purple tip frogspawn.

Algae: I really need to up my clean up crew. With only 4 Astrea snails, it's just not enough. I'm thinking of getting abunch of zebra hermits if the algae does get out of control. If anyone has experience with zebra hermits, let me know if theyre worth having. But right now, I am seeing small patches of hair algae and byropsis. The hair algae is OK, but I'm scared of the byropsis. Back in 2010, we were unaware of what byropsis was. It started in my tank, then spread to my buddy's tanks, then our community of the guys I swap with on craiglist. Anyways tech-M and manual removal works, but we ended up using so many bottles of techM before any byropsis started dying. And we were sloppy and careless, as we didn't measure/tested the water for magnesium levels.

I recently incorporated an uplfow algae scrubber and I'm hoping it'll drop the nutrient even more so I can feed even more. So far nitrates and phosphate are zero from salifert test kits.

Anyways here is the short video update.

• 4 months later...
NoChikenStrips

9 month update. It got really crowded in there so we took a lot of corals out. We set up a 40 breeder frag tank. Here's the little guy...

Archived