SaltCritters.com

(Thread Update) Sicce 1.0 or 1.5?

jgaepi

I originally posted this thread yesterday but it got no love. So maybe I need to re-write it.

For my sump, I need a media reactor of some sort, I need a skimmer of some sort, I need to continue using my Chiller, and I need a return pump. And maybe I am even forgetting something (i.e. the UV sterilizer I bought and can't return and may not use). At the least that adds up to 4 pumps in a 15g cube sump.

Is there a way to daisy chain any of the items together? Maybe chiller and media reactor? Chiller requires about 150gph and reactor I assume is far less.

Just seems like a lot of churning water.

I have everything hooked to my return pump except the skimmer. I just bought an overpowered return pump and T'd off everything adding ball valves where needed. I don't see any reason you can't do the same.

7367133274_786aa3938b_o.jpg

I originally posted this thread yesterday but it got no love. So maybe I need to re-write it.

For my sump, I need a media reactor of some sort, I need a skimmer of some sort, I need to continue using my Chiller, and I need a return pump. And maybe I am even forgetting something (i.e. the UV sterilizer I bought and can't return and may not use). At the least that adds up to 4 pumps in a 15g cube sump.

Is there a way to daisy chain any of the items together? Maybe chiller and media reactor? Chiller requires about 150gph and reactor I assume is far less.

Just seems like a lot of churning water.

I have everything hooked to my return pump except the skimmer. I just bought an overpowered return pump and T'd off everything adding ball valves where needed. I don't see any reason you can't do the same.

7367133274_786aa3938b_o.jpg

Great picture. I will try to do something similar. What equip do u have hooked up to it. How did u compute input gph to determine pump size?

Cause a Mag pump will allow me to adjust gph? I have only used Sicce, Cobalt and Eheim pumps to date.

It is hard to work out the gph due to head pressure and how wany bends ect. Get a mag pump and use the design above

Cause a Mag pump will allow me to adjust gph? I have only used Sicce, Cobalt and Eheim pumps to date.

I have a tunze return on my old tank and it was adjustable

Tamberav, BTW, where did you buy your plumbing parts from?

That's not my image... just an example... mine is dirty and gross looking haha. I got my parts from BRS and menards though.

I use an eheim pump... I never had to determine exact gph I just set it up visually for what the media reccomends.... gfo = lightly tumble, carbon = blast it, biopellets = all moving.

I have those 3 hooked up and I used to have it running to a second tank as well. Mine was a eheim 1262 but you probably don't need one that strong depending what all you plan to run off it.

I had a mag pump but it was way too loud... fairly weak compared to eheim too.

I updated my thread topic again to stay current. I have narrowed my pump option down to a Sicce 1.0 or 1.5. This would be to split the stream to both a JBJ 1/15hp chiller and a Resinator media cartridge. The Sicce 1.0 is rated at 260 gph and 1.5 at about 375 gph. The chiller requires about 150 gph and the Resinator probably needs low gph but recommended using a Maxijet 600 at about 220gph. Regardless, there will be about an 18" rise before the split.

Would you recommend the 1.0 or the 1.5 for my needs?

I'd go for the 2.0 or the 3.0, its better to to much flow than not enough. Beside you can always turn it down some.

I already have a 2.0 coming with my custom. I debated a 3.0 for that. I am mostly worried about the size of these pumps in my sump. How much gph pressure is lost with 18inch vertically by the way?

Jackal_Knight

I know there is a head loss calculater some when in the interweb. I have a tunze silence 1073.020 but which is rated for 635 gph and looks exactly like the sicce pump and its very small. I have 10 gallon sump its does not take up a whole lot of room.

NorthGaHillbilly

I've been using a sicce 1.5 as my return and I've been really happy with it, I just got a 3.0 for my new tank as a return and to run a reactor.

The 3.0 really isn't much larger than the 1.5, but it pushes some SERIOUS gph and is very quiet.

At 18" your not loosing much at all, you'll loose a lot more from fittings and bends than you will from that 18"

I've been using a sicce 1.5 as my return and I've been really happy with it, I just got a 3.0 for my new tank as a return and to run a reactor.

The 3.0 really isn't much larger than the 1.5, but it pushes some SERIOUS gph and is very quiet.

At 18" your not loosing much at all, you'll loose a lot more from fittings and bends than you will from that 18"

What are the specs on your new tank? For my needs, which sicce would you recommend for me?

NorthGaHillbilly

Personally I would go with the 3.0, it might be more than you need, but with everything your running off it I expect you'll appreciate the extra oomph, and you can always adjust the flow down on the pump.

I couldn't be happier with my sicce, and now the second. Quiet, strong and reliable. I turn my return off at least every other day, and I've yet to have it chatter or hesitate to start back up.

My bad, new tank is a 3' long 34 gallon, 3/4" return running one reactor with 4 ish feet of head pressure. There are pics in the 34 gallon thread in sig

Personally I would go with the 3.0.

So I went through that debate w my incoming display tank (30x18x12). PicO was giving me a 3.0 but Ralph from Sicce recommended a 2.0. Then for this particular need he suggested a 0.5. So who knows.

NorthGaHillbilly

So I went through that debate w my incoming display tank (30x18x12). PicO was giving me a 3.0 but Ralph from Sicce recommended a 2.0. Then for this particular need he suggested a 0.5. So who knows.

If you need 150 for the chiller, 150ish for a reactor, at least 300 for the return... I think the 3.0 is your way to go. A 2.0 would get it done too, just depends on how much you want flowing through the sump.

If you need 150 for the chiller, 150ish for a reactor, at least 300 for the return... I think the 3.0 is your way to go. A 2.0 would get it done too, just depends on how much you want flowing through the sump.

Oh, I was planning two pumps. You recommend a single?

NorthGaHillbilly

Oh, I was planning two pumps. You recommend a single?

Ahh, my bad. Totally missunderstood, now the 18" part clicks. In that case the 1.5 would work for reactors and chiller, but yea, you could use one for all three purposes

Ahh, my bad. Totally missunderstood, now the 18" part clicks. In that case the 1.5 would work for reactors and chiller, but yea, you could use one for all three purposes

To throw a wrench in there, I might want to tri split it to include a sterilizer. So maybe I should get a 2.0.

NorthGaHillbilly

To throw a wrench in there, I might want to tri split it to include a sterilizer. So maybe I should get a 2.0.

Since you can reduce the flow on the sicce itself, id go stronger and have extra if you decide you need it. The 2.0 would give you plenty of headroom.

Since you can reduce the flow on the sicce itself, id go stronger and have extra if you decide you need it. The 2.0 would give you plenty of headroom.

Cool beans. Thanks.

Archived