Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ye Olde Times and Solana 34g Cube AIO Build

Deleted User 8

Deleted User 8

So, I am getting back to reefing after an almost 18 year hiatus! Recently I got lost on the internet and ended up here. So of course I have been thinking and dreaming about nothing but getting a reef goiing again. So much so that I impulse bought a Solana 34g tank only cube. I had a nice 55g reef that crashed during a bad ice storm (if you lived in Seattle in 1996 you will remember) and it took my heart right out of it. Don't ask for pics as they were all taken with slide film I developed myself (kids, we used to have to actualy use stuff called 'film' to take pictures with. It required chemicals, heaters, dark rooms...all very mysterious.)

I was even a forum admin on the old Compuserve's Fishnet forum back in the day (anyone remember that!). So much has changed! Reefers today are spoiled!

Anyway, I have a Solana 34g cube that is 20x20x20. My original plan was to sump it out (it is just the tank, not the orginal AIO version), but now I think I am going to build a false wall AIO. I want the tank to be as close to the wall as possible, with just enough room to clean behind it. The stand is going to be a 20X20 bathroom vanity stand with a 24X24 marble top (still have to find this) with top flush to the wall leaving 2" between tank and wall. Lights will be LED, most likely Nono Box Duo. I will have an ATO that will top off with Kalkwasser. I want to keep Softies, LPS and maybe clam.

So here is what I am thinking: 1/4" black acrylic false wall that will run coast to coast 0.875" below the tank rim weir style (no teeth) 5-6" from tank back. Sicce 2.0 pump (I already have) 3/4" Sch 40 PVC out to two 1/2" Locline bulkheads top and bottom on same side. I had thought of running chambers, but I am leaning toward a chamberless flase wall. Heater, pump and skimmer will be behind the wall. ATO container will be in bottom of stand.

Oh, I now have a 10KW generator, so no more power outage disasters!

Here are some specific questions I have (in no specific order):

1. Wall backer? What would be good to do with the wall behind the tank to make for easier cleaning/wipe down? Oil based paint? Some sort of backer board? It is orange peel dryall now.

2. Tolerance for acrylic false wall? How tight should the false wall fit be taking in to consideration expansion due to water absorbtion? I have cast acry.

3. Storm controller upgrade? Should I spend the extra $50 for the Nano Box Duo controller upgrade?

4. What skimmer would be a good choice for this? Has to be quiet and I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible (naturally). That is one thing in favor of bulkheads--I could lower the water level in a chamber and mount the skimmer lower below the tank rim. I could live with seeing a cup above the tank rim though (I will paint it 3/4 of the way around so I am not looking at poopy gunk all the time)

5. The water level in the DT would not vary with a chamberless false wall, correct? In other words, the entire space behind the false wall would lower with evap.

6. Good ATO? I had a DIY pressurized system with a float that activated an air pump that pressurized a water container that pushed Kalk up to drip into the tank through IV tubing. I would like something simialr without an air pump. Suggestions?

7. Was thinking about getting a VorTech MP10 powerhead, but would it be absolutely necessary with the flow I will have from the Sicce 2.0? Would the MP10 add too much flow?

8. What am I missing?

Thanks all,

Buzz

You might want to consider a media rack and the space it will take up before building a false wall.

I know the nanobox light is great, myself I don't know if I would use the storm controller but that is separate so someone could always get it for you as a gift if they needed and idea.

The display tank should stay the same level if the false wall is built right without any leaks.

Check out the tunze 9001 I got one for my tank and it worked great the only thing is my tank was to big for it so I gave it to my reefing buddy.

ATOs it depends on who you talk to but tunze and jbj both have small ones that would fit in the back chamber. I had a jbj and didn't like it I have a tunze nano and not sure how well I like it I had to disconnect it from my reefkeeper lite everytime I put it on standby so I could do a water change I had to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. The jbj didn't seem to work right right out of the box for me.

The mp10 I am not familiar with I have a jebao wp 10 I find I can dial the flow way down if I want to.

Welcome back to reefing!

3. Storm controller upgrade? Should I spend the extra $50 for the Nano Box Duo controller upgrade?

Worth it if you want to be able to program more than on/off.

4. What skimmer would be a good choice for this? Has to be quiet and I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible (naturally). That is one thing in favor of bulkheads--I could lower the water level in a chamber and mount the skimmer lower below the tank rim. I could live with seeing a cup above the tank rim though (I will paint it 3/4 of the way around so I am not looking at poopy gunk all the time)

Skimmers are tough for sump less tanks IMO. Don't get something cheap. I have seen a lot of people using the aquamax hang on back skimmer and have heard good things about the Tunze 9004

5. The water level in the DT would not vary with a chamberless false wall, correct? In other words, the entire space behind the false wall would lower with evap.

Yup. The back will drain first because the pump is keeping the display tank with a constant about of water.

6. Good ATO? I had a DIY pressurized system with a float that activated an air pump that pressurized a water container that pushed Kalk up to drip into the tank through IV tubing. I would like something simialr without an air pump. Suggestions?

I use a Tunze Osmolator and I love it. It is expensive but worth it. I have also heard good things about the auto aqua ATO, but I have not used it personally.

7. Was thinking about getting a VorTech MP10 powerhead, but would it be absolutely necessary with the flow I will have from the Sicce 2.0? Would the MP10 add too much flow?

An mp10 would be OK if you want to give your corals some added flow. I would think in a Solana you would want to get a little more flow going then the return would provide even if you were only doing soft corals. You might want to look at the videos and reviews for the jebao pumps. They are really nice at a good price. If you don't care about the low profile of the mp10, check out the Jebao pumps.

8. What am I missing?

Thanks all,

Buzz

• 2 months later...
Deleted User 8

Thought I would update this thread since the tank got wet on 30 Nov.

Lets see here...this is what I have for equipment:

Solana 34g cube DIY AIO

Sicce 2.0 return

Two Jebao RW-4

150 watt Ehiem heater with Ranco controller

Tunze 9004 not yet installed. May not use.

Aqua Lifer top off pump with DIY float switches and relay

Titanium ground probe

Nano Box Duo LED with Bluefish controller

Reef Cleaners Dry rock

Here are some pics. Some are a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo12-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Buzz, I though I'd tag along with this thread because it looks really interesting. The aqua scape looks great, am I right by saying that you're using ocean rock? I can't even imagine the pain of not having a tank for 18 years...

Archived