Innovative Marine Aquariums

What ATO to get?

Halo_003

JBJ has an auto shutoff after 2 min (adjustable to 1 min) if the float switch doesn't trip (there are 2 switches). Your ATO reservoir should never be large enough to either cause a flood or cause a significant drop in salinity if it were to malfunction and pump it all in. I used one for years and am lookin to get my hands on another.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the AutoAqua Smart ATO since it came out and so far it has been great but you have to understand that it does have its quirks:

-It plays ice cream truck music when something has gone wrong.

-The sensor needs to be cleaned weekly or bi-weekly to be sure it will work without any problems.

-The most annoying part is the water level recalibration. So if you want less water in system then you have to shut it down and leave it evap before plugging it back in. Regardless of what anyone may tell you moving the sensor bellow the water line will not always work.

Pros:

-It's small.

-It's fairly quiet.

-Can be used in almost any tank.

-Once you learn the quirks (or read what I wrote above) it's basically as reliable as anything in this hobby gets.

-Customer service was good when I had a question.

While it may not be the cheapest option out there, I would say it's still the best.

Want to add another option for you all to consider. I have been using the Avast marine ATO with their diaphragm pump for about 5 months or so and love it. The only drawback at all that I have is it does require some room above the waterline as it is a pressure based sensor. Therefore, if it is going in an AIO and the water level in the pump chamber is fairly high, it may stick out the top. Here is a picture for reference:

https://flic.kr/p/oDyKyA'>14864949374_3c48f449af_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oDyKyA'>20140808_170127 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

The sensor is the tube that you see sticking out of the back right chamber. If you are looking for an ATO for a sump or an AIO that you can keep the water level lower or if you don't mind seeing it, then this would be the absolute best option IMO.

I did a lot of research when choosing my ATO. The fact that it is a pressure based sensor does make it extremely reliable. It is quite sensitive, refilling the tank when the water drops about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Also, there is no problems when it comes to water changes and resetting like some have stated with the Smart ATOs. It also does not need to be reset after power outages. You can add a fail safe float switch, if you have room for it, but honestly I did not even feel the need due to its reliability. They have a lot of options for connectivity if you want to integrate it with your controller. Basically, for the money, it is by far the best option out there and I would urge everyone to consider it when shopping for an ATO. For some reason, they just do not seem to be as well known as the rest. My guess is this is because they are not sold by any of the major distributors.

As for the diaphragm pump, it works flawlessly, much better than an aqualifter. I feel that it is the best option for an ATO pump, regardless if you are using the Avast Marine ATO or not.

One more thing, I found this power strip to be quite useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch-Energy-Saving-Protector/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410439123&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+remote+controlled+power+strip

It has a remote control that turns off/on 6 of the outlets. Therefore, when doing maintenance, I can kill power to my return pump, powerhead, ATO, and heater with the flick of 1 switch. For under $30, that was my best compromise until I can afford a controller.

Just my $0.02.

I ended up ordering the JBJ ATO yesterday. I found that you can setup the second float as a failsafe switch. Between that and the built in timer, I felt that it gives sufficient redundancy, especially for the price. The Avast with the backup switch and full size Osmolator looked good too, just more expensive. I ordered the Aqua Lifter to go with it since it can run dry without harm and is very slow (good enough for small tank and slow enough for dossing kalk, I think).

I use an ATO from autotopoff.com... it works, it's cheap, never had a failure.. put it on a timer to run a couple times a day and pair it with a tom aqua lifter and you're all set..

JBJ has an auto shutoff after 2 min (adjustable to 1 min) if the float switch doesn't trip (there are 2 switches). Your ATO reservoir should never be large enough to either cause a flood or cause a significant drop in salinity if it were to malfunction and pump it all in. I used one for years and am lookin to get my hands on another.

My Tunze also has the 2 minute auto shut off as well, and your right it never overflowed my tank but it does fill up a 8 gallon tank enough to change my salinity from 1.025 where i keep it to1.022 .

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch-Energy-Saving-Protector/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410439123&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+remote+controlled+power+strip

It has a remote control that turns off/on 6 of the outlets. Therefore, when doing maintenance, I can kill power to my return pump, powerhead, ATO, and heater with the flick of 1 switch. For under $30, that was my best compromise until I can afford a controller.

Just my $0.02.

That's awesome! Saving this for future reference...

Want to add another option for you all to consider. I have been using the Avast marine ATO with their diaphragm pump for about 5 months or so and love it. The only drawback at all that I have is it does require some room above the waterline as it is a pressure based sensor. Therefore, if it is going in an AIO and the water level in the pump chamber is fairly high, it may stick out the top. Here is a picture for reference:

14864949374_3c48f449af_b.jpg20140808_170127 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The sensor is the tube that you see sticking out of the back right chamber. If you are looking for an ATO for a sump or an AIO that you can keep the water level lower or if you don't mind seeing it, then this would be the absolute best option IMO.

I did a lot of research when choosing my ATO. The fact that it is a pressure based sensor does make it extremely reliable. It is quite sensitive, refilling the tank when the water drops about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Also, there is no problems when it comes to water changes and resetting like some have stated with the Smart ATOs. It also does not need to be reset after power outages. You can add a fail safe float switch, if you have room for it, but honestly I did not even feel the need due to its reliability. They have a lot of options for connectivity if you want to integrate it with your controller. Basically, for the money, it is by far the best option out there and I would urge everyone to consider it when shopping for an ATO. For some reason, they just do not seem to be as well known as the rest. My guess is this is because they are not sold by any of the major distributors.

As for the diaphragm pump, it works flawlessly, much better than an aqualifter. I feel that it is the best option for an ATO pump, regardless if you are using the Avast Marine ATO or not.

Just my $0.02.

Very interesting, will have to check it out...good looking Nuvo 8. Nice rock flower anemone, i almost lost mine with the Tunze, but it just ended up spliting on me.

I haven't looked back since I got my 3155. Pretty much fool proof, and IF something went wrong with it, Roger from Tunze USA is really fast to fix any issues with Tunze products as well.

Up here in Canada the service for Tunze stinks, no help what so ever so that is why i'm unsure of the Tunze. The price is right, its easy to set up and like I said with it running my IM Micro 30 its been perfect......my have to try one again and return it if it doesnt work but some great suggestions so far.

Very interesting, will have to check it out...good looking Nuvo 8. Nice rock flower anemone, i almost lost mine with the Tunze, but it just ended up spliting on me.

Thanks, although I do not own a rock flower....maybe your referring to my Yuma?

That pressure one is really cool.

I'm thinking I may go with the AutoAqua Smart ATO. Any comments before I do? Think I'll order it in a couple weeks. Does it come with a pump like the Tunze though?

Do it! it's one of the best ATOs out there IMO, I have it in a 15G without a sump, very small and very reliable.

And yes, it comes with everything you need, just plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EVD944A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409507409&sr=8-1

$64 and no shipping.

Awesome ATO.

Has low reservoir water alarm (if pump runs for more than 10 minutes).

Has high water alarm

Has wave proof hysteresis.

You actually need a small slow pump, I have mine on an MJ400 and it needs a ball valve inline. I would like a small Sicce pump though.

Now that I think about it, I could use a pump that fits through the throat of a 5 gallon drinking water jug. Any suggestions?

How big is your tank? I have a 20L that I top off using an Aqualifter and it's working well a good 30" below the tank water level. All you would have to do is run an airline tube into the 5 gallon jug.

BattleAthletics

I've had my avast marine ato with float switch as a redundant connected to my apex and it works perfectly, if I'm home and forget to fill my ato container I can see off my ato is on and can shut it off using apex fusion.

Hurray for run on sentences!

Whats the diameter of that Tunze blue and white pump?

Will that fit in through the 5 gallon jug?

The opening of my 5 gallon water jug is 5cm or just a hair over 2" and the pump just slides in with the cable & hose.

I've heard good reviews on the hydor ATO

I do have an old crappy pump, prob only is about 100gph and has a head of about 2' so i many try the Hydor & if that doesn't work i will either try another Tunze or something else that is inexpensive as this is only for my Nuvo 8.

Some questions about the Hydor:

when doing a wc, and turning the unit off do you have to recalibrate this each time? If so, how is this done?

Is this a simple procedure or a pita to do each week?

Is their settings for run time or is it only when the sensor goes off. Im a bit worried that it might fill up too much each time?

Thank you drfu.

No calibration at all. Just make sure you refill back up to the bottom(low water sensing) prong.

The pump turns off when water just covers the middle prong (normal level sensing).

If you have a fast pump, it can run right past the wave hysteresis. The sensor is designed to also go into a display area, so it needs that for waves in display. If that happens, it will stop the pump, because the high water, top prong, is now sensing water. It will beep until you fix this, only have to do once when youre learning.

You need a slow pump, I use an mj400, the cheap $14 one, and a cheap $3 TLF 1/2 ball valve off my TLF 150 reactor, to slow it down.

It will also beep, if your reservoir runs dry, turns off pump after 10 minutes. I just reset the on off button. You xan also just top off to bottom prong manually to reset it.

Really a lot if words for what it simply does automatically. I would pay double for it, I like it that much. Its in my top 5 of Awesome cheap reefing tools.

The one on Amazon has gone up in price. Premium Aquatics has an Ebay store, its like $65 with free shipping.

Yep, that is what i have in my 5 gallon. Be carful though because water cooler jugs are less than 2" wide and it could be tight!

I'm a little late to the party and I have a pair of Tunze 3155s, one for each tank for a few years. Although expensive, they are well worth it. The optical sensor has never failed on either tank/ The optical sensor is smaller, but it sticks up just a little higher than the backup float switch. The magnets are big and they take up a lot of room in an AIO, but they work just so well.

You can read the manual but here are some key points...

• Optical sensor
  • Backup float switch
  • Timeout function (will shutoff after x amount of running time)
  • Potentiometer to control the power of the included pump (increase the power for larger tanks or when you are pumping from the floor to a higher tank and decrease the power for smaller nano tanks to limit how much water is pumped at a time).
  • Pump is replaceable - as in you can purchase a new one if it goes bad (which never happened to me).
  • Pump can be switch out with an outlet so you could hook up a power head if you needed more power.
  • Pump has been pumping kalk in my ATO with no issues.

Damn, I sound like a salesman but absolutely not. This has been the most reliable pieces of hardware in my tank. Previously, my old Aquapod sounded like a waterfall when I didn't top it off properly and it was such a chore to me. I have a JBJ model in my frag tank with an aqualifter and honestly I'm not the least bit impressed. It works but and is cheap but that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

*snip*

20140808_170127 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Just my $0.02.

Hummmmm... Is that like this one: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/spectrapure-power-liquid-level-controller-auto-top-off.html

If so that's not bad at all.

Archived