Innovative Marine Aquariums

Joe's Nuvo 30L

Joe_C

I have been out of the hobby a for few years & I was looking for small tank to get back in. As I prefer to have some open spots in a tank, the length of the 30L seemed like a good tank for me.

My last tank before this was 156 sps that I took down in 2009/10

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20763

Current setup is about 11/2 months old. This tank replaced a Pico tank I had for 2 months.

Tank Fusion 30L

Return pump Tunze 1073

Flow 2 WP10s

Skimmer Tunze 9004

Light Current orbit marine LED

Still working on figuring out how to take decent pictures with the LED lights Looksmore like a frag tank then anything right now. B)

Looksgood_zpsb7197ceb.jpg

Overall I like the tank for what it is. I have only made one modification to the tank & that was to cut some acrylic rectangles to put in the overflows. This allowed me to raise the water about 1.5". I never understood why they designed the returns to be above the water level. While this did not cause any real problems I was not happy with it. It also left about 3" of wasted tank space between the top of the water & the top of the tank.

I replaced the cheap loud return pump with a less powerful & more efficient Tunze 1073.

The only real negative I have is the media baskets that come with the tank. The simple explanation is they suck horribly. LOL Because they where not designed to fit the filter area it allows water to bypass the media rack. I have jerry rigged a fix with filter floss but need to get better media trays. My biggest issue with this it leaves to much particulate matter floating in the tank.

The Tunze 9004 seems to be working well but I had to give up one filter media areas to use it. I will say I am disappointed in the skimmer body as it dose not stay together well. I may ask Tunze to send me another front cover as mine does not want to stay closed. It just snaps into place & the cheap plastic tab gave way. I used a zip tie to make sure it would not come apart.

I will take some more pics to add later.

This will be all LPS & Zoas. The Shrooms, Acans, Hammers, Blastos, & even the Goniopora appear to be doing well. I am having issues with my Zoas & palys.

Joe

lilmatty5dimes

Wow great looking tank. Your last tank was pretty amazing. How many acans do you have in there? Can't wait to see this progress.

Thanks guys!

I think I have finally figured out how to fix my pictures so the color is right.

Here are a few of my coral.

FixedFlower_zpse968fbea.jpg

Bowerfixed_zpsadc2f63c.jpg

Fixed_zps05678675.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a extra large filter sock & the Nuvo custom caddy going to give that a try for the floating particulate matter issue. The filter sock is large enough to hold the caddy.

Took some pictures today slowly coming together.

LPSgroup_zpse433b5a6.jpg

Yumagroup_zps711815a3.jpg

Shroompic_zpsb5c1002f.jpg

Acans_zps3112771a.jpg

Fantastic corals and colors. Love the Fusion 30 and also want to modify it so that the water level is higher. Exactly what did you do to accomplish this? Is their a possibility to include pictures of this modification? I will be getting my new Fusion 30 this up coming week to replace my Nuvo 24 which cracked and exploded on the right side. I am waiting for In Tank to produce the new filter baskets for the Fusion 30 and will buy them when completed. You may want to look into them. The filter baskets will fit perfectly and are made of high quality acrylic. Any other plans for modifications or additions? Looking forward to following along.

Hey Joe-I was just wondering how the Tunze 9004 is working for you? I've been doing a lot of research and I guess the ghost has not been a very stellar skimmer in regards to build quality. How does the tunze compare? I was wondering how it fits inside the 30l? Can you provide some pics? Thanks!

Thanks guys! I will try to get some pictures of the requested items soon.

As for the water level there is a thread on this forum that discuss it in detail.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/346145-raising-water-level-in-fusion-30l/

As for the tunze skimmer it seems to work well enough. I would prefer one that fit in the smaller skimmer section but I did not want to take a chance on the Ghost. I also do not like crap hanging off the back (HOB skimmer). That leaves very few options that I am aware of. I will copy what I posted above about it.

"The Tunze 9004 seems to be working well but I had to give up one filter media areas to use it. I will say I am disappointed in the skimmer body as it dose not stay together well. I may ask Tunze to send me another front cover as mine does not want to stay closed. It just snaps into place & the cheap plastic tab gave way. I used a zip tie to make sure it would not come apart."

"The Tunze 9004 seems to be working well but I had to give up one filter media areas to use it. I will say I am disappointed in the skimmer body as it dose not stay together well. I may ask Tunze to send me another front cover as mine does not want to stay closed. It just snaps into place & the cheap plastic tab gave way. I used a zip tie to make sure it would not come apart."

You are the third person whose post I read that is having the same issue with the front cover. Seems to be a design flaw and I'm sure we will here more about this with more members purchasing this skimmer. It's unfortunately that you had to use a zip tie but at least it's not visible. Thanks again for the link on the water level.

• 9 months later...

How do you like the tunze 9004 on this tank? Does it stick up out of the back or hide in there? Did you have to raise it or does it work as is in the 30L chamber?

Archived