Evil cluster (Ben) or Lumia 5.2 - suggestions/ input needed

mcblablabla

mcblablabla

Hello to all Nanoreefer especially to the LED-gurus,

I’m from Germany and will start with my new tank

• Length 150 cm/ 59 inches
  • Depth 80 cm/ 31,5 inches
  • High 93 cm/ 36,3 inches

I have attached two pictures which displays the tank and the reef ceramics.

I think I will prefer to DIY a LED fixture than to buy a ready to run fixture.

I have two variant in my mind. Both of them I would like to combine with “heatsinks” from CNCReef.

The questions are:

1. Does the evil cluster from jedimasterben (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323517-ct-7567-the-ledt5-nanobox-hybrid-evil-cluster/) is able to light my tank?
    1. Is the jedimasterben evil cluster strong enough to penetrate until the bottom of the tank (approx. through 33,5 inches of water)?
    2. How many of them would be necessary?
  2. Another variant would be to use the Lumia 5.2 from LEDGroupbuy. The same question again:
    1. Is the Lumia 5.2 strong enough to penetrate until the bottom of the tank (approx. through 33,5 inches of water)?
    2. How many of them would be necessary?

Many thanks for your answers!

Gerd

post-84858-0-26876900-1404138146_thumb.jpg

post-84858-0-84180900-1404138153_thumb.jpg

bdevillier19

while im sure the lumia would be able to light the tank with enough of them, the evil cluster would be the way I would go. you will have more power and the cost will most likely be less. as to how many clusters you'd need is beyond me at this point but you will no doubt need some high power lights for a 36" deep tank.

Paleoreef103

while im sure the lumia would be able to light the tank with enough of them, the evil cluster would be the way I would go. you will have more power and the cost will most likely be less. as to how many clusters you'd need is beyond me at this point but you will no doubt need some high power lights for a 36" deep tank.

I'd go with the Evil Clusters. Lumias are more plug and play and are great for tanks that are under 24" deep. Evil Clusters can easily punch that deep. I guess a better question is what do you want to keep?

The Luxeon K multis in 8ups and 16up should be looked at.

Having 16 leds in the space of single one is very beneficial. And the cost is respectably low, $22 fir a 16 vs $48 for 16 single emitters. 4 Luxeon Ms are $48. So cost and space savings.

Everyone now is building on the Veros for the white, but the Luxeon K multis come in whites of your choice of color temp and CRI.

I would design 8 total clusters, 4 in each side of the brace.

At least a full channel of mixed violets per side.

A few, like 4, reds per side.

A full channel of regular blue, mixed with cyan? AndOr turquoise.

Make sure your power supplies are Meanwell HLGs, they are efficient and waterproof.

Dave is selling his NanoBox 13up arrays for $60, you may want to check those out. You would need a lens solution for those, im sure.

jedimasterben

If you want to do the same kinda thing as my array, double it up in two rows, adding one cluster to each row, and you'll have plenty of light to get down the 48" or so. PAR is an inverse square. Doubling the light will essentially double the PAR, and doubling the distance will cut the light to 1/4. My measurement of 300 PAR on center is at 26", and at 48" it would be ~88 PAR, so doubling that would get right around double.

jedimasterben

Everyone now is building on the Veros for the white, but the Luxeon K multis come in whites of your choice of color temp and CRI.

They are more expensive than the Vero series, and are not available in higher CRI SKUs with higher color temperatures like the Vero.

mcblablabla

If you want to do the same kinda thing as my array, double it up in two rows, adding one cluster to each row, and you'll have plenty of light to get down the 48" or so. PAR is an inverse square. Doubling the light will essentially double the PAR, and doubling the distance will cut the light to 1/4. My measurement of 300 PAR on center is at 26", and at 48" it would be ~88 PAR, so doubling that would get right around double.

Thanks Ben,

so what do mean with "double it up in two rows, adding one cluster to each row" in comparison to your setup in post #1603 (http://www.nano-reef...65#entry4741573).

row 1: Use 5 cluster plus

additional row 2: also with 5 cluster?

jedimasterben

Yes, five clusters per row, two rows. This will cover the added length, width, and height versus my tank.

Archived