Top Shelf Aquatics

Eheim 1262 Issue Louder w/ More Flow (video)

k427

As I got everything setup I'm starting to tinker around with the flow before I add rock. I've noticed with with maximum flow (all out valves wide open). My Eheim 1262 pump is considerably louder than when I restrict some of the valves. After first hearing it I drained the tank and made sure there was no air in the pump (although that's what it sounds like).

Here's the current plumbing setup and video below.

6JOniDg.png

AZDesertRat

Yes, it will be louder since it is working harder. When you restrict the flow on the discharge side of the pump you add head so the pump is not working as hard, draws less power, creates less heat and is usually more in its sweet spot of best efficiency point on the pump performance curve. Most pumps are designed to have head on them versus basically open discharge.

Yes, it will be louder since it is working harder. When you restrict the flow on the discharge side of the pump you add head so the pump is not working as hard, draws less power, creates less heat and is usually more in its sweet spot of best efficiency point on the pump performance curve. Most pumps are designed to have head on them versus basically open discharge.

Thanks, that makes sense. Do you know if the advertised 900gph is with full flow or as you describe how they're designed to operate?

AZDesertRat

They are 900 GPH at 0 feet of head. As you add head as in pumping from a sump up to a display the flow goes down accordingly. They have published pump curves which accurately show the flow at a given headloss.

Vibration and noise transmission is one big reason I dislike rigid PVC piping on pump circuits. If I use PVC I always place a short section of vinyl tubing directly off the pump to dampen the vibration and sound and to relieve stress on the pmp due to slight misalignments in plumbing fittings. I prefer a mixture or vinyl and PVC with mostly vinyl behind the scenes and threaded PVC where it enters the tank via bulkheads. I also include lots of unions or points to disconnect and clean things as it will get dirty with time and usage.

Archived