inTank Media Baskets

Cadlights 18g mini II

Daveluce

I'm a first time reefer and I just received a cadlights 18g all in one cube. I haven't seen many build threads for them, and searches didn't yield much. So I'm hoping you guys can answer some stupid questions.

Is the water level adjustable in either the display or overflow section? I could adjust the display very little by adding and removing water, but the overflow remained the same no matter how much I added or took away.

The first chamber is just a giant black sponge pad. Doesn't seem like the best idea. I couldn't find an intank media basket for sale anywhere, so if I can't get ahold of one, what's my best option for filtration? I was thinking of cutting the sponge in half height wise, and adding cheap poly fill on top that I can replace much cheaper and easier. I'd like the ability to run carbon or other chems, but how can I do that with this setup?

robbie_boy

Congrats on the cadlights 18 gal I should have gotten this one instead of the 8 gal (I need more space :) )

The two systems are the same I cut the foam in to smaller cubes, you don't need that huge piece in the first chamber. You can get a media basket for this tank. It might not be a tight fit but you can use media baskets from other tanks. Go to this site and take a look. www.mediabaskets.com. All you have to do is measure the column that you are looking to put it in and your all good. I did this as well for my 8 gal.

Good luck on your build

Rob

Hi there. Cadlights supposedly "fixed" all the 18g mini II tanks before sending them out, but I'm not shocked you are having issues with yours. What you need to do is block the lower vent with glass or acrylic. Email them and they should send you a piece of glass with silicon. Cover the vent and you are golden. My water level was ridiculous until I did that now is right where it should be, and the display level doesn't change, only the water in the back. Pm me if you have any more questions. I have been dealing with this issue for a month now.

Oh also inTank is supposedly looking into doing a cadlights line of media baskets this summer.

Thanks for the replies, I just noticed them though hahaha.

I seemed to have figured out the water level issue. I was scared I would overflow the tank of I added any more water, but then I stopped thinking like a dumb ass, and figured out it won't.

I ordered my tank like the day after I saw the first thread about problems with the lower intake for the overflow. It took a week extra to get my tank, but they did patch up the lower holes.

And thanks for the info on media baskets. I'm gonna give making them out of acrylic and egg crate a try. Doesn't seem that hard.

My tank actually just finished cycling today. I have 5# of live rock, and 10# of dry. I wasn't expecting it to be cycled after 2 weeks, but I'm not complaining. I'm gonna give it another week and see how it goes though.

Hahaha! I'm pretty confident it will turn out perfect. I won't have time until prob next weekend unfortunately. If it goes well, I'd be happy to make 2, and send you one. Let me know, and I'll make sure I buy enough acrylic .

Cameron6796

How are you liking the light on it I'm possibly getting one for a steal and want to know if I can keep maybe some basic corals until I can upgrade

I didn't get the light, because I heard it was not the greatest for keeping anything other than lower light coral. If it's a good deal though, I'd say go for it and upgrade later down the road. I ended up getting a maxspect razor nano for 50$ locally. It fits the 18g perfectly.

4D229752-BA16-4395-A20C-AECF406DF5E6.jpg

Here's a pic. I had about 10lbs of dry rock, and added another 6-7lbs of cured live rock. With my tank being cycled, I picked up 2 very small ocellaris clowns yesterday. They're less than a half inch now and eating flakes and frozen. Nice to see some life in the tank that I've been staring at for 3 weeks.

421B1584-ADC5-4371-975C-12813FB21587.jpg

Tank specs

Cadlights 18g mini II

maxspect razor nano

Cadlights pls50 skimmer

Jebao wp10 set to w1 or other

I'm planning on buying an ato next, then a rodi unit. But this all depends on how strong the urge to stock coral is. I'm sure I'll get sick of lugging buckets and topping off water real quick though haha.

I like your scape! Nice fish too.... How are you liking the skimmer? I cant seem to get mine dialed in, real wet, likes to overflow... IM looking forward to watching this thing evolve...

Thanks! I had a hell of a time trying to get the scape right. I started with 4 big pieces of dry rock that I stacked on top of eachother. Looked too artificial so I smashed them up with a hammer. If I could learn to take good pics with my iphone, I could take more detailed pics of all the shelves and caves in there. Should look pretty good covered in coral.

I didn't turn the skimmer on until I got the clowns. So 2 days now. It is super touchy. I had it in 6" of water, and it was over flowing, so I raised it up another inch. I'm getting a ton of micro bubbles, but I'm hoping they stop once it's broken in. It is slowly producing light brown skimmate, so that's cool.

Thanks! I'm really happy with it. It definitely has the look of a high end tank, and the star fire glass is amazing! I'm going to start adding coral in the next few days. I'd really like something for my clowns to host, but not an anemone. I'm thinking a hammer or torch, but I'm kind of nervous about stinging potential since I dont have a lot of room.

The razor nano was originally posted on Craigslist for 150$, but I spent a couple hours with him and he took me to his favorite fish store that I've never been to, then he ended up giving me 100$ back. Super nice guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is looking great. I will keep watch.

What holes are you talking about?

I ordered my tank like the day after I saw the first thread about problems with the lower intake for the overflow. It took a week extra to get my tank, but they did patch up the lower holes.

Rob

Thanks Robby.

Originally the tank came with 2 sets of overflows. One on the top left, and one at the bottom left, about 4 I chest from the bottom. They siliconed it shut with a piece of glass. Apparently, due to the design, people were having issues with the water level when the lower intake was open. Closing it off solved the problem.

robbie_boy

I closed it off last night and put my PLS-50 in the first chamber and its much better now. The water is actually moving instead of just sitting still.

Rob

Nice! Did you just get the tank? I've only had mine for a few months, but so far I love it. I made a media basket last weekend, and it works great. I wish intank made one for cad tanks, but they don't, so I had to get creative. Here's a pic, although I've made a few small changes. I don't have any chem media yet besides carbon to fill the shelves so I just stuck a sponge in there for the pic

FE4BE153-BFCF-4D2E-8477-980D8608269D.jpg

How do you like the pls50? Mine still doesn't work right. I get millions of micro bubbles in the display, and it doesn't pull any skimmate. Cad is sending me a new pump, so hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks! I've got to get an updated pic. I've made a few scape changes, and added a bunch of coral. And I'll be grabbing more this weekend I'm sure. I can't go a paycheck without buying coral. When I get home I'll take some new pics

robbie_boy
Nice! Did you just get the tank? I've only had mine for a few months, but so far I love it. I made a media basket last weekend, and it works great. I wish intank made one for cad tanks, but they don't, so I had to get creative. Here's a pic, although I've made a few small changes. I don't have any chem media yet besides carbon to fill the shelves so I just stuck a sponge in there for the pichttp://s4.photobucket.com/user/shawnsmarter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FE4BE153-BFCF-4D2E-8477-980D8608269D.jpg.html'>FE4BE153-BFCF-4D2E-8477-980D8608269D.jpg

How do you like the pls50? Mine still doesn't work right. I get millions of micro bubbles in the display, and it doesn't pull any skimmate. Cad is sending me a new pump, so hopefully that fixes it.

I have the 8 gal and I have had it for awhile now. I just put the pls-50 in the tank this week. I can't seem to get it to skim much at all either. I can't seem to get it to get it to work proper as well. I'm kind of disappointed with it to be honest so I might swap it out and get something else instead.

The media basket looks great. I'm going to build one of these as well soon. But I also think I'm going to upgrade the tank to something a little bigger.

Here is my tank

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/crx_4u2nv/media/imagejpg1_zpsdc4a6493.jpg.html'>imagejpg1_zpsdc4a6493.jpg

Some updated pics. Terrible, terrible pics.

0E56D4FF-68FE-459B-968F-0E80EDB37D45.jpg

C0CD487D-66A1-4678-B28D-14952CAF0125.jpg

"Incredible Hulk blah blah stupid name" torch, duncan, and some brown looking Zoas that are actually pink, blue, with a bright green skirt. Started out as 5 polyps on Father's Day, has 8 now.

21D7FD98-59A7-4449-A3E8-B1249DBBF1A4.jpg

042B54F4-D272-4689-84B1-7FE95332E95F.jpg

Side view. My zoa rock on the bottom left, my hammer on the bottom right.

319BF4D6-991B-44ED-B909-6CDB8228B297.jpg

I wish my iphone would take pics with the blues on, but it doesn't. Also, my maxspect razor nano doesn't have as bad of a disco effect as portrayed in the pics. These pics make me want to tear it down and start over haha. You'll just have to trust me, it looks really good in person.

Archived