ReefCleaners.org

Strange Yellow Coris Wrasse Behavior

Roshan8768

Roshan8768

I've had this fish for almost 3 years now and my sig has all the details on my tank and its parameters. For the last couple of months whenever I look over at the tank during the late afternoon I see this dashing behavior close to the surface. It is not captured the best in this video because he saw that I was standing by the tank and started acting like normal. Basically it repeats the behavior at around 1:08-1:13 for minutes on end.

If you sit by the tank for a couple of hours, you will here large splashing noises from the wrasse breaking the surface of the water... not jumping, just intentionally swimming with the back exposed and then flipping the tail repeatedly to splash a lot of water and make noise. It makes a bit of a mess around the tank from all the water it spills. If it wanted to jump ship it would have already at this point.... is this it looking for more food? I personally think it needs a bigger tank for more swimming room and rocks to explore. In a given week there are maybe 2 days when this behavior doesn't show up (to my knowledge.) This is by far the smartest fish I have ever owned, will be rehoming it once I find a way to remove it from my tank.

Any guesses? Have at it :)

Roshan8768

Not sure, mine doesn't that. Yours is a spaz :)

I don't know what his deal is. I feel bad for him, so I'm going to give him to my new LFS where he will be going in their display tank. Hopefully a change of scenery, more room, and different tank mates will help him out. I just have to trap him, been trying for a week now

If you know where he sleeps you could wait until night and then put the tank light on full and make a quick grab with the net.

I needed to get a twin spot hogfish out and he was fast. I made a fish trap from a design I saw online. It's the basic perspex box with a sliding door on one end but there's a piece of plumbing pipe attached to the top near the back. With this you can drop pellets in to the trap without making too much disturbance. If you leave the trap in for a day or two and then start dropping a few pellets in from time to time, the fish become less nervous. I think there's a pic on my 55 thread.

I tired a bottle trap and nothing would go near it.

Good luck!

On this page. The pipe (not shown) fits in to the fitting and is long enough to stick out of the water.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/314048-gtis-55-gallon-rimless-retired/page-13

Roshan8768

If you know where he sleeps you could wait until night and then put the tank light on full and make a quick grab with the net.

I needed to get a twin spot hogfish out and he was fast. I made a fish trap from a design I saw online. It's the basic perspex box with a sliding door on one end but there's a piece of plumbing pipe attached to the top near the back. With this you can drop pellets in to the trap without making too much disturbance. If you leave the trap in for a day or two and then start dropping a few pellets in from time to time, the fish become less nervous. I think there's a pic on my 55 thread.

I tired a bottle trap and nothing would go near it.

Good luck!

I know where he sleeps, and I've tried what you described before, but the sucker is just too damn smart. Even half asleep it has the wits to get out of the net before I can close it off!! I tried a bottle trap for a couple of days and ended up catching my fairy wrasse a couple of times. I picked up a larger bottle... we'll see what happens! He hasn't been fed in 2 days so at some point, he will go for the food

I know where he sleeps, and I've tried what you described before, but the sucker is just too damn smart. Even half asleep it has the wits to get out of the net before I can close it off!! I tried a bottle trap for a couple of days and ended up catching my fairy wrasse a couple of times. I picked up a larger bottle... we'll see what happens! He hasn't been fed in 2 days so at some point, he will go for the food

I let all of my fish get comfortable with the trap and then had a long piece of fishing line and sat 10 feet away surfing the web until he went in.

Archived