SaltCritters.com

cycling with dry reefsaver rock

tbunnelldo

I would. I use Dr.Tim's One and Only and then dose Dr.Tim's Ammonium (as a clean source of ammonia) to help get the bacteria established. After you build up the populations and establish the biofilter, you could start to slowly add livestock.

aviator300

I've been researching this topic when I decided to use BRS Reef Saver dry rock on my new 10 gal tank.

I'm tired of the bubble algae, GHA, flatworms, Aptasia and the like after starting with live rock on my last 2 tanks.

I plan on doing exactly what Seabass suggested (using Dr Tims bacteria and ammonia ) within the next couple weeks to cycle the dry rock.

I'm also using dry Aragonite sand.

is the Dr. Tim's bacteria better than the bio-spira?

IDK, but Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec would likely argue yes.

• 3 weeks later...
aviator300

I'm not so sure about the effectiveness of Dr Tims one and only bacteria and Ammonia treatment. I'm using it to cycle (or at least try to cycle) my 10 gal tank.

I am using all Reef Saver dry rock and wanted a fairly short cycle as advertised by Dr Tim because my coral and livestock are waiting in a Quarantine tank.

I researched and read all of Dr Tims instructions along with other threads on the subject and started on Sunday 5/25.

After 1 day, the Ammonia was 1.0

After 2 days, the Ammonia was 2.0 (where it should be) and Nitrite was 0.50.

* I continued to add ammonia to keep the level at 2.0

On day 4, the Ammonia was a bit over 2.0 and the Nitrite was 2.0

I added only 1 drop of Ammonia.

On day 5, the Ammonia was almost 3.0 and the Nitrite still 2.0

Here is whats going on now that has me scratching my head.

It is now day 10 and after testing daily but not adding any more Ammonia, the Ammonia level is still just above 2.0 along with the Nitrate.

According to Dr Tims website and posted reviews on this and other forums, the cycle should be about done by now but I've seen no reduction at all in Ammonia or Nitrite, and the Nitrate is still undetectable. WHATS GOING ON.

Just to add a little more info, i'm only running floss in the filter and no protein skimmer and used a whole 4 oz bottle of bacteria.

I have tried to contact someone at Dr Tims Aquatics but they don't return my E-mails and I have no phone number for them.

On day 10 where I said " The Ammonia level is still just above 2.0 along with the Nitrate"...I meant Nitrite not Nitrate.

I'm not so sure about the effectiveness of Dr Tims one and only bacteria and Ammonia treatment. I'm using it to cycle (or at least try to cycle) my 10 gal tank.

I am using all Reef Saver dry rock and wanted a fairly short cycle as advertised by Dr Tim because my coral and livestock are waiting in a Quarantine tank.

I researched and read all of Dr Tims instructions along with other threads on the subject and started on Sunday 5/25.

After 1 day, the Ammonia was 1.0

After 2 days, the Ammonia was 2.0 (where it should be) and Nitrite was 0.50.

* I continued to add ammonia to keep the level at 2.0

On day 4, the Ammonia was a bit over 2.0 and the Nitrite was 2.0

I added only 1 drop of Ammonia.

On day 5, the Ammonia was almost 3.0 and the Nitrite still 2.0

Here is whats going on now that has me scratching my head.

It is now day 10 and after testing daily but not adding any more Ammonia, the Ammonia level is still just above 2.0 along with the Nitrate.

According to Dr Tims website and posted reviews on this and other forums, the cycle should be about done by now but I've seen no reduction at all in Ammonia or Nitrite, and the Nitrate is still undetectable. WHATS GOING ON.

Just to add a little more info, i'm only running floss in the filter and no protein skimmer and used a whole 4 oz bottle of bacteria.

I have tried to contact someone at Dr Tims Aquatics but they don't return my E-mails and I have no phone number for them.

On day 10 where I said " The Ammonia level is still just above 2.0 along with the Nitrate"...I meant Nitrite not Nitrate.

I never noticed a very fast cycle with bacteria products, certainly not 10 days with dry rock anyways. I usually add them regardless but my dry rock still always takes 3-4 weeks. My guess is the concentration in the bottle isn't that much compared to what is actually in a cycled reef tank and who knows how much of it may or may not be viable.

My uncured live rock with lots of die off took 1-2 weeks with no bacteria added.

Live sand says you can "add fish instantly" but thats a bunch of BS. I figure none of the products are as advertised but may shave off a few days.

aviator300

Thats what I figured but this company really lays the advertising on so thick, you need to wear hip waders. LOL :haha:

KingstonNY

I used the same rock and it took two months to cure/cycle. It also leached an enormous amount of phosphates, the rock

currently resides in my garden bed. I'd rather spend two months removing unwanted hitch hikers than trying to remove phosphates and algae.

I used the same rock and it took two months to cure/cycle. It also leached an enormous amount of phosphates, the rock

currently resides in my garden bed. I'd rather spend two months removing unwanted hitch hikers than trying to remove phosphates and algae.

Can't say I have used reef saver but I have bought many lbs of reef cleaners and it never leached anything.

Can't say I have used reef saver but I have bought many lbs of reef cleaners and it never leached anything.

That's because they treat it:

It has been professionally cleaned and dried after a long soak in a deep water well to prevent leaching of phosphates. This rock is free of organics except the dust that may settle on it during transport.

aviator300

I must admit that i've only had this rock cycling for about 14 days now but there is no Phosphates at all yet using a Salifert test kit.

I use it. Took a while to fully cure I wanna say around 3 or 4 month mark when u start to see it turn purple takes a min but it looks killer keep it blowed off if it traps crap in all those holes. Make sure u Change water small amounts frequently. If it's trapping detritus. I learned hard way about at the two year mark about sand an rock. Now no sand high flow

Archived