Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anyone tried to clean the fan on their Mini Tide?

rolyat113

rolyat113

The fan on my Mini Tide which I've had installed for 3 weeks sounds bogged down and I don't think it's actually even moving any air... Do I maybe have a bad fan? I'm afraid the unit is going to overheat and either burn itself out or cause some other problem. It's seriously only been three weeks...

Arkayology

If you cannot get to the fan to clean it, or if a dirty fan is not the problem, I would talk directly to Dave to see what you should do.

Mine has been sounding like it's surging, which is similar to the bogging down noise you are experiencing. I plan to take mine apart this week to see what's going on. I will report back. I will say it's quite loud in comparison to my 48" duo. The duo has 4 fans and is dead silent , but I can hear the tide from across the room.

DaveFason

The fan on my Mini Tide which I've had installed for 3 weeks sounds bogged down and I don't think it's actually even moving any air... Do I maybe have a bad fan? I'm afraid the unit is going to overheat and either burn itself out or cause some other problem. It's seriously only been three weeks...

I have not had a bad fan yet on any Minis. However with electronics it is bound to happen.

If you want to try and see if something is in the way, a ton of dust, etc do this.

• Turn power off. Clean vents of dust, etc
  • The Mini comes apart very easily. Four barrel nuts hold the caps together. Unscrew the nuts on the caps of unit and look inside. See if something has made its ways ( you will be surprised with our dirty tanks ) and blow out. Then simply screw everything back together.

If you need any help please let me know.

-Dave

rolyat113

Awesome thanks! It seems to be working better now. If it does it again I'll take it apart and hit with some canned air.

Mine has been sounding like it's surging, which is similar to the bogging down noise you are experiencing. I plan to take mine apart this week to see what's going on. I will report back. I will say it's quite loud in comparison to my 48" duo. The duo has 4 fans and is dead silent , but I can hear the tide from across the room.

I have not had a bad fan yet on any Minis. However with electronics it is bound to happen.

If you want to try and see if something is in the way, a ton of dust, etc do this.

• Turn power off. Clean vents of dust, etc
  • The Mini comes apart very easily. Four barrel nuts hold the caps together. Unscrew the nuts on the caps of unit and look inside. See if something has made its ways ( you will be surprised with our dirty tanks ) and blow out. Then simply screw everything back together.

If you need any help please let me know.

-Dave

It is always good practice to clean the vents. It is amazing how much crap gets inside.

-Dave

UPDATE :

After removing the end caps I found a huge dust ball slowing the fan just a bit. I blasted the inside with a compressed air can, and all is well. Fan is no longer "surging" and is much quieter than before.

DaveFason

UPDATE :

After removing the end caps I found a huge dust ball slowing the fan just a bit. I blasted the inside with a compressed air can, and all is well. Fan is no longer "surging" and is much quieter than before.

You and your dirty house ;)

Thanks for the update!

Archived