ReefCleaners.org

Nuisance Paly/Zoa?

frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf

The picture without is from this morning.

It looks like a zoa or paly, but it had pointy tentacles, and it's speckled. I hadn't seen them before and I've had these rocks for a year. That rockflower was put there a few days ago, hadn't noticed anything there either..

Right to the lower right of the rockflower, same ledge.

post-81202-0-54859200-1397054450_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo, but perhaps a majano anemone? The will 'walk' around the tank looking for a good spot so it may have been hidden for a while.

Look very closely at the tentacles they aren't clubbed shaped are they?? I don't see the club shape in the pic, marjano have clubbed shaped ones to me they look more like a rock anemone tentacles! Get the magnifying glass out and look at the mouth and tentacles.before you decide to zap it with something.

Hard to tell from the photo, but perhaps a majano anemone? The will 'walk' around the tank looking for a good spot so it may have been hidden for a while.

Not a majano. Looks like a flower anemone to me and a very nice one at that. Definitely worth keeping. Or selling even.

Thought you were talking about the big colorful one. Still could be a rock anemone. Looks like a baby.

Hrm, perhaps a baby? Do you have more than one flower anemone?

frankdontsurf

Did an image search, majano have bulbs and just look a bit different. Best picture I could find of a baby rock flower was this: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/yvr_75/IMG_4355.jpg The critters in question are exactly like the one in the picture, but bigger. I just found 2 more so a total of 4.

I'm a little worried as the momma flower moved her self into that nook in the rock and it's pretty much a hole straight into the rock.

I am pretty sure I lost a few babies, I actually had to pluck the mom out of the sand a couple of days ago and decided to go bare bottom. The whole thing took 25 minutes but I mean I yanked her out of the sand where she was holding on to the glass pretty damn strong. Then to a bucket, then back to the tank where I set her on the rock.

This is what she looked like yesterday.

post-81202-0-66042600-1397057742_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it moving into a crevice. As long as you can see it (so that it gets some light), it should be fine. They can move around sometimes, but will tend to stay in a place they find suitable.

They look like baby Rock Anemones to me too. Here's a pic of a few of mine (when they were maybe a couple of months old):

042412j.jpg

Rock anemones do move I had one decide to park itself right over a cabbage leather and another one that moved right up under another rock anemone.

Could be a baby because I read it's not until they're like a half inch that they get their coloration. so they may have no color or start to as they get closer to 1/2 inch.

frankdontsurf

Could be a baby because I read it's not until they're like a half inch that they get their coloration. so they may have no color or start to as they get closer to 1/2 inch.

One of the three that I can see is already green. Yay! I'm excites about this.

Did an image search, majano have bulbs and just look a bit different. Best picture I could find of a baby rock flower was this: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/yvr_75/IMG_4355.jpg The critters in question are exactly like the one in the picture, but bigger. I just found 2 more so a total of 4.

I'm a little worried as the momma flower moved her self into that nook in the rock and it's pretty much a hole straight into the rock.

I am pretty sure I lost a few babies, I actually had to pluck the mom out of the sand a couple of days ago and decided to go bare bottom. The whole thing took 25 minutes but I mean I yanked her out of the sand where she was holding on to the glass pretty damn strong. Then to a bucket, then back to the tank where I set her on the rock.

This is what she looked like yesterday.

Crevices, no worries, they like to back themselves into crevices and plant themselves. I"ll put one in the middle of the rock and it'll move to plant itself between 2 rocks, thus nem islands were born.

I quickly rushed that idea before going to work yesterday. I am so happy for you. Now how are you going to raise the little guy? I wonder if anyone has raised one to adulthood? We need to have a baby anemone post for these guys.

I wonder if anyone has raised one to adulthood?

This little guy is about 2 years old now (possibly the middle one in my picture above):

040814c.jpg

Lately, it's been mostly shielded by the larger anemone. I'm not sure if this has given it the protection that it needs, or has simply slowed its growth. Luckily, my anemones have spawned again.

This little guy is about 2 years old now:

040814c.jpg

Lately, it's been mostly shielded by the larger anemone. I'm not sure if this has given it the protection that it needs, or has simply slowed its growth. Luckily, my anemones have spawned again.

That is beautiful. I heard they were hard to grow to adulthood. How big is it now?

That is beautiful. I heard they were hard to grow to adulthood. How big is it now?

That's a current pic (just smaller than a dime). It's about 2 years old now. I think the hardest part of raising it, was not losing it (during maintenance, to filters, tank transfers, etc). When I've noticed them, they are hardly bigger than a common flatworm.

This little guy is about 2 years old now (possibly the middle one in my picture above):

040814c.jpg

Lucky!

Archived