Innovative Marine Aquariums

12volt Battery Backup for Jabo pumps

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

I was sitting around thinking about the possibility of a power outage, rare but it does happen. I was wondering if there was an easy way to create a battery backup for a jabo pump. I know there running at 24v, but switching to 12v they aught to still run I'd think. Id think you could splice in a relay to throw when power is lost, and just have a 12v battery on tap. But I'm pretty inept at anythign electrical other than wiring up a car stereo, so I was wondering what you guys thought.

Thanks

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

They can an do run on 12v. I have mine running on a 12v adapter cable to keep power down.

Good to hear it wouldn't fry one, tho in the event of a power outage the jabo would be the least of my worries. Im going to have to look into how to build a back up now.

Has anyone used a BBU that they sell for PCs and just plug a power strip in it? I have a 12v bbu at my disposal but am not really interested in running the pump at 12v

NorthGaHillbilly

Has anyone used a BBU that they sell for PCs and just plug a power strip in it? I have a 12v bbu at my disposal but am not really interested in running the pump at 12v

My main issue with this is that it would run down quick, with having to convert the DC of the pc backup to AC, and then back into DC to run the pump. but it would work fine, I use to run one on my tank in years back, great for an hour or so, but not so much with a longer outage.

NorthGaHillbilly

I drew up a diagram that I think represents what should happen, sent it to my electrical engineer father in law, Ill see what he says and report back.

NorthGaHillbilly

Heres the diagram of what im going to attempt tomorrow, father in law gave me a thumbs up on it working. Looking to get a 1.5 amp fuse, as the supply on the pump has an output of 1 amp.

Forgive my childlike paint skillz

backup_zps505632be.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

If I'm not off base I believe it's going to need to be a 24 volt relay, as the magnet side of the relay is going to be fed from the standard supply, and 12 volt only on the switch side, which is ignorant of voltage, within these ranges I think.

Correct. I would look into the UPS solution though. While the stock batteries in a small and cheap UPS won't last long, you can always replace them with something bigger. You would have to buy the batteries anyway for your own backup system. The UPS will just make the change-over easier, and you can run other AC equipment off the UPS too.

NorthGaHillbilly

Correct. I would look into the UPS solution though. While the stock batteries in a small and cheap UPS won't last long, you can always replace them with something bigger. You would have to buy the batteries anyway for your own backup system. The UPS will just make the change-over easier, and you can run other AC equipment off the UPS too.

I'll get my ups and see about running the heater on it, but I've already got a sealed cell battery, and a urge to diy something this afternoon B)

One thing to keep in mind is that AC pumps may not work well on modified sine-wave UPS units (you won't find full/pure sine-wave units for cheap). The WP pumps will be fine as they are DC. The heater won't care as it's a resistive load.

We lost power so many times, I broke down and bought an inexpensive generator. My city allows 24/7 operation of these regardless of noise and I keep my tank and wifi going and that is it :lol:

NorthGaHillbilly

Ok, well I blew a relay in my attempts to get it figgured out, but below I modified a scematic I found and I think I have it where it will work now. Anyone that knows anything about electricity please let me know if this looks right

Thanks

post-84043-0-07552500-1396919567_thumb.gif

bdevillier19

If you go over to RC and dig up the mp40 mega thread, in there they discussed the battery backup quite a bit. I believe they took a tunze adapter and wired it to the UPS. been a while since I've read through that thread but that's the general idea of it.

NorthGaHillbilly

Well fellas, it worked. I used a 24 volt relay, and wired it up with standard connectors so its less of an eye sore and can use the pump without hacking up any of the supplied cords.

Heres the end result, minus the back of the enclosure.

6987fe94-244d-4bdd-8c1d-8e8c1bc71faa_zps

Video explaining it all is uploading now

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

I like the spyderco for size refrence

It's a great knife, I beat the crap out of it daily and it takes an edge again time after time. I was mainly using it as a way to prop it up so the light would show what's goin on, but it works well as a refrence too :D

NorthGaHillbilly

going on 4 hours on the battery supply, testing to see how long it will go. Ill only be up for an hour more, but if its going in the morning then I dont plan to upsize the battery.

NorthGaHillbilly

11.5 hours on battery, went ahead and plugged it back in, headed to work, but I'm going to switch it back over to battery when I get home to see runtime.

NorthGaHillbilly

LOL, everyones priorities are a little different, some way different :lol:

16 hours so far off of the little battery, I dont think Im going to bother bringing up the big ol marine battery, but rather look at making a back up for the heater.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived