ReefCleaners.org

Help with Decision!?

FishBrawler

Tank!?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go new or try to fix all the problems?

• New Tank
    • Old Tank

FishBrawler

The problem:

My tank has been giving me so much trouble lately. From one piece of equipment failing to another. I have already contemplated about taking it down, but decided not to. But last night my return pump failed... Fried most of my SPS pieces temp wise. Second, the pump is hard plumbed in... not a big problem but I didn't put unions in... So that means I have to take out all the plumbing and replace the return pump. So now here comes the actual question. Should I move all my stuff to a separate tank and start over, or redo my pump and plumbing? I have another tank in the works and could just keep them in another tank in the mean while. This tank has just drove me crazy! The water tests fine, but I don't get the results. The tank is infested with bubble algae and aptasia... Seems like a refresh may be better in the long run right now. Opinnions? I will leave a poll at the top! Thanks! If you have any wise words of advice, that would be awesome. I have learned to not be cheap on the equipment end and pacients is key! Thanks again!

You don't have to remove all the plumbing at all. Just cut the part going to the pump, and either fit it back together with a hard union or a quick release when you're done. PVC cutting wrench is your friend.

FishBrawler

You don't have to remove all the plumbing at all. Just cut the part going to the pump, and either fit it back together with a hard union or a quick release when you're done. PVC cutting wrench is your friend.

Hadn't thought of that! But the PVC glue holding that has to cure for a few days so I would have to wait.

Yea I agree with Jedi, the PVC glue can handle the pressure that will go through the piping in the fish tank without issues.

FishBrawler

So the consensus is to buy another pump and redo the plumbing?

And I was more refering to the chemicals in the glue. Don't want that in my tank so doesn't it have to cure?

The stuff doesn't take long to set and once it does it's fine. When I switched tanks I had to replumb my sump and I let it dry for all of 30 minutes before starting everything up again.

Reefmaster1996

Just fix the issues with this tank, starting a new tank will create more issues at first, just like this one has, problems are why we are in this hobby, 60% of the hobby is fixing them and 40% is enjoying the results after.

FishBrawler

Just fix the issues with this tank, starting a new tank will create more issues at first, just like this one has, problems are why we are in this hobby, 60% of the hobby is fixing them and 40% is enjoying the results after.

I am making this new tank no matter what! I already built the stand! So now its to the point of whether I should move the live stock and sell it to put all the money into the new tank.

FishBrawler

If you really want to start over, sell it and start fresh

It really upsets me because I lost all my SPS last night when the pump failed! Everything else is very hard and will make a transfer!

If you have a lot of pests in the existing tank, make sure you don't transfer them to the new one. This is a great opportunity to get rid of them!

Archived