Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stocking List Suggestions-28 Gallon Hex

MyLiquidBlue29BC

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I'm trying to finish up the stocking list for my new 28 gallon hex tank and would like some suggestions.

I currently have one occy clown and one target mandarin.

I am definitely adding one more occy clown and a pearly jawfish. The jawfish will be the next addition and the second clownfish will be the last addition.

I'd like to add at least 1 more fish, maybe two. The fish has to be peaceful and something that doesn't require a lot of swimming space...any ideas?

Thanks!

Jessica

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Firefish are a good choice.

Royal gramma and a tailspot blenny would get my votes.

Firefish could work...with the jawfish, I'll already have all the openings covered...purple would add a nice splash of color.

Amber, do you have a gramma? I was a little worried about having just the one rock structure between a pair of clowns and a gramma.

Firefish could work...with the jawfish, I'll already have all the openings covered...purple would add a nice splash of color.

Amber, do you have a gramma? I was a little worried about having just the one rock structure between a pair of clowns and a gramma.

I do. He hangs out in only the tiniest crevices. I have never seen any aggression from him but I know sometimes there are the bad eggs.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Considering that I have kids and there is a royal gramma in Finding Nemo, that might just be the fish. Do you think I could do a Royal Gramma and a neon or tiger goby in addition to the other fish I will have?

Considering that I have kids and there is a royal gramma in Finding Nemo, that might just be the fish. Do you think I could do a Royal Gramma and a neon or tiger goby in addition to the other fish I will have?

Which tiger goby do you mean? The big one that sifts sand or the little tiny 1 inch guys?

I think the stock will be fine. My only worry is the tiger goby getting beat up by the jawfish or ate :o Jawfish have big mouths. It might be fine though and maybe he'll just spit sand, unsure. Never mixed such a tiny fish with one.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I think the stock will be fine. My only worry is the tiger goby getting beat up by the jawfish or ate :o Jawfish have big mouths. It might be fine though and maybe he'll just spit sand, unsure. Never mixed such a tiny fish with one.

The neon goby would probably be okay...being a cleaner goby. Maybe? What about a green banded goby?

My gramma is sometimes aggressive to my angelfish, and the gramma like their rock caves very very very very much.

+1 any goby

I think you should do a cleaner shrimp-goby pair as long as those don't have problems with jawfish

The neon goby would probably be okay...being a cleaner goby. Maybe? What about a green banded goby?

Neon goby will be fine. Green banded might be same issue being it is so small, but I'm just not sure how these two will react to each other. I have a green banded and he escaped a breeder net and got beat up by either my randall's goby or my Jawfish. Not sure which was the guilty party.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

My gramma is sometimes aggressive to my angelfish, and the gramma like their rock caves very very very very much.

+1 any goby

I think you should do a cleaner shrimp-goby pair as long as those don't have problems with jawfish

Still feeling "hmmm" about the gramma. I don't have a very large sand bed, so a shrimp goby probably won't work.

I have one giant rock structure...42 lbs of rock...so something that can share the rock or stays out in the open swimming space would probably work best.

Neon goby will be fine. Green banded might be same issue being it is so small, but I'm just not sure how these two will react to each other. I have a green banded and he escaped a breeder net and got beat up by either my randall's goby or my Jawfish. Not sure which was the guilty party.

I love those little neon gobies and I'd rather not take chances. Neon goby goes on the list...Thanks!

Now, 1 more? Fire fish, gramma, any other ideas out there?

If you are worried about the gramma being aggressive, the Gold Assessor Basslet is peaceful and neon yellow. A lot of people shy away at the price though.

Pygmy wrasse if you don't mind it eating whatever pods you may have.

Cardinals sort of hover around with a deer in headlights look.

A small fang blenny like a Harptail Blenny or a White Blenny would be pretty cool. Fangs spend a fair amount of time swimming unlike the combtooths but stick to a smaller fang since the tank isn't very wide.

Now, 1 more? Fire fish, gramma, any other ideas out there?

Maybe two neon gobies?

I love that gold assessor basslet. My LFS gets those sometimes!

MyLiquidBlue29BC

If you are worried about the gramma being aggressive, the Gold Assessor Basslet is peaceful and neon yellow. A lot of people shy away at the price though.

Pygmy wrasse if you don't mind it eating whatever pods you may have.

Cardinals sort of hover around with a deer in headlights look.

A small fang blenny like a Harptail Blenny or a White Blenny would be pretty cool. Fangs spend a fair amount of time swimming unlike the combtooths but stick to a smaller fang since the tank isn't very wide.

Assessors are really cool, but the price tag is too much for me and Pygmy wrasses will compete with the target mandy for pods. I could always get a ruby red dragonett :) There always seem to be a few at my LFS, but the two they have now are the size of neon gobies!

Fang blennies sound cool.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Maybe two neon gobies?

I love that gold assessor basslet. My LFS gets those sometimes!

I have seriously thought about that one. :)

So here is the for sure list: 2 occys, 1 target mandy, 1 jawfish, 1 neon goby

For the last fish, I will let the family pick among a fire fish, royal gramma, 2nd neon goby and a fang blenny for the last addition.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Will eat pods and such.

Pods are for the mandy...will have to pass on the wrasse then. Thanks :)

Archived