Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Hi Fin Goby & Pistol Shrimp Missing In Action

drfu

I just added a maited pair consisting of a hifin goby and pistol shrimp, drip aclimated them both(they came in the same bag) for 1 1/2 hours, they went in behind some rocks and now have dissapeared. They are my only livestock besides mu cuc, will they come out or have i wasted my money on some critters that i will never see? I have not fed them yet as i read that you should wait 24-48 hours before trying to feed them.

I have omega one reef formula frozen cubes, i could place on at the bottom with my pumps/powerheads off to try and get them out, but i dont even know where they call home, have lots of caves in my live rock and a 3" sandbed.

Advice/help would be greatly appreciated, thx in advance!

post-82698-0-02530100-1393690497_thumb.jpg

I feed new mail-ordered fish immediately. They have been starved prior to shipping and of course during.

But yeah shrimp gobies and pistol shrimp are not always visible. Mine never are really.

SouthFlorida_Tron

LOL @ this thread.

O right, give it time, they will disappear for awhile then magically reappear!

Good luck! Tempt the goby to pop out with some food!

just give it time, my pistol took a day or so be for it showed signs, youll hear the pistol more than see it, but still a cool addition and youll see them occasionally

Give them time to settle; they just had a pretty stressful 24 hours! Also, the shrimp needs time to make a burrow for the two of them to live. When I added my Yasha and Pistol to my tank, I didn't see either for about 24 hours. Now I see the fish every day. The fish spends almost all evening hovering above the burrow entrance. The shrimp I don't necessarily see every day, but I hear every day. The fish comes out when I feed, and the shrimp usually does as well. It is true, the shrimp could decide to make the burrow in an area you can't see easily in your tank. However, I've found my shrimp is pretty industrious. While he has one rock he has made his burrow under, he likes making different entrance/exits from it.

LOL @ this thread. Whah, not funny. Gonna try some frozen mysis O right, give it time, they will disappear for awhile then magically reappear! Good luck! Tempt the goby to pop out with some food!

Patience, who has patience in reefing

Rollermonkey

When I added my goby/pistol pair, I didn't see them for about 6 weeks. OP's worried instantly?

He gon' have a tough time in this hobby.

:)

SouthFlorida_Tron

When I added my goby/pistol pair, I didn't see them for about 6 weeks. OP's worried instantly?

He gon' have a tough time in this hobby.

:)

:D

maited pair.

Give them time to settle; they just had a pretty stressful 24 hours! Also, the shrimp needs time to make a burrow for the two of them to live. When I added my Yasha and Pistol to my tank, I didn't see either for about 24 hours. Now I see the fish every day. The fish spends almost all evening hovering above the burrow entrance. The shrimp I don't necessarily see every day, but I hear every day. The fish comes out when I feed, and the shrimp usually does as well. It is true, the shrimp could decide to make the burrow in an area you can't see easily in your tank. However, I've found my shrimp is pretty industrious. While he has one rock he has made his burrow under, he likes making different entrance/exits from

just give it time, my pistol took a day or so be for it showed signs, youll hear the pistol more than see it, but still a cool addition and youll see them occasionally

Well to my surprise this morning i woke up to a pretty smiley head popping out of my foundation rock near the front of my tank! This rock has several holes in it and from what i can tell its a network. I also has the shrimp spitting out substrate out of a side hole so i know they are together!!!

I watched as he/she came right out to take a peek around, seemed to want to nip at its reflection in the glass!!!

So what do i do but decide to give them some food, its been 36 hours since they have arrived at their new home, grabbed a small chunk of Omega One Reef formula cube i had defrosted. Placed it by the top hole and when i came back it was in the hole!!!!

Turned my pumps back on, it went a flying and the crew of Nassarius snails came a running for meal time, sniffed around three of the openings and whah, haven't seen them since, sniff sniff!

At lease i know they are alive and together for now, maybe later on today or tomorrow they will make an appearance again, lets hope??? This time i will ram a piece in the one hole so they actually get to eat and get accustomed to the zombies from The Walking Dead!

Well good news, they are coming out again. Bad news is my Nassarius are ruining the party, dont know how to keep them out and feed them!

This am they were in full force building their home, goby out front keeping an eye on things while mr shrimp dug up a full cub of substrate this morning. Again, i was thinking of feeding them so i tossed some mysis shrimp with the pumps on to get the nassarius snails attention, the after turned off the pumps and placed some neer their home. Again crashing the party and goby&shrimp are nowhere to be seen again and building has stopped.

How/what is the best way of feeding these guys and keep them happy, out & about?

Do i need to get rid of the Nassarius snails? If yes, what would be a good replacement to stir up the sand. My tank is only a 15 gallon column so my choices are limited.

Love to hear some ideas to my problem!

They aren't going to be out all the time. The shrimp you will barely see. The fish will spend most of his time in the burros with maybe just his head poking out. I wouldn't stress out too much about direct feeding food into their burrow. Just feed when you see the fish out. Leave your circulation on. Mine dives out of the burrow to grab a shrimp, then goes back in.

They aren't going to be out all the time. The shrimp you will barely see. The fish will spend most of his time in the burros with maybe just his head poking out. I wouldn't stress out too much about direct feeding food into their burrow. Just feed when you see the fish out. Leave your circulation on. Mine dives out of the burrow to grab a shrimp, then goes back in.

Mirya, thanks for the advice, he has perched him/herself in front of their burrow again so i think all is good, just a newbie with his first fish/shrimp combo for this tank! How much and what do you your yasha/shrimp combo. I have marine flakes & frozen cubes of mysis, brine and also omega one reef formula. For one fish i was thinking of a 1/3 of a cube? Thanks again for your input!

I've been feeding 3-5 times a week. More than every other day, but not quite every day. My guy doesn't eat pellets, but will go for frozen brine. That was what I fed when I first got him; I've been feeding him a homemade food lately though (more on that later). I feed enough that it is all gone in a few minutes. My anemones grab a bit of food as it floats around the tank.

In regards to the homemade food... First off, I think feeding frozen cubes or pellets is fine. But, at my local reef club's meeting last month one of the guys showed us this food he prepares for his tank. He gave us samples. Holy crap does everything in my tank love this food. As a nano owner, it would never be practical for me to make up this food myself, but some of the other members in the reef group have 220 gallon tanks, so it obviously makes sense for them. If you are curious, the recipe is:
• 2/3 lbs. shrimp
• 1 package frozen oysters
• 1 package frozen mussels
• 5 Live Clams with the juice (very important)
• 1 container fish eggs (used for sushi)
• 1/2 brick of Cyclopeeze
• 1 tsp. Spirulina powder
• 2 tbsp. of ground Golden Pearls or other quality pellet.
• 2-3 squirts of Selcon

You put all this in a blender and chop it into a paste. Then pour it into ziplock bags and freeze it to about 1/4" thick so you can easily break chunks off to feed your reef. The guy who showed us this says a batch typically lasts him a year.

Well after a week, its been popping out of its cave quite ofter, mostly after the introduction of mysis shrimp. I think i have heard the shrimp a few times so i think all is well but a skittish little guy. Every time i move he will duck back into its cave but is now coming out on its own. Thanks again for all of your input

Archived