inTank Media Baskets

20 gallon tall coffee table aquarium

Huskerguy84

I always wanted a coffee table aquarium so I decided to build one. It was actually way easier than all of my other tank builds. It's going to be a mantis tank. Nothing better to put your feet on than a mantis shrimp's home. Below is my inspiration and my build without lighting (on its way,underwater led's). I am going to buy nice pegs or bumpers and a nice piece of glass when I come across them. The water is coming from my reef tank and also some sand to seed the new sand. Let me know what you think

of73.jpg

Thank you, I am using the internal filter that came with the aquarium. You can unfortunately see it in the corner and I am using live rock/sand. Everything plugs into a power strip under the aquarium so the unit plugs in using a single cord that runs under the rug.

??? How much water movement is recommended for a mantis tank? I've been researching a bunch and have seen nothing concrete. Some have powerheads and some do not.

Thanks

Well, I have been searching for a mantis, most places are out of stock. I am not wanting to spend $80-100 for the mantis plus shipping. If anyone comes across I would like to take it off their hands. Ill pay for shipping and the mantis. I found a guy that sells the green smasher for $20 plus shipping but I have to wait for him to catch it. http://stores.ebay.com/caribbeanfishcollectors/

I will take any of the 'smasher' guys. I live in Yuma and we don't have a saltwater store so I always have to go to San Diego or Phoenix if I want to actually see what I am buying.

Thanks, Im not sure if I should have used a 20g long. When you are laying on the couch taller objects on the couch block a small portion of the tv. I didn't want a large footprint though. Does anyone know where I can get the pegs or bumpers that hold the glass up, shown in the example picture of the 20g long?

keithfullermusic

Thanks, Im not sure if I should have used a 20g long. When you are laying on the couch taller objects on the couch block a small portion of the tv. I didn't want a large footprint though. Does anyone know where I can get the pegs or bumpers that hold the glass up, shown in the example picture of the 20g long?

home depot or the hardware store. if all else fails, you can buy rods and cut them, but i don't think you'll get able to get that smooth edge.

also, you can probably find a crappy old table that has those at the thrift shop - you'd be amazed what you can find at those places.

Ordered a clown(peacock) mantis today of Liveaquaria.com. $49. I was on the email alert. Ordered some other stuff for the reef to make shipping worth it. Hopefully get them tomorrow.

If you are looking for hardware like knobs, drawer slides, and hinges along with a million other things check out www.outwaterplastics.com they have everything you can thing of and they have a location in phoenix.

Went to Petsmart today to buy a feeder crab. Do not tell them that you want a feed crab, they cant sell it! Did not know that. I need to go in with a fake mustache next time.

keithfullermusic
Went to Petsmart today to buy a feeder crab. Do not tell them that you want a feed crab, they cant sell it! Did not know that. I need to go in with a fake mustache next time.

Are you serious? What a freaking joke.

I tried and he we interested but still just a little to shy. The goldfish died and floated to the top. He did take salad shrimp from me the 2nd day.

• 4 weeks later...
Huskerguy84

The mantis will take food from me using a food stick. Its pretty neat that he hits the stick before he takes the food. Pretty big punch for a little guy. Ive also watched him hunt a few crabs. He stuns them, takes them to the burrow, then kills and eats them. He spins the shell to have the opening facing towards himself, then punches the actual crab, pretty smart.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Huskerguy84

Going to start selling prefabricated tables for a 40 gallon breeder, 20 gallon long/tall to where you drop in your own stock tank and glass top. Then stock it. This will save people tons of money. The stand will go together like a piece of Ikea furniture, but hopefully easier. Working on using Ebay 1st. Any ideas will help.

Here is how you plug one of these bad boys in:

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Huskerguy84/media/photo3_zps0ab5ada1.jpg.html'>photo3_zps0ab5ada1.jpg

Huskerguy84

I thought about the maintenance thing and I agree that it could be. What is cool about this is that you just lift the 5lb glass top, put it to the side and change the filter every month or so and clean the glass. That's all. I feed from the side. If you have a problem the aquarium can pull directly out from the top. I have a small bio-load and led lights with a non-synthetic spectrum so my glass never gets dirty. My reef is way harder to clean. I agree that a normal coffee table tank would be hard to clean but this is so basic.

Cleaning the top of the glass of soda rings and dust is the most annoying part.

Archived