Pod Your Reef

Got Bugs. What do I do? (photos)

ps2cho

So I got some new SPS frags from the LFS Today. One pink birdsnest, one Monti Digitata and a Monti Cap.

I dipped them in Revive for 15minutes and found these squirming at the bottom of the cup. Moved around like a worm.. Photos are hard to tell. I tried with my D5000 too, but the quality was no better than these from a Cannon Point and Shoot. Wrong lens for the job I guess...

What do I do? I certainly don't want to add these to my DT. I have a QT tank that is housing a Royal Gramma I got set up today (ignore LR its getting trashed after QT don't need this piece) and I put them in there for now until I get some help from you guys figuring this out.

Should I go ahead and keep the corals in the QT? If so...

a) how long for?

b ) what should I do to keep them alive lighting-wise?

c ) anything else to do?

Any advice here?

post-80757-0-88036800-1390782230_thumb.jpg

post-80757-0-90862500-1390782231_thumb.jpg

post-80757-0-63373700-1390782232_thumb.jpg

post-80757-0-62450900-1390782233_thumb.jpg

The pictures are not very telling but the 2nd photo looks like Flat Worms. Google Flat worms and see what you get. Could be your match. You definitely don't want them in your DT.

Agreed on the flat work ID. They multiply by the hundreds. if you do see any on glass, squish them with your finger. I had them once from a coral frag. Luckily My six line did away with them. But that doesnt count the amount of squishing I had to do daily.

I looked up flatworm and its definitely pretty close. Could be.

I did not use a turkey baster when I did the Revive dip. Would it be safe tomorrow to give the corals a 2nd Revive dip /w the turkey baster, followed by a 10 second freshwater dip?

Those are typical red planaria flat worms. You can treat the frags in a flat worm exit found at your local LFS fairly inexpensive. What fish do you have in your tank? I have had these worms before and they have never been a probelm for me. That said, I have a six line wrase that keeps them in check.

Archived