ReefCleaners.org

Want to start a Nuvo 24 Aquarium

Nuvo24

I have been reading three Nuvo 24 build treads.

Now I am thinking of getting one. I have posted in two threads. I am new at this and never posted before so please bear with me. not sure what the policy is.

Here is what I am thinking of buying:

Nuvo 24 tank

Maxspect Razor R420 160W 16,000K

BRS 4 stage value RO/DI system - 75GPD

Replace the two top chambers with Poly Filter Floss

Leave the activated Carbon Sponges

Change the left Bottom with Purigen

The following will go into the left middle tank:

InTANK Innovative Marine 24 Fuge Basket an Underwater 10W Light

Heater will go into the middle right

I will fill the rest with Rubble Rock

I don't want to start with reactors and skimmers if I don't have to.

I have been reading three Nuvo 24 build treads.

Now I am thinking of getting one. I have posted in two threads. I am new at this and never posted before so please bear with me. not sure what the policy is.

Here is what I am thinking of buying:

Nuvo 24 tank

Maxspect Razor R420 160W 16,000K

BRS 4 stage value RO/DI system - 75GPD

Replace the two top chambers with Poly Filter Floss

Leave the activated Carbon Sponges

Change the left Bottom with Purigen

The following will go into the left middle tank:

InTANK Innovative Marine 24 Fuge Basket an Underwater 10W Light

Heater will go into the middle right

I will fill the rest with Rubble Rock

I don't want to start with reactors and skimmers if I don't have to.

For a starter aio, I think you may be overcomplicating things a bit.

I would go for a starting shopping list like this based on what you have mentioned.

Nuvo 24,

maxspect razor 120 i feel like the 160 is complete overkill if you're going the maxspect route id just hang the 120 a bit higher.

Heater would be a 100w neotherm (don't skimp here cheap heaters cause big failures)

You're going to need a powerhead, pick one in you're budget aim for 20-30 times tank turnover for all flow sources combined.

From personal experience i find carbon and purigen in combination a waste of time and I just run one or the other havn't seen much of a difference. combine that with some filter floss and you're covered for beginners filtration. Just keep up on water changes which on your list is an rodi unit. Definitely a good purchase there. Don't keep LR in your back chambers it will build up detrius and be a PITA to get out to clean.

Just those things listed and keeping up with daily maintenance should give you an idea down the road of where you want to go with the tank and what accessories other than the necessities you will need.

Thanks for your input.

Do I need a powerhead or Circulation Pump? What type would you suggest for this size tank?

I am getting nervous the price of this tank keeps on growing :o

I myself am a beginner as well. But I am fortunate to have some friends who have been in the hobby for a while and one in particular owns his own fish store. The very first thing they all told me was be prepared to spend $$. This hobby is not cheap. They also said it's better to spend good money up front rather than throw money at solving problems later on. the RO unit is a good first step as is the suggestion for a quality heater.

I will also say that it's worth it to grab an extra heater, circulation pump, and plenty of containers for water changes. I was told regular water changes are one of the most vital aspects to running a reef tank but it is also the biggest PITA. Do yourself a favor and make water changes as easy on yourself as possible because it will make a difference when you're starting out. I think my first water change took an entire afternoon on a Sunday and included water all over the floor, spilled containers, etc. but now I've got a pretty good system going for myself.

I am running the Nuvo 24 and I really like it. I haven't had any issues with it and I think that's because I got one of the versions with the thicker glass. I just added a smart ATO and life just got a lot easier. With the top on, a 5 gallon homer bucket filled with RODI lasts just shy of two weeks. The Maxspect is nice (I have the 160w over my nuvo) but I don't think it's a necessity. Same goes for a power head. I have an MP 10 on mine but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. An ATO is not necessary. A controller is not necessary. Some may argue a skimmer isn't necessary either. If you envision a mushroom tank with a couple fish you could probably do away with a lot of the extras. But you can run a successful tank using the basics that come with an AIO.

I decided to spend the $$ because I like tinkering with gadgets. I also want to have SPS eventually in my tank. I also like convenience because I find the more duties I can automate or make easier, the more I enjoy this hobby. So, love of gadgets + desire to raise finicky corals + propensity for convenience = $$. If you can eliminate or are OK with eliminating anything from this equation then you will end up spending less money.

Also, get yourself a refractometer if you haven't yet.

What ATO did you go with.

I am realy lazy and will forget to top off the tank.

I am going to go to a plumbing store to get some 10 Gallon tanks for water changes.

I am thinking of getting a pump to put the water back to make my life easier (LAZY again).

I will use the sink suction hook up to empty the water from the tank and then use a pump from the tank to refill. Any ideas on a cheap good pump.

What ATO did you go with.

I am realy lazy and will forget to top off the tank.

I am going to go to a plumbing store to get some 10 Gallon tanks for water changes.

I am thinking of getting a pump to put the water back to make my life easier (LAZY again).

I will use the sink suction hook up to empty the water from the tank and then use a pump from the tank to refill. Any ideas on a cheap good pump.

A maxi jet cost me like 20$ and works great for pumping water from buckets into the tank. Python to remove water also a good idea as long as you have your tank marked so you know how much you took out.

I would suggest 5 gallon buckets, 10 gallons is over 80 lbs, not sure about you but I dont like carrying 80 lbs very far especially when it is wobbly. I suggest gamma screw on lids aswell, much easier to get the bucket open than prying the whole piece off.

My favorite ato because i feel it to be the safest is the tunze osmolator. not the nano version. Read up on it if you feel like dropping the $ into one its worth buying one that won't flood your floors.

Thanks for your input.

Do I need a powerhead or Circulation Pump? What type would you suggest for this size tank?

I am getting nervous the price of this tank keeps on growing :o

the nuvo 24 has a build it circulation pump for its aio chamber, you will need a powerhead like a koralia tunze jebao or vortech. for that size tank i would look for something in the 700-1500 gpm range most are adjustable so you can dial it in where you want it.

I would get the api master kit for cycling the tank then after your done with the cycle get the redsea master kit and the hanna po4 kit.

My favorite ato because i feel it to be the safest is the tunze osmolator. not the nano version. Read up on it if you feel like dropping the $ into one its worth buying one that won't flood your floors.

My Amazon order is getting bigger and bigger. I am getting cramps scrolling to the bottom of it.

The Nano is cheap. If I go for the next version up should I go for the IM

Hydro fill and pump system for 297?

I would suggest 5 gallon buckets, 10 gallons is over 80 lbs, not sure about you but I dont like carrying 80 lbs very far especially when it is wobbly. I suggest gamma screw on lids aswell, much easier to get the bucket open than prying the whole piece off.

I have followed your advice and will be ordering

Maxi-Jet ML90512 1200 Multi-Use for pumping out of the buckets. I can leave the buckets next to the RO/DI filter

I would get the api master kit for cycling the tank then after your done with the cycle get the redsea master kit and the hanna po4 kit.

I was reading a lot of posts on this and people didn't like the API testers. They like the Red Sea. Just not sure which one.

MY head is about to EXPLODE.

So far my order is coming to around $1,699 and I havent even bought the live rock and sand........................

So far this what I am thinking of getting:

Nuvo 24 Tank
2 Auqa Gadget Spin Stream Nozzle (ordered already) I know Crazy as I haven't even bought the tank!!

Maxspect R4z0r Razor 160w 16k Aquarium LED Light ( I know over kill but want it if I get SPS coral)

InTANK Underwater 10W Single Light for Fuge (ordered already)
1 InTANK Fuge basket for left middle tank (ordered already)
2 InTANK Media baskets (ordered already)

API Phos-Zorb Filter Media Pouch Size 6- (Botom of the left basket)
Value Pack - Poly Filter Floss- inTank (Top rack of both baskets)
Seachem Purigen 100ml in Filter Bag ( Middle rack of left basket replacing the carbon pad)

Innovative Marine AuqaGadget - HydroFill - ATO Pump System
Innovative Marine AuqaGadget - HydroFill - ATO Controller System-

Jebao WP-25 Wave Maker with Controller Aquarium Pump, 800 to 2000 GPH-
Maxi-Jet ML90512 1200 Multi-Use Water Pump and Circulation Pump, 295/1300 GPH For Water change Pumping

Cobalt Aquatics 100-Watt Neo-Therm Electronic Heater

BRS 4 Stage Value RO/DI System - 75GPD

Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.) by Agriculture Solutions

Total of $1,811 I THINK I will GET SECOND JOB to pay for this.

That wp-25 is most likely going to be way overkill as in sandstorm city in a tank that size, search around for a wp-10 if jebao is the direction you're headed.

I don't have any experience with the aquagadget ato stuff its newer than the tunze.

Like I said try to start simple, try to learn what works for you and what doesn't and purchase gear from there. Front loading all of your equipment that isn't 100% necessary could end up being very costly if you decide you dont like or need it. Ask anyone here what crap they regret buying, I guarantee they have an item or 2 they hated or never needed.

Does the nuvo 24 still have cracking issues? I read a thread today on my old club forum about a guys nuvo 24 that broke.

I know it has happened to a bunch if others in the past

Does the nuvo 24 still have cracking issues? I read a thread today on my old club forum about a guys nuvo 24 that broke.

I heard that was a shipping issue on the first batch of them and they thickened the glass after that and supposedly problem fixed. but yeah, i think there are about 10 topics in the aio forum of ones busting.

I spoke with the company. They informed me that it only happened to the first batch of tanks. the re-did the design and iit doesn't happen any more.

That wp-25 is most likely going to be way overkill as in sandstorm city in a tank that size, search around for a wp-10 if jebao is the direction you're headed.

Can't I dial it back to 800 GPH?

That's still a lot for such a shallow tank. Sps only need so much light, most cant even make use of it all, you would be better off with the 120 ramped up more then the 160 ramped down and not being used to full capabilities.

Thanks Cameron.

Do I need to add chemicals for an SPS tank?

I know you would need to add calcium. How much? What else? (I'm New at this)

Why do the LFS tell me that it is too hard to keep?

Well even lps need good parameters,

1. Have you ever had a reef, sps are more demanding then lps and softies however with big risk comes big reward... But also big failure so be prepared

2. To answer your question simply no. And yes. For any reef with a coral with a skeleton lps or sps, you need to keep the calcium and alkalinity and magnesium very stable. Live aquaria.com has the proper parameters of a reef tank. However your water changes may be enough calc and alk replacement at first.

3. Do you want a mixed reef or sps dominated

In all honesty if sps is where you are headed with this you need to read read and read some more. Dosing while not 100% necessary is still highly recommended for sps tanks and you don't want to go dumping crap into a nano without knowing what you are doing or what your dumping in is doing.

I am not the source to go to on sps as I do not keep them for the reason of I like simplicity with my set ups as it works better with my lifestyle.

In all honesty if sps is where you are headed with this you need to read read and read some more. Dosing while not 100% necessary is still highly recommended for sps tanks and you don't want to go dumping crap into a nano without knowing what you are doing or what your dumping in is doing.

I am not the source to go to on sps as I do not keep them for the reason of I like simplicity with my set ups as it works better with my lifestyle.

This exactly

Sps are very temperamental about parameter swings so while you will most likely need dose certain things you will want to read lots and find a good trusted product. I'm still wondering if you have ever had a reef and how much research you have done because sps are more for people who have some experience, not saying you can't, believe me people have had sps in worse conditions just saying be prepared for a few challenges and maybe a loss or two. You definitly have the lighting and flow for sps. Good luck to you I'll be following this build as I love these tanks.

This exactly

Sps are very temperamental about parameter swings so while you will most likely need dose certain things you will want to read lots and find a good trusted product. I'm still wondering if you have ever had a reef and how much research you have done because sps are more for people who have some experience, not saying you can't, believe me people have had sps in worse conditions just saying be prepared for a few challenges and maybe a loss or two. You definitly have the lighting and flow for sps. Good luck to you I'll be following this build as I love these tanks.

I am new to Reef Tanks. I only have experience in Cichlids, Fresh water and regular saltwater fish..

I sold my fresh and saltwater tank to pay for this Nano Tank.

I guess I should just start with Soft Coral and then work my way up from there.

FYI: I made my aquarium purchase.

• 2 months later...

Hey man,

This is my first post as I'm new to this forum.

Ive been contemplating a Nuvo 24 for the last 2 months are so, much like what I've seen of your process making sure i have a good idea of what I'm looking at in terms of gear/cost.

This will be my first personal saltwater tank but I have 3 in the house that are my brothers (he has been in the hobby for 7 years).

I love the "to buy" gear list but it sounds like your overwhelming yourself. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, stick to the basics to start and let it grow if you love it. I feel like there is a lot of stuff on your list that isn't necessary, especially right away.

Don't let something thats supposed to be enjoyable make you go broke and get stressed out.

anyways, just my two cents as someone who is also planning a similar tank.

Do you have any updates on this tank?

Archived