SaltCritters.com

AIO 1/2" acrylic FRAG tank, fueled by fishy nightmares

tigrtraps

New AIO frag tank build!! After seeing the JBJ 20 Rimless tank I started looking around at options. The JBJ was nice, but I didn't like the price. I've had too many frags sitting on my sand in my tank and I'm tired of battling a wrasse to keep them face up.

Of all places, Ebay had the tank that I ended up going with, A 20x20x8 rimless acrylic AIO. 1/2" thick acrylic, two different heights for the frag racks, and the right price B) . No pump with it, but I have pumps sitting around to fit the job. The tank came yesterday!!

1tqYRip.jpg?1

(Not even the holiday temp workers at Fedex could destroy this packaging)

I was leery of an Ebay tank, but it's put together a lot cleaner than my 65 gallon GlassCages display tank.

XUUfC40.jpg

For lighting I've been wanting the MicMol LED. It's a compact little light, has timers built in, and claims 30 watts of power. Should be enough for an 8" tank. Ebay was the source for the light as well as a seller on there has a "full spectrum" light. It has what I care about, at least one 'UV' led. It also comes with a aluminium bracket that can sit on the filtration area lip.

(Iphone potato pic, don't mind the extreme blueness)

615awQD.jpg

So now I just need to find a 20"x20" stand of some sort. Turns out that isn't so easy :rant: .

PAR measurements coming tonight.

This will be a nice little set-up. Are you located near an ikea? They have some stands for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately no <_< . I've found a few side tables that are 20x20 but they are sitting in the $150 range. Might try a used/antique furniture store. The tank itself shouldn't be more than 105lbs when full.

patrickbruno91

Unfortunately no <_< . I've found a few side tables that are 20x20 but they are sitting in the $150 range. Might try a used/antique furniture store. The tank itself shouldn't be more than 105lbs when full.

A nice antique stand would look nice.

Blergh!! The PAR meter wasn't available tonight, after driving to the LFS to try and get it.

Anyone have a good idea for building media racks for the all in one portion? I was thinking of using eggcrate to support some filter floss in the first chamber and then will likely keep chemipure that can just float around in the 2nd chamber.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

New AIO frag tank build!! After seeing the JBJ 20 Rimless tank I started looking around at options. The JBJ was nice, but I didn't like the price. I've had too many frags sitting on my sand in my tank and I'm tired of battling a wrasse to keep them face up.

Of all places, Ebay had the tank that I ended up going with, A 20x20x8 rimless acrylic AIO. 1/2" thick acrylic, two different heights for the frag racks, and the right price B) . No pump with it, but I have pumps sitting around to fit the job. The tank came yesterday!!

1tqYRip.jpg?1

(Not even the holiday temp workers at Fedex could destroy this packaging)

I was leery of an Ebay tank, but it's put together a lot cleaner than my 65 gallon GlassCages display tank.

XUUfC40.jpg

For lighting I've been wanting the MicMol LED. It's a compact little light, has timers built in, and claims 30 watts of power. Should be enough for an 8" tank. Ebay was the source for the light as well as a seller on there has a "full spectrum" light. It has what I care about, at least one 'UV' led. It also comes with a aluminium bracket that can sit on the filtration area lip.

(Iphone potato pic, don't mind the extreme blueness)

615awQD.jpg

So now I just need to find a 20"x20" stand of some sort. Turns out that isn't so easy :rant: .

PAR measurements coming tonight.

Very beautiful and priced at a steal!

I am impressed, bent 1/2 acrylic is very hard to do! From the pics on ebay the acrylic looks dark, is that polycarbonate?

Very beautiful and priced at a steal!

I am impressed, bent 1/2 acrylic is very hard to do! From the pics on ebay the acrylic looks dark, is that polycarbonate?

Thanks Mike. The bottom and filtration area are straight black. Is there any way for me to tell if it is acrylic vs poly-carbonate? Are there advantages or disadvantages if it is poly-carbonate? You are the expert around here on tanks like this so I'd like to hear good or bad :).

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks Mike. The bottom and filtration area are straight black. Is there any way for me to tell if it is acrylic vs poly-carbonate? Are there advantages or disadvantages if it is poly-carbonate? You are the expert around here on tanks like this so I'd like to hear good or bad :).

No worries,

It all makes sense as soon as you said the bottom piece is black. That is why in certain photos and in person the top will appear to look dark. Light travels through acrylic so, if you have a black base you will see that hue appear on the surface of your edges.

The reason I asked poly-carbonate is that the edges are never as clear as acrylic in my experience, it's a shade darker.

Also you cannot flame polish poly-carbonate it burns. It must be polished differently.

The greatest difference that I see is that poly-carbonate is much more impact resistant than acrylic. There are some really nice videos on youtube that can be seen for comparison.

The clearest color is where you want acrylic over poly-carbonate.

Here you can see one of my builds appears very clear on the top and side edges because of the bottom, had I gone with black bottom then it would change the overall appearance of the tank above.

2yuxd2u.jpg

No worries,

It all makes sense as soon as you said the bottom piece is black. That is why in certain photos and in person the top will appear to look dark. Light travels through acrylic so, if you have a black base you will see that hue appear on the surface of your edges.

The reason I asked poly-carbonate is that the edges are never as clear as acrylic in my experience, it's a shade darker.

Also you cannot flame polish poly-carbonate it burns. It must be polished differently.

The greatest difference that I see is that poly-carbonate is much more impact resistant than acrylic. There are some really nice videos on youtube that can be seen for comparison.

The clearest color is where you want acrylic over poly-carbonate.

Here you can see one of my builds appears very clear on the top and side edges because of the bottom, had I gone with black bottom then it would change the overall appearance of the tank above.

2yuxd2u.jpg

Now that is a good explanation. I'd like to say the tank I bought is as clear as the ones you sell, but I haven't grabbed one of your tanks yet :D. All your pics make your acrylic work look like glass.

It lives!!

qwNGrFl.jpg

The light has a nice sharp blue hue. No PAR meter yet though :(. The pics don't show the blue as nicely as it is in person (as is common). I'd say it's right on an 18k look.

xUzYAWs.jpg

Salt has been mixing in the tank for a few hours. I had to order a 1/2" bulkhead but I have the return pump running in the main portion of the tank right now.

Photo of the frag tank beside the 65 gallon display tank.

OGgDyMI.jpg

patrickbruno91

I was looking at one of those lights a few months ago, but didn't really see too many reviews on them, I will follow your thread to see how it is working out. I do like that it is programmable. The color looks great, can't wait to see that thing stocked up.

That's a great looking tank and a awesome price. The seller does some nice work. Will be following along.

The tank is farrr better then I ever expected. I've, poorly, put together a couple acrylic tanks before. I know what bad seams look like :owned:.

The rounded edges are something I wouldn't pass on now. They look nice from across the room.

OMNRX8D.jpg

The seems themselves are clean!! (tank still has bubbles around it, that's mainly what you see on the edges).

afRft43.jpg

Otherwise my Amazon Prime paid for itself again. Ordered a bulkhead kit and put overnight shipping on it yesterday at 4pm. It arrived today, on Christmas Eve without issue. Thanks UPS! I just put some mushrooms in the tank along with a piece of live rock from my sump to see how they fair.

Frags are in, and they are digging it.

bOYSfja.jpg

2ljo1MY.jpg

Anyone have opinions on high flow vs low flow for a frag tank? Right now its a bunch of acans and a few SPS. This tank will likely see a lot of everything.

I found fish....and they're Damsel's!! Mwuahahaha

tRFdljV.jpg

I have 3 of these little Talbot Damsel's in the frag tank. They add a nice amount of activity as well as giving me some of the natural fish waste corals love.

2 weeks in and the acans are diggin the frag tank and the new MicMol light. Still no PAR numbers, but I'm running the light at 80% across the 3 channels and the acans are at the edge of the tank. It's so awesomely easy to spot feed them in this shallow of a tank B).

tnxrWQt.jpg

looking good. Great color on the acans!

Thanks patrickbruno91, I'm always paranoid they will color shift. I feed Fauna Marin LPS pellets and I've never seen them change since I got them though.

I've been waiting for this arctic vortex of death to pass so I can order a ReefCleaners pack. I'm thinking one emerald crab and a fair amount of snails to keep everything nice and clean. I forgot how flipping easy it is to do a water change when I'm only dealing with 13 gallons! I've also thrown a small amount of carbon in as I just always run carbon in my tanks, keeps the water clean and sucks up some waste.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update. The 3 damsels dart around between the holes and chase each other. I've added a 1 armed emerald crab for general cleanup, along with a bunch of snails.

A comparison pic below of the corals from today, similar to the pic from 3 weeks ago.

tUXtmEL.jpg

2 weeks in and the acans are diggin the frag tank and the new MicMol light. Still no PAR numbers, but I'm running the light at 80% across the 3 channels and the acans are at the edge of the tank. It's so awesomely easy to spot feed them in this shallow of a tank B).

tnxrWQt.jpg

I LOVE the acan you have in the top of this pic. Gorgeous! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived