Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HELP! Missing Livestock!

wow.such.chris

wow.such.chris

Last monday I bought a Banggai. It wasn't eating and I hadn't known they were 'endangered' so I decided it wasn't the right fish for me. Keep in mind, it wasn't eating my frozen blend. It was munching on the vast amount of pods in the tank and acting 'normal.'

Yesterday I took the Banggai to the LFS and traded in for an ocellaris clown. After acclimation and a few hours in the tank I noticed he was breathing fast/hard. So I tested water.... and went to bed hoping for the best.

SG: 1.025

NH3: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: under 10 mg/L

This morning he is nowhere to be found. I have a lid. I removed all the removable rock and still nothing. My worst fears for this tank have come true. There is a false rock wall in the back corners of the tank and my fear is that he's dead and trapped behind it. I've looked behind as much as I can but still dont see him.

What do I do? Remove all livestock and try to remove the wall? (this would be insane) Or brace for the ammonia spike?

Remaining livestock: single zoa polyp, fiji leather, acan colony, and blasto colony... light stocking

wow.such.chris

*bump* out of desparation...

heating up 5gal of water in a bucket to transfer the coral into when I remove the wall this afternoon...

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I tried to see specs for your tank, but it doesn't look like you have a tank thread. Do you have any areas how could have jumped into or any holes in your lid, like around a hob filter? I have always have kids on my tanks (kids and dogs with long hair!) but have still found fish carpet surfing or in the back chambers.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Your foam wall is very cool. I hope you don't have to remove it. Def. check the floor around your tank in addition to taking the filter apart.

How big was the clown? If he was small maybe you could just brace for the spike and do lots of water changes. Hopefully someone more knowledgable comes along to help.

wow.such.chris

If I remove the wall it will definitely go back in, it just would be a HUGE effort and big mess. Plus I have an ochem exam Friday and don't really have time for this.

The clown was maybe 1.25"

Thanks for the response, I'm going to look a lot harder once I get home.

wow.such.chris

After seeking advice from Albert I've decided to leave the wall and combat with water changes once I see ammonia. Virtually positive it is dead in the tank.

wow.such.chris

I remember checking out your build when you first did it. Turned out really well after it colored up. Sucks about your Clown.

Thank you, it's a work in progress. My fish situation has been rather discouraging so far that I'm starting to debate going without any.

One of the most common and available fish in the hobby is endangered?

yeah, you didn't know? :o

Sooch, do you have a clean up crew? nass snails and hermit crabs? They can eat a fish entirely very quickly. If it died, they could have easily consumed it and you would never find a body.

Then why don't we release the thousands that are captive bred back into their habitat?

Don't think thousands is enough considering how many their used to be. People prob wont care until they are extinct. Meanwhile.. my Petco has about 30 of them :(

wow.such.chris

CUC: 2 scarlet hermits, 5 nass, 1 trochus, and over 70 dwarf cerith.... yeah idk how 70 happened. I've thought about pulling a bunch out but my NO3 stays under 5 ppm always.

Here's an update as to how this whole missing clown ordeal has gone. 3 days after he went missing I found a good chunk of clown-flesh and fin floating in my AC70. So, the fish definitely died inside the tank and params were golden so I'm chalking this death up to poor health and sloppy acclimation on my part.

When I started this tank I started with dry rock and pure ammonia dosing. I cycled a little over 10 weeks with LARGE amounts of ammonia being taken care of in under 24hrs. During the weekish after the clown death ammonia hardly showed up on my Seachem test kit. It was there, but it was no "spike." Corals took it fine. I'm guessing this was because of the well established biological filter. Still waiting it out, currently I'm at my parents for Thanksgiving and am hoping the spike doesn't suddenly show up. Oh yeah, forgot to mention two 25% water changes were done to help.

On a side note. I bought an awesome yellow fiji leather a while back which came with a limpet hitch hicker that I kept under the assumption they eat algae. The leather hrived under my LEDs and mp10, really grew quick and PE was amazing! Until I started noticing brown spots on the edges. A month after battling brown spots I un-anchored it from the rock it was epoxied to thinking it needed less flow. I turn it around and see it tearing in half. Moved it to low flow and that night saw the limpet on the coral eating it. The limpet was a keyhole limpet and was devouring my leather. (Also why it came in on the leather) I removed the limpet but am thinking it may be too late for the leather. We'll see after Thanksgiving!

Archived