Coral Vue Hydros

LEDs Browning Out - Not just Violet, now RB

jack1978

I built a DIY LED fixture that's been running about a year. After the first 2 - 3 months I noticed all of the True Violets browned out.....lenses turned to brown lumps.

I just ordered additional LEDs (not violet) to add to the existing mix. Just got everything ready and noticed a few of my Royal Blues are now doing the exact same as the Violets.

Pretty frustrated at this point. Anyone else with this issue?

All LEDs have been run at the 30 - 40% range.

Pictures below....

Black wire = True Violet

Blue wire = Royal Blue

VIOLETSide.jpg

Here's the other side, minus the True Violets. NW and RB.

LEDRBNWSide.jpg

Up close pic of the RB starting to brown.

RB-NWLED.jpg

Running these off of the Inventronics 40w 700mA drivers, dimmed to about 30 - 40%.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I also had my violets blow.....I just replaced them with RB. I didnt notice much of a difference in color with the violets anyway.

Ya, I gave up on violets. But now my RBs are browning out.

duncan-junkie

Yeah, that is weird.....Is your fixture getting really hot? Are you running the RB at the recomended mA or a little lower? Im no expert at LED's by any means.....but maybe you should adjust the current (mA) lower. If there browning, I would think that there burning up somewhere...for whatever reason? Are you running fans? Good thing the LED's themself are realitivly cheap, you might just wanna replace them?

They're all on pots and dialed down to the 30 - 40% range. Cooled. Heatsink is barely warm.

Don't want to replace them if there is some inherent issue with these....could have already bought a warrantied unit for what I have into this thing.....although it's been fantastic for the coral and nems.

Is that a thermal pad between the star and the heatsink? My aquastyle RB burned out as well. I used thermal epoxy to attach them. I am just using Cree and Luxeon from now on. You get what you pay for.

Is that a thermal pad between the star and the heatsink? My aquastyle RB burned out as well. I used thermal epoxy to attach them. I am just using Cree and Luxeon from now on. You get what you pay for.

Ya, that is a thermal pad. The damn things weren't cheap....but, next time they will not be used again....the LEDs that is.

Is it possible that the emission from your violets turned the lenses on the rbs brown? That would be my first thought as they are close together with no optics/reflectors to separate them.

Is it possible that the emission from your violets turned the lenses on the rbs brown? That would be my first thought as they are close together with no optics/reflectors to separate them.

I was wondering the same thing......only 2 of the RBs so far with a third turning.....but, possible. The second heatsink has no violets and one of those RBs is starting to brown. I'm thinking just not the quality they're supposed to be.

Thanks for the input.

I like how Steves LEDs sends out alcohol pads with their stuff.

To wipe the oils from your fingers and hands off the LEDs before you power them on the first time.

I dont think Ive seen that procedure written anywhere else. I would suspect a lot of browning lenses are associated with hand finger oils. Popped LEDs I suspect a short to heatsink, or overdriving them, even for a short time.

I like how Steves LEDs sends out alcohol pads with their stuff.

To wipe the oils from your fingers and hands off the LEDs before you power them on the first time.

I dont think Ive seen that procedure written anywhere else. I would suspect a lot of browning lenses are associated with hand finger oils. Popped LEDs I suspect a short to heatsink, or overdriving them, even for a short time.

Ya, I wondered about the finger oils as well. I used latex gloves when I assembled. Again, not over driven or over heated. And minus the two RBs, only the Violets burned out. Thinking low quality diodes/lenses or maybe the violets emitted enough to start the RBs degrading.

Well, if you used Aquastyle leds, tough luck. That's the quality of the leds.

Stick with Crees or Luxeon. Plenty of places now stock them for very low prices, and the extra output actually makes them a better buy $/lumen wise. You can't get violets from Cree or Luxeon, but Steve's violets and Led Group Buy violets are good IME.

In my experience (with high end computers, cpu and gpu heatsinks and ramsinks, mosfet coolers and such) thermal pads are bad. Really bad. You'd be better off using an actual thermal paste. The pads just don't allow enough heat transfer to actually be useful.

Well, if you used Aquastyle leds, tough luck. That's the quality of the leds.Stick with Crees or Luxeon. Plenty of places now stock them for very low prices, and the extra output actually makes them a better buy $/lumen wise. You can't get violets from Cree or Luxeon, but Steve's violets and Led Group Buy violets are good IME.
Nope. All came from LED Group Buy. So far, the NW are going strong.

In my experience (with high end computers, cpu and gpu heatsinks and ramsinks, mosfet coolers and such) thermal pads are bad. Really bad. You'd be better off using an actual thermal paste. The pads just don't allow enough heat transfer to actually be useful.
I got them from an electronics engineer who uses them on all of his builds. I don't think they're the issue....only because many others have had issues with the violets lenses. I was just surprised at the RBs starting to do the same.Might try the paste on the next build though.Thanks for all the replies.

I got them from an electronics engineer who uses them on all of his builds.

Possibly. Then again I have a long history of dealing with people who think they know what they're doing when they don't. But if it's a continuing issue with that specific diode then that's most likely the culprit.

Possibly. Then again I have a long history of dealing with people who think they know what they're doing when they don't. But if it's a continuing issue with that specific diode then that's most likely the culprit.

The guy's legit. It's not the pads. I believe I confused people with using the wrong terminology. The diodes did not burn out the lenses have browned out. A problem know with the violets....I was surprised to see it doing the same with the RBs.

Anyone have longterm success with any violets?

Lens, the chip surface to protect the LED - covered with silicone or (bad)PC ???

PC = Poly Carbonate?

They're hard to the touch. And the now brown ones....crumble.

I ordered these at the end of 2011 or early 2012.

Yes, Poly Carbonate, it is wrong, now Poly Carbonate is already not used as a protection of chip, only silicone (for UV LED).

Thank you.

Have you had experience with silicone? Does it hold up with UV?

Archived