Pod Your Reef

New 20G Cube - what equipment would you change?

filippo

Hello :)

I'm waiting for my 20 gallon PicO III (18x18x16) to be built and delivered and I'm putting a list of equipment I'd like to get.

• Stand: Custom made, will look identical to the Elos one - link
  • Lights: Maxspect Nano Razor R420R 16,000K LED Light Fixture
  • Pump: 1 EcoTech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ Wireless EcoSMART Driver
  • Backup Battery: EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup (Will power my pump only in case of emergency)
  • Controller: Neptune Systems Apex AquaController System with Standard Grade pH Probe, Neptune Lab Grade Conductivity/Salinity Probe, Advanced Leak Detection Module, Leak Detection Probe - Low Profile, I/O Break Out Box, and PM2 Conductivity/Temperature/I/O Expansion Box
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
  • Heater: Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100 Watt Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display
  • Ground Protector: Tower Shock Buster Portable GFCI
  • Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix
  • Chiller: TBD. Won't probably need it for a 20G with LED lights in San Diego
  • Skimmer: TBD. Little waste load, will see if I'll want/need one. Otherwise, which brand?
  • Sump/Return Pump: None. The PicO III has an AIO filter in the back, not looking to drill a hole and attaching a sump

What would you change, add, remove, and why?

I was going to recommend a different salt mix but it I cannot seem to find a link to the salt mix that I last bought. Long story short I used to use Instant Ocean and I was not impressed.

Any plans for what is going in the AIO filter yet?

Looks like a pretty good equipment list. Will a skimmer fit?

Yeah I'd rather drill and sump it, then see a HOB or something inside the actual tank (as it sounds like the "hidden area" may be taken up with the AIO filtration thats being designed into it.

I was going to recommend a different salt mix but it I cannot seem to find a link to the salt mix that I last bought. Long story short I used to use Instant Ocean and I was not impressed.

Any plans for what is going in the AIO filter yet?

IO and Reef Crystals are two different salts for different needs. IMO there is nothing wrong with RC I have used it for years, many LFS around the world use it and have for years, and corals grow and do just fine with it..... for years :)

Thanks all for the feedback so far. :)

No sump. I had a 120G back in PHX with sump, insane RO/DI system from the garage, etc. and it was too much to maintain (I know, this nano is different, but still). This is exactly why I am going with an AIO system: not looking forward to adding a sump and return pump with plumbing. The tank looks pretty much like a Solana 34G. Here's the link: http://www.picoaquariums.com/pico-series/10-pico-iii.html

Filter has a 4" depth so a small/nano skimmer will fit in nicely. Not planning to mess with it much, so I won't be adding a refugium. I'll keep it as it is and maybe add a skimmer.

Not sure if I should save the $200 for the Tunze ATO and go with autotopoff.com and let Apex do the work. Thoughts? :)

I think he just meant instant ocean brand.. They're both instant ocean..

This^

I don't think that there is anything wrong with it I just think that there is better. JMO

Pico tanks are so sexy

hell yeah! :D i can't wait for mine. i don't mind waiting 3-5 weeks for it. i was hoping to find a used Ecoxotic 25G from but oh well.

This^

I don't think that there is anything wrong with it I just think that there is better. JMO

"better" is subjective.. If you want low kh and low calcium (zeo systems), rc isn't for you.. If you want elevated levels rc is a good place to start..

I think that is a solid list. I used regular IO and IO RC for quite sometime and was always pleased with it.

Red Sea Coral pro would also be a pretty good option but still, IO would be more than good enough. The nicest, and I mean the nicest SPS tank I have ever seen in my entire life uses regular IO.

Salt, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix - 160gal Bucket

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=AS9535&idCartRow=55382485&isKit=0&child=AS9539

I'll be honest, I am being cheap here. After spending $900 on the Apex system alone (Then add MP10, ATO, etc.) I wanted to save on salt -- IO RC is the cheapest one I found. :P

After you get the 1st bucket, keep the bucket and buy the 200g boxes (4x 50g bags) ;) Also, before use, roll the bucket on the floor for a minute to keep everything "balanced" as different sized particles will tend to fall out of mix and settle basically, but rolling it instead of shaking it will help keep it more properly mixed.

By sea salt, I mean the one you find at a grocery store.

After you get the 1st bucket, keep the bucket and buy the 200g boxes ;) Also, before use, roll the bucket on the floor for a minute to keep everything "balanced" as different sized particles will tend to fall out of mix and settle basically, but rolling it instead of shaking it will help keep it more properly mixed.

good tip! thanks :)

Just go to Wendy's and snatch it by the handful I don't think they have a limit on how much you take if you get fries LOL

By sea salt, I mean the one you find at a grocery store.

good tip! thanks :)

No problem :)

Archived