Cultivated Reef

OH YEAH, SHAKE IT! ~ API Nitrate test

DrVENKMAN

Last night I read somewhere (I think it was OSRAS) that when using the API test kit, if you only shake the nitrate test solution #2 for only 30 seconds as indicated in the directions it causes false negative readings. It stated the solution should be shaken for at least 2 minutes. I did not believe that shaking for 30 seconds or four hours would make any difference. If there was an issue such as this why would API recommend in their instructions to shake for 30 seconds and not for 2 minutes? In attempt to prove this statement wrong I went home and tested this; shook vigorously for thirty seconds, 0ppm, shook for 2 minutes, 5-10ppm. Commence water change. Maybe my tank stability is an artifact of not shaking enough. This would be the first time I could ever be accused of not shaking it enough.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this or have another test system in addition to API to corroborate these values?

jedimasterben

Pretty much anyone will agree that you should throw away that test kit and purchase a quality, accurate one, such as Salifert or Red Sea. I prefer Red Sea, it is very accurate and will give a reading as low as 0.25ppm.

Their ammonia test is garbage. The others haven't been too bad for me if you shake the hell out of them.

Oh amd make sure regeants aren't expired.

The nitrate kit drives me crazy. I believe the instructions say: 10 drops bottle 1 and shake in tube for 5 secs, shake bottle 2 for 30 secs add ten drops then shake for 1 min. Allow five mins to develop color. I've been going crazy with my trates @20 for two weeks. I need to upgrade as well. Arm gets tired of all the shaking.

Pretty much anyone will agree that you should throw away that test kit and purchase a quality, accurate one, such as Salifert or Red Sea. I prefer Red Sea, it is very accurate and will give a reading as low as 0.25ppm.

+1 ditch the API kit. I was getting calcium readings of 380 and kh readings of 6. After a week of dosing without a change I brought a water sample to my lfs. Calcium was 450 and kh was 9.1. I could have really been in trouble if I kept my elevated dosing measurement...

Archived